CalTIP busts Delta poachers

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Capt Steve, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Wardens recently arrested four people for felony conspiracy and the sale of sport-caught fish. They had over 700 bluegill and stripers.

"Charged and arrested were, Tam Thi Dang, 46, of Sacramento, Dong Van Le, 48, of Sacramento, Thiet Van Nguyen, 50, of Stockton, and Nguyen Doan Thi Hui, 50, of Stockton. Three of the suspects were booked into the Rio Consumnes Correctional Center in South Sacramento and one was booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail. The maximum penalty for a conviction of Penal Code Section 182 (a) (1), (Conspiracy) is $10,000 and up to one year in state prison or county jail. The maximum fine for a violation of Fish and Game Code 7121 (Sale of sport caught fish) is $7,500."

STORY HERE

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Damn Vietnamese, think that they can do what they want.:angry::angry::angry:

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    We got a place around here that is selling fish I believe to be illegal, but not sure who to call or if I should act on it....

Glad these guys were caught and booked, Here's to hoping that they get hit with the book

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Glad they caught THEM....And are they in for some serious FINE'S and all of them WILL do JAIL time!!!! Plus everthing seized will NOT be returned they lost there boat there fishing gear and they will have there fishing licence's IF they had any revoked for i belive ten years to life!!!!!!!!:smile2:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    And they will get nothin more than a smack on the wrist. The poor defenseless imigrant defense will come out or you are just pickin on them due to thier race. I got some good ideas if ya wanna put me in charge.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post steve.... bout time more folks did some "Caltip" against the poachers...... Maybe fishing is all that they have done all of their live other than planting rice.....Now that they are legal aliens (from Viet Nam) I guess that the ACLU might take over and defend them.....Got the same problem down here in Southern Ca. Not enough wardens to "check things out" and so folk have to "Caltip"

bayrunner ray

7. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Maybe not. These California abalone poachers got what they deserved:

Van Ky Do, Doanh Thi Nguyen, Nam Huu Ngo convicted of felony conspiracy to harvest and sell sport taken abalone. Sentenced to 16 months county, $20,000 fine, vehicle forfeited/60 days county, $5000 fine, S&S, /6 months county, $10,000 fine, S&S respectively.

Van Hy Vi, Queyen To Huen, Raymond Tich, Phuc Ky Luong, Mei Mei Huong, Hin Huong, Kong Le, Peter Gee, Randy Ou all convicted of conspiracy to harvest and sell sport taken abalone. Sentenced to 1 year county, $12,500, vehicle forfeited, S&S/ 120 days county, $3000/1 year county, $11,500, vehicle forfeited, S&S/1year county, $10,000,S&S/90 days county,$10,000, vehicle forfeited, S&S/6 mo. County,$10,000, S&S/90 days county,$2,500/6 mo. County,$5,000, S&S/13 days county,$3,500 respectively.

Benson Le, Nghia Thi Le, Cong Van Le, Ming Van Le all convicted of conspiracy to harvest abalone for commercial purposes. 90 days county jail, vehicle forfeited, $2,500/dismissed (5150)/9 mo county,$2,500/6 mo county, $2,500 respectively.

Nam Nguyen, Peter Gee, Richard Gee, Chingpin Ou, Sau Van Pham all convicted of felony conspiracy to harvest sell and purchase sport taken abalone. 3 years state prison, $15,000, license revoked for life/3 years state prison, 15,000, license revoked for life/3 years state prison,$15,000 fine, license revoked for life/16 mo county,$10,815,license revoked for life/16 mo. County $10, 815/vehicle forfeited, license revoked for life.

Jimmy Fong, sentenced to 90 days in jail, fined $20,000 and his sport and commercial license suspended for life, which results in the close of his ‘Goldmine Seafood’ business on pier 45 in San Francisco.

Vu Truong, Bich Chi Thi Tran, Tung Thanh Duong, Than Chi Luong all convicted of felony conspiracy to harvest and sell sport taken abalone. 1 year county, $30,000, license revoked for life, S&S/90 days jail, $15,000,vehicle forfeited/ license revoked for life/40 days county,$15,000,license revoked for life,S&S/90 days county,$15,000, vehicle forfeited, license revoked for life.

Duc Huu Huynh, Nhan Thi Huynh, convicted of purchasing sport taken abalone. Owners of the Vung Tau Restaurant in San Jose. Fined a total of $96,000. Search and seizure probation terms.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    George we need to get togather I have a coupl myself:wink:

9. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Good work by whoever turned them in.
    Too many people don't want to get involved but the CALTIP hot line makes easy. Keep them on speed dial.
    1-888-DFG-CALTIP
    (1-888-334-2258)

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Now why did I suffer a sense of regret the Vietnamese community was singled out for this feature. Are they the only ones who has ever sold "sport" fish. Maybe the condemnation should be to those individual's arrested and not to the nationality of the persons.

11. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Loos liee some high priced sport fish. BAD TASTE SHOOWIE. THANKS SAM DAVIS

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    well said. i admit that it seems like the asians don't hide the poaching as much, but i think is because they are used to catching all and eating and don't know or feel they are doing wrong. i've seen a lot of others doing illigal things too.
    i turned in a man and his boy (about 8) that caught a large lobster out of season, plus on hook and line. happened rangers came by and i pointed out boat to them and told them they stuffed it down into bow of boat. the idiot had the nerve to yell at me and call me a turncoat for turning in a fellow white man. damn near fell out of boat laughing at him.
    gary

13. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Unfortunately here in Ca. there is a problem with the Vietnamese specifically disregarding fish and game laws.
    That's not to say that the entire ethnic group is culpable. There is also a problem with Illegal Hispanics that do not follow fish and game laws. However with the Illegals it usually amounts to fishing with out license or size and take limit violations usually on a small scale, personal use type of thing.
    The violations by Vietnamese are usually on a much larger scale and involve the sale of the catch. These people are destroying our resource for personal financial gain.

14. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    This is the best news Iv'e heard all day! While I agree that the Vietnameese community (I know I spelled that wrong) shouldn't be singled out, every time I have whitnessed poaching it has been by someone of Asin decent. I think awareness rather than prejudice is the best policy here.
    Linz

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    It not just targeting a specific group. The Vietnamese are known for poaching as they think they own the land, or are still mad because at us because of the war.:angry: They had a problem with them somewhere near San Francisco as the duck population was declining in a park, come to figure out they thought it was a free for all. The japanese, chinese, koreans, and other asian countries dont do this in America, at least not in the public eye. QUESTION??? Are abalone protected in California?? I havent lived there in 13 years so I dont know. That might be some of the reason. If anyone knows give a reply.

16. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Answer- you are allowed three red abalone per day 24 per year total. North of the San Francisco Bay.
    South of the center of the mouth of the bay all abalone are protected.
    Poaching of immature abalone continues to be a problem in southern Ca. waters.

17. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I agree with you Ozzy. It's unfortunate that they don't have any concept of conservation and they don't respect our rules and values so that our children can enjoy what we have. I guess the reason that I was taking a more diplomatic stand, is becuse I have several Asian buddies and a couple Filipino buddies that are avid fisherman and they have taught me some of what I know. They all follow the rules and have a great respect for our fisheries. I joke with them sometimes when they catch a shaker and they are a good sport about it. They are aware of the poaching that is done by their people and don't agree with it at all. I know if I was them I would hate to be judged for the actions of others. I completely understand and share your aggrevation for these criminals and will continue to fight it whenever I can. I know everyone here feels the same and will continue to do the same. As far as the abalone, I believe the daily bag limit is 2. I'm sure they are poached like crazy as well:angry:
    Linz

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Lindsay, I was born and raised in So.Cal. and have many friends that are phillipino, check, russian, black, yellow, and so forth. I just believe in good people, heck some of the my most hated are white trash. If they break the law, deal with the punishment. "IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE" and I'm tired of them acting stupid about our laws as they sure are not DUMB about how to drain our Goverment Handouts, especially our BELOVED MILITARY WHICH THEY WILL NOT PAY ANY TAXES TO HELP OUT. Sorry for the lenghty rant guys, time to cool off.

19. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    I was talking to a CDFG warden this morning and he told me there are less than 200 wardens for all of California. Florida has 750.

20. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I agree 100% Ozz. Cool down......:smile2: