Calming my mind a bit.... and finding success

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by sal_jr, Jun 17, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Hey guys.

I have been needing a bit of time away from the world- my mom in law is a bit sick tto say the least and I have been caring for her home and her health and helping my father in law. Ill be back on Tuesday in full force with more info but I thought I'd pop in and drop this bit of info....

Better news. I took my boat with me on the way to her house for the week. In the mornings when everyone is still asleep Ive been sneaking off to lake Cadillac for a couple of hours. So far I have landed/released/cleaned/ and-or frozen/eaten/given-away the following:
    18 lbs of BONELESS bluegill and crappie fillets,
    a 27 inch walleye,
    a 25 inch walleye,
    a 35 inch pike,
    two 20 inch pike
    a 15 inch pike,
    3 bass, and
    2 dozen perch.

Not bad for 7-10am, eh?

See you all tuesday. :wink: God Bless.

Sal

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Glad to hear from you, and hope your MIL is feeling better. I know she's a special lady the way you talk about her. Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You are sneaky aren't you? Catchng fish whil we have to work. I also hope your MIL gets better.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take care of your first family first, your second family will still be here.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the catches,Prayers are sent out for you and your family!

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    It's great to hear from you Sal. I'm glad that you have found a little time to fish while carring for your MIL.
    Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
    Sparky

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Good to hear from you sal. If you need anything call

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    You are in our thoughts and prayers! Congradulations on the fish!

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks for the update Sal. Continue to take care of the homefront. We'll be here upon your return. Nice haul of fish by the way! That is certainly some good eating there!

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    My mother in law was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Thyroid cancer. Yep... the freaking big "C". Metastatic thyroid carcinoma is the medical term. Metastatic means "spreading", and surely enough it had already progressed to the lymph nodes. Carcinoma just means cancer. I dont know why they have to build a bigger fancier word for a miserable wretched thing, but there it is.

It has been nothing short of devastating for that side of the family- my father in law and wife... as aside from me, that is all there is.

They did the surgery yesterday. They removed the remainder of her thyroid, both lymph nodes, and the parathyroid gland on the left. It took longer cause the tumor had grown partly around the esophogus as well as encased the left nerve connecting the vocal cords to the brain, on top of the part that had spread as well.

The doctor came out of surgery and told us that the only way to remove the tumor for sure was the cut the nerve to the vocal cords and resplice it after the surgery. He said it may be a year or more before she could talk. Another devastating blow to a great and loving family. We rushed into the recovery room where they were bringing her around. Soon as her eyes opened, she looked up and SPOKE! (thank God!) "Where is my daughter?"

Her voice was spared. It was a bit hoarse, but I am not sure if that was the anesthesia or the damage or the fact that they had to work right around that part of the body and it was just beat up, but her voice exists now. From severed nerve to speaking in less than one hour.

It was a big relief to have that gone.

Now the plan for the next 5 weeks is straight recovery, followed by a radioactive iodine pill. I will keep you all informed, of course.

I expecty she will be released today. She had a bit of sickness from the pain management but other than that we all think she's coming through like a trooper. Im very proud of her courage and that of my wife and father in law.

As for the "in-law" part- that does not exist with me. To me she is mom- just as my mom is "mom". I dont believe in the legal definition of marriage because although I got the license to get married, I got married in faith and in mind and in spirit... not in "law". We're all very close and this was as rough on me as it would be for a blood relative. That is the way I firmly believe marriage ought to be. I dont even call her mother-in-law most ofthe time talking about her elsewhere. It confuses people into the stereotype of some lack of respect, so I dropped it shortly after marriage. Sometimes for the sake of distinction... but in my head she is who she is. If you knew her, you may even be jealous that I get to do so... She's that great of a person to everyone.

Anyhow, that is what is going on. That i why I had to cancel my big fishing trip on Houghton Lake and why I only fished mornings on my week off instead of all night and all day as I had hoped. Things happen. Life happens. Reality happens. We play the game as our cards are dealt and I am happy to report that I got to spend her prep week for surgery alongside my wife and father in law, taking care of her, taking care of the running around, taking care of her house and seeing to it that she went into surgery free of concern for her return and recovery.

Im real positive that this will all work out. We just have to wait now for the recovery, the radiation, and the cure.

Keep them lines wet for me folks. Im using all my spare time now running off to Cadillac an hour and a half away to visit. I will likely only get out for a few hours on thursday evening to fish for gills and crappie and clear my head a bit before the next canonball run to Cadillac.

Thanks for the prayers!

Sal

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    She's blessed to have you and the rest of her family, Sal.
    I'm sure you have all made a difference for her, hang in there.
    God bless you all.
    Tony

12. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    It's good to here she is coming along and doing so well. I wil keep all of you in my payers!! and the offer still stands sal if you or your family need any thing call me and i will be there! take care my friend!

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks Sal for sharing that part of your life with us in this manner. You are truly a good man in how you approach family and matters of the heart. I pray that you and your family continue to draw strength from one another, and maintain your serenity through these troublesome times.

Take care,
    Vic