Calling deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Sep 24, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    On calling deer either by rattling, doe bleat or grunt tube. What is the time of year this is most effective and how often should it be accomplished? For example rattling 30 sec period over a 2 minute time then wait 30 minutes and move.... Grunt tube or doe bleat 1 time every 30 min. And when is each effective, Prerut, Rut, Post Rut.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    ive been huntin' all of my life, and it will prolly be 2 more lifetimes b4 i actually call a deer in. i have managed to make them stop long enough to get a shot off, but other than that zilch with the callin'. i am really interested in learning what answers you get from this thread bp.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    the only time I called in a deer was a doe with "the can". I was running late to my spot which was a funnel of thick brush leading into security cover in a public park. I came around the corner and they were filing out of the funnel. they all ran back in. so I quick set up and set of the can twice and one doe came out looking thinking it was another doe trying to regroup. well, being so high strung, she ducked my arrow and that was the last I saw of her.

4. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama

Don't feel like the long rancher I have tried and have not had any sucess either

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive called them in and had them run away. I do most of my hunting in the rut and have had spikes run right to the tree I was in or right past it. Ive had does venture out of the woods to glance around a field then go right back in the woods. My calls are usually the grunts though the bleats have called in some small bucks. I havent had any luck rattling though. Usually I resort to calls when Im bored, to stop the deer or bring it in range. Ive got friends that swear by the can for bucks but I havent had any luck with it. I think Im better off not using a call most of the time.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never actually called them in, but when hunting the edges of the pastures long about dark, and the deer moved back into the woods, I've called them out in the open with a dying rabbit predator call.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I get more deer come out of the woods calling the hogs or cows than I do with a set of antlers, cans or dog whistle.

8. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Ive called in a train load of deer and Have also ran off a train load..I never do much calling with out actually seeing them first, just to see the reaction, early in the season a fawn in distress works pretty good, deer do get educated, the first year I used them back in 1986 you could blow one and the deer would run at you full steam ahead.. later in the season it doesn't work very good at all, Ive called them in with the can you turn upside down and have rattled in a few bucks, Probably had the least luck with the grunt tube as anything..good luck!

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i usually only call after ive seen the deer,and i use a grunt to change his direction,they dont always respond but sometimes they immediately head my direction.prerut is definetely the best time to call around here end of oct ,1st week nov.buck to doe ratios determines responses to calls,a buck in an area full of does doesnt have a big reason to respond he has what he needs all around him.a buck in an area with few does has to respond or he looses his chance, and may respond very agressively.alot of deer when called circle down wind,thats why i usually wait until ive seen them.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I call a deer every time I miss a shot. I really can't repeat what I call them!

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i wonder how much the area you are in matters?

postbeelte: do you call your cows and hogs with a feed bucket? corn makes a very distinct sound to animals scol.

12. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Pressured deer do not respond to calls very well. What you see on tv is to sell calls....calls will work and I have had success with them BUT it was on a large tract of private land with very little hunting pressure.

13. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have used about any call on the market today and have had luck at times with all of them. My favorite routine would be during the pre rut and rut, break out a good grunt tube or a snort wheeze and hit it a couple times. give it a minute or two and hit the can (doe in estrous bleat) then in a minute hit the horns for a solid minute and then if nothing shows give it fifteen minutes or so and hit the can a few more times. I have had deer show up during all periods of the calling sequence. I have used the horns early in the season to call up small bucks. I have used a snort call to call in deer that I have spooked earlier in the day. The biggest deal with calling deer is having confidence in what your doing. Personally I do not go in the woods without a grunt tube and a set of horns. Just start calling softly at first then get more aggessive as the rut gets closer. Good luck.

14. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I tried to rattle a nice buck in last year @ 200 yds. It was around the beginning of the rut. He heard the rattle bag and high tailed out of there. My neighbor grunted a buck in last year. He said that he worked that grunt hard and loud. He got a 7yd shot on a huge basket rack buck while standing on the ground. MADD calls has put out a new call called a buck growl. It's supposed to be the newest deer call technology in 20 years. Supposedly, if a buck blows at you you can use a snort wheeze call to challenge them. If you are in prerut and the yearlings haven't been kicked aside a fawn bleat will work. If you work it loud and hard like a predator call the deer will sometimes come running in, mostly doe but sometimes a buck, looking for a wounded or scared fawn. If you work it soft they will also come in looking for a stranded fawn.

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I in my OWN MIND AND MY OWN MIND ONLY !!!!!! Believe calls are hokus-pokus!!! We just had a real debate on camo on another thread so now we are all camoed up and we are going to start beating antlers together to give every critter in the forest our exact location? And for every love sick basket rack that is thinking with wrong head there are 99 big bucks that come in looking long before you see them. What are they looking for? The combatants, and the love sick doe who is being mounted by his arch rival!! They dont see this they high tail it out and you never see them!! The reason the call companys, camo companys, scent company's and etc. make a killing off hunters is most enter the hunting store and their eyes glaze over and in their mind they see themselves on every front page of every hunting magazine in America.

16. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i tried my grunt call in a bar one night,some dude ran up and punched me right in the nose,so i know they work!

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    jeff that is fun knee! its a good thing you didnt rattle some antlers he might have cut you. lol.

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I’ve had some success rattling in bucks. One thing you have to get past is how stupid you feel out there making a bunch of noise when you’ve been taught all your life to be still and keep quiet. I’ve had the best results 3 weeks before the peak of the rut. This usually falls during our muzzle loader season for this area. I’ve had limited success during the peak rut and better success 3 weeks after the peak rut. I usually wait until after I have been on a stand 2 or 3 hours after day light before I try rattling. I still think being still, quiet and as scent free as possible while sitting on a good travel route between feeding and bedding areas will produce more kills than rattling. I like to start out rattling softly for 1 minute and no more than 2 minutes. Be prepared to shoot at anytime, I’ve seen them come in fast and slow and most times sneaking in from down wind. Wait 5 minutes and if nothing has shown start rattling again but louder wile making more noise like hitting the ground with the antlers and raking bushes. Continue for 2 to 3 minutes. If nothing has shown this is when that stupid feeling starts to creep in:smile2:. But don’t give up, move at least ½ mile and try it again. I usually use real deer horns, I have a rattle bag and have yet to call anything to it. My cousin has called in two bucks with his rattle bag so they work, just haven’t worked for me yet. Your buck to doe ratio and hunting pressure will also play a big roll on whether rattling will work in your area or not.

As far as callers, I don’t leave the house without my grunt call. That call has cost a lot of bucks their life. The most common mistake people make with a grunt call is to call to loud and to often. The sound of a grunt call will not travel very far so unless you can already see or here a deer you are probably wasting your time to even hit it. If I’m stand hunting I can usually get a buck to change direction and come in to check out where the source of the grunt came from. Once you have him coming your way do not call anymore or he will pinpoint you and be gone. Also if I’m still hunting and jump a deer about 50% of the time I can get that deer to stop or even come back by first exhaling air to imitate a deer snort :eek:oooh:then using the grunt call to get him coaxed into coming back. I’ve tried the can for the last couple of years and so far I have just called in one deer and two coyotes with it. The deer was to small but the coyotes paid the price:smile2:.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have called in more than a few mule deer while coyote hunting with a screaming jackrabbit call, but i would never try it during deer season. the deer where i hunt are pretty high strung.

20. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I have one of those puddy in the can things. I use it to find out how close the other "sorry pilgrims, molesting my hunt" are. If ya get snorted, rattled, bleated, and poor baby'd ....ya can just get the thermos out an have a cup.