Calling All "Old Timers"

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Zonaman, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    This may be a bit off the usual topic for this forum but I need to get in touch with anyone who may have been around to fish Central Arizona during the 1930's. Maybe you know/knew someone who did. Specifically, I need to know if Lake Pleasant was stocked back then. Arizona Game & Fish records show no stocking prior to 1941. However, the Lake was a private venture at the time and may have been stocked with private funds prior to that.

I'm writing a History of the lake and this has been a very difficult question to get answered. I'd also be interested in photographs that show the facilities (such as they were) at the lake (upper & lower) up to about 1960, especailly the Lake Pleasant Inn.

Apprecate any help I can get.

Thanks.

2. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not an old timer nor have I lived here long enough just wanted to let you know that this paper your writing sounds pretty cool and just wanted to wish you good luck with your research.

3. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thank you. It's a book, actually. Should be out by this fall!

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Micha, Where are you dude?? What about that old timer you fish with? Dave? He goes way back at Pleasant??

Gerry, I am going to buzz Micha and see if he can help..

5. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm kind of doubting that the lake was stocked before 1941. The folks that built the dam were in financial ditress and there was a drought till 1937. Love to talk to anyone who recalls the old times. I'm also wondering about the flaties. I see no record of them going in. Anyone recall catching those before the 90's when the Colorado River water started coming in?

6. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I was born and raised in Arizona, but moved away when I was 14. I remember a 13 pound flathead being caught at Pleasant by some neighbors. If I remember right it was caught on a nightcrawler. This would have been about 1982-1983! I also remember my DAD and Grandpa talking about catching monster bass there in the sixtys. They always trolled for them using Heddon Super Sonics.

7. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I caught a 5 lb or so flathead out of the lower lake in the late 70's,oh yes the good ol days!!

8. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Spoke with a park ranger who claims that the upper lake was stocked with smallmouth in the 30's. Said some still suruve. Anyone ever catch any at Pleasant? Says no flaties in the upper lake till the Colorado River was let in. I'm interviewing some folks from the Maricopa Water District soon (built the first dam). Can't wait to see their documentation!

One other thing- Anyone have a good (300 dpi or better), dated photo of a whopper flathead from the lake? I'd like to speak with you.

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona