Calls I take to the turkey woods.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Wabash River Bear, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here's a few of my favs that goes to the turkey woods with me.
    Lynch's #101 box call, for those windy or rainy days when I really need to get out there.
    Knight & Hale Ol Yeller slate call, cant go wrong on this one.
    McLaughlin Game Calls Raspy Red, custom glass.
    Quaker Boy mouth calls, youth model (only ones I can use without gaggin, lol)

Cant wait for 4/22/08! :wink:

Attached Files:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had a close friend whose house burned thanksgiving day, total loss. The other day i gave him several calls but i kept my ole' yeller and my cutting striker and favorite wingbone. I mostly use mouth callers so it will just be less weight i'm packin. I bought a Woodhaven Classic pro-v yesterday and really like the sound of this diaphram. They are pricey but well worth the money.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a lil Deuce by H S Strut with a carbon striker,nice small pot that fits well in a shirt pocket. Also have an assortment of 4 diaphram calls I have trimmed to fit my palet . these are made by either H S Strut or Knight and Hale .

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    the Duece is a fine caller. Also i like the #143 Knight/Hale makes. Both fine callers. Also the first bird i ever shot came to a 101 Lynch Bear mentioned.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I carry to mant calls for one well then again ya can never have to many calls I think I have that I keep in vest.
    -1 Quaker Boy box call,
    -1 lil Deuce by H S Strut with a carbon striker,
    -another lil deuce but with the brown slate surface with a wooden striker
    -1 gobbler call
    -1 hoot owl call
    -and carry 4 mouth calls but can only ckuck with any of them so I never have used them in the woods but I got um on me lol

I know there are a many of people out there that only use mouth calls ( can gobble and all with um) all I can say is my hats down to you fellers and I'm so jellous that I cant. :sad2:if I could I would shuck all my other calls. I keep trying but I just havent got it yet. ONE DAY I TELL YA :wink:

6. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    YOU ARE BUSTED!!! you didn't tell ME you bought yet another turkey caller!
    Dern your time! You best get a bird and no you cannot be using that thing in my house...GO OUTSIDE!!!:eek:oooh:

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Leroy, i used mouth callers for years. Best advise i can give is shape the call for You.If ya have to bend the frame a little to make it fit and seal, bend it. Otherwise it's useless to ya. Also, if it needs trimmed down trim it with scissors, but go slow. ya can't put it back if ya take off too much.Also, each nite wash them out. I store my callers in a plastic snuff can with a piece of sponge soaked in diluted mouthwash, and store em in the fridge. Last tip, when ya get to where you can make a sound, start droppin your jaw when ya call, watch a hen, she don't call with her mouth shut. Once ya learn, you'll love a diaphram.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Well i was gettin round to tellin ya bout it sheeesh:confused2: Also, just for the record i'll call in the house ANY dern time i feel like it!!! I just never feel like callin when your at home is all.:crazy:

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Woah, calm down there a tad Mamma Fisher. It aint Johns fault. Its a weakness, generally affecting men in the spring, but has been know to strike women too. Its caused by a defective gene and is called "Igottaturkeyhuntitus". The only known cure involves hangin out in the woods, cacklin, purrin, kee keein, puttin, and yelpin like a hen in heat. Its a delicate condition and may involve the need of a few minor accesories to complete the cycle. This is a small price to pay as is any medicine on route to a cure. Never fear, he will be fine in about a month. :wink:

10. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I know what ya mean by havin to much stuff to carry. I just posted what I absolutely have to carry, except I forgot my crow call. Thank god theres only so many pockets in my turkey vest! :smile2:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I owe ya big time buddie.

12. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    CALM DOWN!!! okay okay I'll try to bear with it and give my wonderful the husband the support and understanding he deserves. and I appreciate knowing this is a disease...I wondered why it only lasts about a month out the year! :roll_eyes:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    When you watch ole tommie boi come waltzin in full strutt next week, and YOU don't understand, i'll quit and go back to playin golf. Wait, ya never understood that either:eek:oooh:

14. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I always wanted to live next to a country club or golf course. Makes for good skeet shootin! :crazy: All those fancy pants golfers goin by wonderin what these rednecks are doin out by the fairway with lawn chairs, coolers of beer, and shotguns. FORE!!! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! :smile2:

15. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    That a girl, gotta go with the flow. What goes around, comes around. I'm sure John will remember the turn around when J.C. Penny throws them pretty spring dresses on sale. :wink:

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    them are some good looking calls