Calling Flathead Catfish (The Clonk)

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by TeamPunishment, Dec 11, 2005.

1. TeamPunishment

TeamPunishment New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry if this has been perviously discussed, i havent been on in a while... Alright i seen this (THE CLONK) thing in the holiday flyer for Catfish Connection, whats up with this thing??? Is it legit??? Seems like a bunch of bull to me...

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Kyle,
    They're real and they work......at least in Europe. Haven't heard of much luck with them here although I think a few of our members tried them out.

3. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    I've tried it on the James River and the Missouri River in South Dakota, the Des Moines River in Iowa, and the Missouri River in Nebraska. My brother in Wisconsin used it in the Mississippi River and has had tremendous post-spawn success with it. You can buy it from CatfishConnnection.com in either wood or metal. I and my brother prefer metal. Seems to produce the kind of 'shwooomp' sound you want to call in the big flatheads at night, or during the day. I perfer using it at night, while my brother uses it during the day. The main thing about this tool is that you must have flatheads in the system you are fishing and there has to be flowing water to help carry the sound. This is strictly from my experience only, but it works for me and should work for anyone that wishes to use it as a tool to put more flatheads on shore or in the boat.

This is an objective view from my own experiences and the experiences of my brother. You don't "have to" buy it, nor am I promoting it for any gain for myself, just stating my opinion from experiences.

Later,

James.

4. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Do you think it will work from a dock? I've seen an article written in a NAFC fishing mag and it looked like it really produced, but the guy was in a boat.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I bet it chase them Bass fisherman, that come to close to us bank fisherman!
    lol

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Agreed, but also in that article they mentioned that there is no real way to determine whether or not the fish caught would have bitten or not without using the clonk, unless it gets tested in a controlled enviroment, where the catfish can be given test variables that could cause them to be less apt to feed, and then using a clonk, had the fish come into a feeding mode against a negative variable.

In an uncontrolled test, there is no real way to determine whether the fish you caught that day would have been feeding anyway. OR, if you fish without a clonk in use, and don't catch anything, maybe they wouldn't feed anyway, or maybe the fish just aren't there! Like stated in the article, there are just too many uncontrolled variable in a wild test to come to a precise finding.

I would love for some to set up a way to test this in a controlled eviroment. OR to use one of those "fish cams" to film and catch the reactions of the fish in situations where the fish "shouldn't" be in feeding responsive mood. Definatley something that I'd like to see discussed and tested more thoroughly... :D

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL, now there you go, thats a good idea.... :0a24: :happy: :0a10: :0a1:

I've heard of those things, read about it in a magazine, supposely they work well but I've never personally tried one, nor do I know anyone that uses one.

Take it easy, Zakk :)

8. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

There is a video that you can get from CC that was shot on the Rock River in Illinois, and it shows a guy using one of those. Jeremy(Cats4uandme) bought it, and discussed it in another thread. It works in the video. I guess you can try it for yourself, and report back to us.

Ray

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Were it would work, I'm just one of those "Geeks" that need proof all the time!!! If I weren't so busy fishing and working I might put together the set up to test it in an everyday setting, along with a controlled envirorment too...just don't have the funds or time right now...I guess that's why it's called life eh? lol

10. TeamPunishment

TeamPunishment New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah i need solid proof, but i definetly don't see me ever using one

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    On certain river and lake systems it may work. But on a river that has barge traffic, I really doubt it. There is plenty of noise on our rivers around here and I don't see the fish responding to a clonk!! I have one and have tried it so far to no avail. Maybe it will work one of these days. I prefer to find the fish and present my bait.

12. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I dont leave the house without one, the cats are inquisitive and the noise from the clonk whether you use it from boat bank or dock will see a response from fish in your area.

They are used to great sucess in deep water from a boat, with the sounder on you can see the cats on the bottom of the lake, when you start clonking you see the cats come up off the bottom with the sounder, you then switch the sounder off and lower your bunch of worms and meet the fish midwater as it rises up to investigate whats going on.

The sound of the clonk is supposed to imitate the sound of feeding fish, like a popping sound on the surface from cats taking in air and swallowing prey.

The clonk is a valuable piece of tackle for me and can be relied upon as a last resort to nick a take or two at the end of the day.

Im far from a clonk expert but is something that takes about half a day to master, you need to make the deepest darkest plonk when it enters the water.

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Stephen, that's good information. I know the clonk is used a lot in Europe. What kinds of catfish do you have besides the wels, if any, and does the clonk work on all species? Is yours made of wood, or metal. The metal version seems to be relatively new around here.

14. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For a (possibly oversimplified) test, one could use it in a small lake such as a large farm pond right after a hard cold front. If it'll turn fish on after a hard cold front I'll buy one.

15. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I have only used wooden ones, both the metal and wooden should be the same shape and make the same sort of sound.

The clonk emits a frequency that attracts the cat, as we know it is a predator but am unsure as to it attracting other predators like zander, pike, perch or other species of cat. May be its just a wels thing as if it mimicks other wels feeding all other species may steer clear of the area as they may end up as dinner.

In 2006 I shall be having a good play with some new types of clonk and will keep you all posted

Unfortunatley the wels have eaten most things and are the only cats we have on a whole, we do have some channel cats but they are not as big as the wels,

I will post a pic of the French record of 110kg to the gallery! In England because the land mass is colder as is the climate the cats are starting to near 100lb, Spanish Italian and some Eastern European cats keep on growing, I think in a few more years a real whopper will come to rod and line, prehaps twice the size as previously caught.

16. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    The cold slows there metabolism but not to a stand still, you can annoy them into taking your bait.

With regard to your cold farm pond try the clonk in an area that you have never tempted the cats from to really demonstrate its effectiveness.

The clonk is a way of attracting fish, your rig and bait presentation determin your real sucess, once you have that deep sound off to a tee, watch the water and spot fish moving ito your area.

I would have one rod already set in the water fishing and another on standby to cast at moving fish.

The clonk will bring fish up from the bottom, so I tend to fish quite shallow but its relative to the depth of water your fishing in.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i dont see why it wouldnt work i geuss, i mean bass respond to popping things like top water baits,crappie will go for those poping corks and so will a ton of other fish, maybe this thing could work i will have to get one and check it out,could be the sercret weapon ...lol

18. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I bought one off of Ebay going to try it out this year will let you all know how it works. Guess if it don't work for me i'm only out 30 buxs.. spent more on worse things b4

19. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have one of those, along with the video. I also talked quite a bit with the guide in the video about the clonking thing...

It's really hard to prove or disprove the effectiveness of something like that... if you're on a good spot clonk and get a fish, how do you know you wouldn't have caught him anyway. Or, you clonk and don't get a fish. Then you can just say "no feeding fish there."

I don't think noise scares fish. At least not always. A lot of guys make all kinds of noise in the boat, and still catch fish. I've tossed baits making a loud splash and had them immediately hammered; the noise certainly didn't scare the fish. We talked about ideas like starting the motor a minute, or fishing multiple baits in one area as things that seem to generate activity...of course if you're fishing 4 baits at a time you probably do increase the odds of one getting hit, but all that vibration in the water can't hurt. Think about buzz baits and bass... and flaheads do use that lateral line to detect vibration.

I do like the idea of making some noise to "wake up" the fish, but I don't really think you can prove the effectiveness without scientific study.

As far as my clonk, I only used it a couple times and once I did get blasted by a channel cat. But, so what. I can't attribute that to the clonk. I don't have enough experience with it. For now, it's just something in the boat to try when things get slow.

I also think you could try experimenting with large wooden kitchen spoons or old golf putters to make a pretty similar sound... "fa-loop" with a vibration in the water.

As far as the video, there's two big flatheads caught by angler Victoria Sweet and the fights aren't too heavily edited. You watch one of the fish move one side of the boat, to the other, and back again, and to the other again etc and finally get landed after a long fight. It seems like about 25 minutes.... there's some banter at the beginning of the video about the clonk, but the fish fights were the best parts.

Shawn

20. catfishhunter73flat73blue

catfishhunter73flat73blue New Member

State:
    south dak
    Hello all,
    I am from Brookings, SD and I have seen only one person use this gadet on the James River in Huron and had no success, but it had inspired me to do some modification's of my own, lol and it works.
    Well somewhat, beings how I managed to get my cellphone wet once or twice a year ( time 4 a new 1 lol ) I took out the vib-motor and placed it into the top end of my pole and ran a fine wire too the butt of the handle with a toggle switch./ battery pack 1 9volt batt works best last longer.
    After I put out my fav. bait and flipped the switch and waited 7-8 mins I had a hit that was untrue (MY 1ST FLAT)
    Well I will say this seeing this old man use the clonk was not my only reason for my maddness, I also seen a ice fishing pole later that same year that had almost the same idea .. should have patent it back in the day. Got the main idea from my father in 83-84 but I was thinking he was crazy too at the time, and I was only 10/11 years old and lived in
    (Don't Blink or you will miss it State of South Dak)
    well now I'm just chatting again