Calling Fox River Flatheaders!!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Polish Moose, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thursday February 7th a few of us Fox River flathead fisherman are getting together at St. Charles Place restaurant to discuss the possibility of forming an organization whose goal is to help promote the conservation of flatheads on the Fox River and beyond. We will be meeting at 8:00 PM. Hopefully we can get some interest and have regular meetings.

Worst case scenario we can exchange contact information and help each other learn the intricate details of fishing for flats on the Fox, but maybe we can be a part of something bigger. I have already started talks with the IDNR to see what can be done, and perhaps a few volunteer opportunities may exist. It will not happen overnight, but maybe we can start something up and utilize our voices to get something accomplished.

You can PM me for more information. Hope to see you there.

Marty

2. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    im not familier with the fox. where does it run and dump into? we have been on the rock several times though.

3. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Fox River is a small to medium sized river that runs through northeastern Illinois and dumps into the Illinois River. It's about an hour, hour and a half west of Chicago.

4. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    While the date and time does not work for my schedule, I would like to be kept in the loop.

I fish the Fox from Plano south to the Serena/Sheridan area.

5. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Let me know what is a better time for you and maybe next time we can try to accomodate. This is just a time that works well for me. I have had a similar concern from someone else as well.

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`ll definitely be there Marty... It would be nice to see some familiar faces and hopefully some new ones. I know people talk alot about trying to protect these fish but thats about how far it goes. Talking can only go so far, we need to actually go out and do something to make a difference.

7. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    Just imagine the possabilities if there regs in place for these fish!!!

8. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hopefully at some point we will be able to realize those possibilities!!! I know we are getting closer.

9. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the invite, right now my schedule is kinda nuts so I can't commit to any specific time. I certainly do want to help and have already had some conversations w/ the DNR and streams office regarding preservation of species along the Fox.

I fish for the table and relish the beauty that is the Lower Fox River. It's amazing to think that in Northern IL there are still areas where you can go and not see another person for 5 - 6 hours. Nothing but nature in all her glory.

On the flipside, there is a 'individual' in my area who targets large channels and flats, then TAKES them.:angry: I saw him come out once w/ 4 flats and 2 channels ALL over 28".
    If I was a hunting person, he'd look like really nice prey to me.:hell_boy:

Now I ask you, what the heck does 1 person need w/ conservatively 50 pounds of catfish meat?
    I know of another person on the Rock that routinely pulls 30 table size cats A DAY from the river. Again, what the heck does 1 person need w/ 20-30 pounds of catfish PER DAY?

10. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gebs04 let me know how those talks with the IDNR went. I too have had talks with the IDNR and I know others have as well. That I think is part of the problem, we need a united voice that will be in contact more consistantly with the IDNR. Its easy to forget random contacts from random individuals, however if you have an ongoing relationship with a group it is easier to have effective communications.

11. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just a reminder, this Thursday night is the first meeting!

12. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I drive by the Fox as I go over the bridge on Orchard heading towards rt.71 daily and the river looks better every day as it gets warmer. Has anyone ever tried fishing that location? Looks like a great area.

13. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have canoed that area in the past, it is pretty shallow like most of the lower Fox. If you look at it during the summer you'll see plenty of ripple from the predominantly rock bottom.

14. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Is there any good spots to fish west of there besides Yorkville by the dam that you experienced?

15. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Downstream of Yorkville is a great area to fish. Species include Muskie, Small Mouth Bass, Cat, Croppie, Walleye, HUGE carp, Sheephead, etc.

The river is VERY shallow and should only be traveled via canoe or boats w/ 25hp or under motors as the average river depth is 2-4' w/ shallow bars to 6".

16. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Sounds awesome Gebs,,
    Ill have to take a ride one of these days and check it out. My son-in-law was talking about doing some fishing along the banks to try it out. Well just head west of yorkville and see what we find. I can't wait to get alittle warmer weather for this. Having fishing withdrawls this year and way over due. Thank you for the input..