Calling Bobcats in steep hill country

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by bowfoot, Jan 4, 2008.

1. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    First of all I'd like to tell y'all that I have shot many a grey fox by calling them in Ohio...but I've never called in a bobcat...know nothing...let me repete...I know nothing about calling Bobcats...we are getting some big cats here in Tennessee...I believe that the size growth is due to the explosion of turkeys around here...What do y'all suggest...I got a caller...next what tape do you recomend?...whats the best calling times...gotta be daylight here..no night hunting with lights and caller...period...If they pull you over while you are going to the movies or something like that and they see calling equipment in your truck and its where you can get to it...not locked in the trunk or a box in the bed...they take truck or car and everything in it...no slack at all...so daylight calling only...thanks bowfoot

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would use the same tecniques that you use for fox,early morning and late afternoon. Try to stay on the stand for at least 45 min. as cats come in slow ,and are hard to spot. Some seem to materialize right in front of you. for sounds,try cottontail ,and bird in distress calls,Hope this is helpfull,

3. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got rough gravely cottontail and cotton tail distress....Got a 22-250 is that too big if so I got a 17 cal...which one would you recomend both are flat shooting...want to mount the cats....got 22 mag also?

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a 223 for all my varmint hunting ,the 22-250 would be great for shots over 200 yds, but the delima is that cats often come very close before you see them,I have shot several under 30 ft. If I were intent on mounting one I would take a partner along and have them tote a shotgun with 3" loads of copper plated BB lead shot ,and stick to the 17 or 22 mag for the longer shots[out to 150 yds]Its also a good Idea to have a partner while calling cats as some will jump on you if they are in an agressive hunting mode.

5. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    LOOKING for a partner here!!...anyone?...I need a partner here!!....Jump on you???Are you kidding me....Holy Crap!...I think that I'm gonna stick to putting steel on their toes ....you are jerking my chain aren't you?....Grey fox have ran under the truck I was calling in...are you telling me that they'll get in the truck with you....we always call from pasture land from the bed of a truck....I ain't getting on the ground and call....bowfoot has changed his mind...thanks anyway...bowfoot

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm serious as a heart attack,I have never had one jump me ,but it was close ,A buddy and I were calling in the sandhills and the setup was three lone hackberry trees ,after calling for 30 min. or so a mickingbird started raising hell in the tree to our left ,about 10 ft away ,we turned and there was a large male sitting in the tree which my friend blasted from the hip with his 243. taught both of us how they operate.

7. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've changed my thinking...anyone know anything about running them with dogs...do they hold well when treed....wonder what kind of a breed of dogs would a man get ahold of...there are so many coons here that you'd spend all your time with the dog treeing coons....if it was inclined to tree coons...where does a strictly "cat" treeing dog come from and is there a special breed...we used to tree house cats in an area near Dayton, Ohio with all sorts of dogs...some coon dog pups and some were mutts....as long as they would trail and bark tree we'd us them...bowfoot

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm just pikkin a bit now Jimmy ......Brrrrraaaaccck,bbbrrraaaaacccckkk,cluck

9. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ain't it the truth.....ain't it the truth.....bowfoot does not have a likin' to clawed critters with fangs and himself rollin' around in the dirt, all tangled up...with me and it screamin' and squallin' so loud we'd wake the dead...O.K. It'd mostly be me screamin' and squallin'....makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, just thinkin' about it....I gotta go take me some Tennessee nerve medicine....Ma where's my jug ?...bowfoot

10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Growin up in Alabama I use to coon hunt a lot. Our dos treed bobcats several times but I never saw one hold a tree till we got there. We would usually hear them scream as soon as they saw our lights and jump out. Sounds like a horse hitting the ground. Dogs cornered one under a rock bluff one night. We lost 2 of 5 dogs before they killed him. Lots of cats here in east tennessee but they are seldom seen just see tracks.

11. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Maybe bowfoot needs to chuck this whole idea and stick to cats with flat heads that swimn around bluffs .....limb lines and cats sounds a lot safer than cat on top ....then me on top...then cat on top ....while rolling downhill...screaming like a little school girl all the way to whenever the cat decided to let me go....can they be called from tree stands? 40 or 50 feet off the ground tree stands...electronic caller on the ground and did I mention me way up a tree...Just trying to figure this thing out to where I don't have to shake hands with a bobcat to harvest this same bobcat...I'd rather do like A.T.&T. does it...their ad says "REACH out a touch someone" and they are talking about long distance touching and connecting with someone...LONG range connecting...not hand to claw touching....now close your eyes and form a mental picture of a guy who looks alot like Santa claws... running from the woods...with a bobcat on his back....screaming like a little school girl...waving his arms and begging for someone to shoot him or it... one or the other...at that point it didn't make any difference....What is the proper way of dis-engaging a wound-up, hiped up, lookin' for a dinner, spotted cat...that has mistaken me for that dinner...and has latched itself on my back....This is a pertinent question for one to ask before this actually happens...is there a dis-engagement switch ......If not?.... Does screamung help the situation or add to the situation???? There I went and did it again...got myself all worked up...hair on my neck stickin' straight up...Maw...get me a fresh jug of that Tennessee nerve medicine...I'll be in the closet...hiding...bowfoot

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i would use the .22 mag if you're going to mount them. most cats i have shot were with the 12 gauge, #4 shot in a 2 3/4 inch shell. when you call them definitely stay longer on stand than you would for a coyote or fox, it can take them a bit to get to you. i have had them come up close behind me, and have heard plenty of stories about folks getting jumped on. not likely, but possible.

13. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Advertisement:I need a very strong bobcat hunting partner ...with a strong back and a weak mind...needed to carry very sturdy stainless steel cage out into the woods...cage needs to be at least big enough to get me inside it...if I can't find a strong backed , weaked minded bobcat hunting partner...I need a slow running bobcat hunting partner...I'm old and over weight so one needs not to apply for the position if you out run your granddad who is on a walker.....that way all I have to do is outrun my bobcat hunting partner not the bobcat, when it gets after us........bowfoot/retired before started ex-bobcat hunter