calling coyotes?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by stinkbaitman, Jan 2, 2008.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    anyone ever call coyotes or at least try. ive been watchin randy anderson alot and im gonna go try it tonight

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Havent called in years,But it works if you can learn to do it right and be patient. One of the biggest mistakes novice callers make is skylighting themselves,never walk upright into the area you intend to call the human form can be recognisable from a great distance. also do not move after you are set ,just a movement of your arm or leg can scare away an animal cause if it sees you it already knows you aint a big rabbit. Most coyotes hang up at distances over 200 yards because you got busted if they figure out you are a human they'll split quick.When I call bobcats I try to stay at each stand at least 45 minets.Good luck and hope ya get a bunch.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey load hows about some pics of bobcats? We dont see to many round here but they are here

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll look back in my albums an see if I can find any old pics ,Kenney. I used to have a beautiful 42" rug from one I caught but thieves relinquished me of it.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That sure stinks,Iowa has been reintroducing them but it is a slow process.once in awhile you will find tracks but rarely see them

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Darn right we call coyotes around here. Fun fun fun fun fun stuff. Wood18 and I call up a few coyotes and cats each year. It's one of my favorite things to do.

The most important thing about calling is your setup. Period. Once you learn how to enter a good area and setup correctly, you'll start killing more coyotes. You want an elevated position of possible, and you want to be able to see your downwind side, 'cause more often than not, they're gonna try to get your wind. It's best to call in pairs, and if you do.... one of you carry a rifle, and the other a shotgun. The scattergun will kill at least half the coyotes that get called up, and you won't believe how many times you're gonna need it. Way too many times, we called in coyotes that got too close, too quick. If we'd carried a shotgun with us in the beginning, those quick close ones would've been dead too. A rifle just won't always work as well.

On the Randy Anderson tapes, you see how he will "woof" at the coyotes to stop 'em? Do it. It works every single time, and you don't have to take a running shot. Learn how to ki-yi with a handheld yowler. If you shoot at a pair & miss, you can call them back with a kiyi call many times.

Also, shoot a semi-auto rifle if possible, the quick follow up shots will come in handy. I used a mini-14 for a couple of years for my calling rifle, until I got stupid and sold it. Sure wish I had it back now.

Camo head to toe, and sit still. Coyotes are smart, and they'll pick out any movement. Use shooting sticks, not bipods. The shooting sticks are more versatile and will allow you to move more readily while you're tracking a moving yote with your gun. Shooting sticks are easy to make with a broom handle cut in two, you can camo it easily & put a bolt about 4" from the tops of the sticks, then drive 16 penny nails in the bottoms of hte sticks and grind them to points.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if you have any more questions, pm me and I'll try to help ya all I can.

Attached Files:

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    They've started moving into my mom in laws land. Her neighbor shot one while deer hunting. Now my brother in laws starting up & invited me to go to. I cant wait to get r done on a yote! Prior to this we were wondering why the deer #'s werent as they were normally at the food plots we have there.

8. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    callin coyotes and bobcats and foxes haha i could go on to more but its an amazing thing its loads of fun but takes alot ALOT of practice to get real good i kill most myn anymore with a bow or shotgun and hardly shoot more than 15yds at coyotes you can defently have some fun

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We call them here in Kentucky too. I use the rabbit in distress call by Knight& Hale game calls. I have called up coyotes and 1 Bobcat. I have called up just as many in the spring during turkey season while using a hen yelper call. The coyotes and Bobcats seem to be drawn to the yelp of a hen.:cool2:

10. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya my buddy and i call them sometimes.. some of the brothers on here might remember baker, he stopped gettin on here but he and i used to be coyote callin fanatics. i never had any luck but he usually gets one when i DONT go haha

11. zach93

zach93 New Member

State:
    california
    I call coyotes all the time out here in california last two years on one of the ranches we hunt we have taken out 40+ coyotes.
    good luck on the coyotes.
    Zach

12. FLETCH

FLETCH Member

State:
    Villisca Iowa
    Name:
    Ron
    don't worry I live down here in southwest Iowa and they are all over I'm sure the will be movin that way soon and if you need any wild turkeys plenty of them to.

13. FLETCH

FLETCH Member

State:
    Villisca Iowa
    Name:
    Ron
    like john catfish young said a rabbit distress call is a number 1 for callin for the weapon of choice I use a remington model 788 bolt action 22-250 a real coyote killer '