calling

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by brian sax, Sep 13, 2005.

1. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    what do you guys do when you are trying to call a gobbler that is with hens or is hung up. i have heard many ideas and i wanted to see what you guys do.

2. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Gobblers with hens are fun to deal with. Most of the time I like to get nasty with 'em and give 'er all I got, cutting and yelping, varying my tones and rhythmns to try and intimidate one of the hens. Aggressive calling can sometimes change the mood of the hens. Of course it can also send a jealous hen away with your gobbler as well. That's when you have to resort to challenging the gobbler by doing some spitting and drumming or gobbling to try and fire him up. Fighting purrs can also help in this situation. Each bird is different and only experience in the field with the birds can help you determine how to work each bird. Pay particular attention to the birds body language and let them dictate how to call to them. God bless.

3. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    thanks asasin, when it comes to turkey hunting you are one smart dude. i got just as much info in that couple of sentences than in all the magazines i have read, thanks

4. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Anytime. Been chasing them hard and heavy for 24 years now. I travel all over the country shooting video of them and learning everything I can about the wild turkey. This year was my best spring ever, I hunted I believe 66 days and I watched 77 longbeards die. Personally I shot 6 gobblers(2 in Missouri and 4 in Texas)and guided the rest of the time. It's not hard to learn the habits of wild turkeys when you are spoiled like we are here in Missouri. They literally are everywhere. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask. When it comes to callin' and killin' turkeys I've hunted with the best of the best out there and have developed techniques that work for me. Killing turkeys is easy. Killing turkeys on video is the ultimate challenge, especially fall gobblers. Confidence is a hunters best asset when entering the woods. Knowing that you'll kill a bird each and every time you hit the woods will make you a MUCH better hunter. Learn the land you hunt inside and out and try to use the terrain to your advantage so as to not spook birds. Study the birds. The fall season is the VERY best time to listen to flock talk of turkeys and learn how they vocalize/socialize with one another. Study their postures/body language and you'll become a MUCH better caller. God bless.