Calling - doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by CatfishHateMe, Apr 29, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    This morning i went out and started calling to see if i would get any response, after about 10 seconds a tom yelled back and i hurried up and set my decoys up and got a good tree and started calling, at first loud and hard, then slower and then nothing, then harder and repeated that, he was gettin closer and i could hear him talking back, but then he hung up right out of range and wouldnt talk back. after an hour and a half of just sitting there doing some soft purrs and yelps tryin to convince him to come in with nothing i got up and went to move to the spot i saw 2 jakes at yesterday. i set up and started calling loud and didnt let up for about 10 minutes. then i started goin soft calling and then silence. nothing, after 2 and a half hours i got up and went to the edge of the woods to were i could quietly look around and then i saw a tom about 60 yards away, i started calling and he never called back, just went into strut and kindda paced back and forth at 60-70 yards. i know he didnt see me cuz i was still when he came around the corner of the thicket i was across from. this is 3 times in 2 days that birds have hung up at about 60-75 yards and went silent after gobbling back like crazy all morning. am i doing something wrong? do i need to change the way i call as i hear them getting closer? any tips would be appriciated. thanks.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Frien of mine who guides had the same thing happen last weekend to him , he thinks the birds are goin out of strutting season

3. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like he may be "henned" up pretty bad. You may want to think of an ambush strategy or get on him right off of the roost.

4. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    Toms hanging up happens to everyone. That is just part of it. I think you are moving to much, giving up when they move off. This has worked for me several times. Just stay put, and call soft every now and then. That tom may move off to be w/ his regular hens for a while, but he will come back once they are done w/him. Sometimes he just testing you. The way it's suppose to happen is he lets the hens know where he is at and the hens go to him. After he figures out thats no happening he will come to you. Turking hunting in those vidoes only shows you the highlights. It don't show you all the waiting those guys do. Just have confidence in your setup and wait it out. This worked for me this weekend. Hope this helps. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I took that same advice of staying put today. Before, it wasn't like i was sitting down calling for 15 min. and leaving or anything... I had two spots I knew were good ones and I'd stay at one for about an hour to an hour and a a half, then make my way to the next one. Then stay there or maybe go back to the first one. Well kinda sounds like what you are doing too... and I got the same advise, stay put. I put that advice to practice today and it seemed to work. Could have shot two jakes, and I had two other tom's come in, but they got hung up on a fence. I did move once, but it was only about 30 yards so I could get into some ceders and sit in the shade (it was in the high 80's today). I was in this one place from about 5am-noon... and it worked, didn't kill one but I could have. I don't think I should be giving advice seeing that I'm new to this just like you... but I can say, listen to these veteran's advice cause they've helped me. Anyway, goodluck hope you get one and I hope you have a blast just bein out there.

6. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Being a better turkey hunter than catman , I feel you are nearly eating turkey. Big old longbeards strut when they detect a certain volume from their new lover. They hear her close and loud then strut to show her how good looking they are, and bad too! At 100yds, cluck purr, and scratch leaves ; make him actually LISTEN for YOU ! If he has TROUBLE positioning you , his feet will bring him into trouble for sure. Old toms will position you on the first loud series of calls, then work to you in their own sweet time. Try also laying the loud heat on him as you approach your tree or selected ambush site. Say 100 and then again 50 yards before you park it. He will gobble so you know he is there , but he will hear you've moved suggesting a live hen. Then park it and do the soft stuff. The longer you hunt these woods-wolves the more you actually enjoy getting beat up by them. Once after 9 tries on a mean old bird , an old hunter was good enough to remind me that the wild turkey has a brain only as big as a walnut. Very Humbling indeed. Good luck!

7. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    The only time I move is when I hear a gobble, I know where he is at, and I know I can move w/out him seeing me.

Wiscars; Thanks for reminding me how big there brain is. I'm having really good luck this year, but last year I got out smarted several times by a tom. Three weeks going after him and he was still gobling after season.

8. ZNCram1

ZNCram1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Best thing to do when a gobbler is coming toward you stop calling when he acts like he is going to go away call again and get softer has he nears volume is key when calling with the advanced calls made today it is hard to sound bad while calling. Just remember rythm and volume

9. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    I would call softly and not often, just like Ben Rogers Lee. If a man can hear you calling over 30 yds away your WAY to loud.

10. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    try switching your call. for example if your usin a box switch to a push button or a mouth call. what i did was i scratched the ground with my fingers to make it sound like a hen scratching for food. i did that and the tom came about 100 yards in 5 minutes

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I would try to figure out which way he is going to head off towards and then circle him and let him come to you on his own. My dad killed this one old bird he has been after all season the other day by having to circle him three times and get in his way.

I've had this one bird do this same kind of stuff to me a few times this year. Tomorrow morning he is going to meet his maker though because I've got his pattern figured out and I'm just going to go sit and wait for him and not do any calling.

Everytime I have called to this bird, he just stands in this one little ditch and gobbles for about 20 minutes and then shuts up and moves on. I'm guessing he is an old devil by the way he is acting.

I think a lot of people over call when they turkey hunt. My dad always figured that if you called just enough to keep the tom interested and the shutup, he will come in looking for you wondering why you aren't saying much or coming to him. It seems to work because he calls in a lot of birds that other people have tried and tried to bring them in.