Calling all GMR fishers!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey folks, I was thinking of maybe, with some help of course, trying to promote a small outing for all the regular GMR guys to get together and meet one another. Was thinking maybe a dozen guys from here, not a big full blown event, just a chance to get a group of folks together on the home water. I was thinking somewhere around Middletown/Hamilton area so its half way for the Dayton group and half way for the Cinci folks.
    Now I dont want to take anyones favorite spots but would be looking for a good stretch that is public, can hold a dozen guys, allows overnight fishing.

Anyone interested in helping me coordinate such a effort? anyone know of a good place to put a bunch of folks?

Anyone , anyone? Id love to meet some of the names I see on here all the time.

Im thinking maybe in June sometime.

Feedback, Thoughts, Ideas?

Salmonid

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it would be a good idea Mark. I think me and my brother would be interested in joining some folks down south. I haven't fished GMR that far south though, so I am no help for finding a good area.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    only problem with a gathering on the GMR is there are very few spots where you can fit more than 3 people, for the most part spots are crowded if you have more than 2. the only area i beleive you could do it would be in hamilton. there are 2 boat launches there and quite a bit of bank-space. the one area with a ramp is a good area but it gets slammed really hard, and the other stretch is channelized and only 1/4-1/2 mile between two dams. as far as doing an overnighter, their both not the greatest areas to be after dark but if you have 12 folks i beleive that would be a pretty good deterant. there is an area called Reitchler Forest right before hamilton, its a good area (bank-fish only) but unfortunately they have developed the "fear of the dark" that is so contagious amongst our parks, they close at dusk. also you have to pay to be on the property. im afraid these 2 areas are your only options on that river. have you thought about a reservoir? maybe cowan lake?

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dink, It all up for discussion! Cowen might be a nice inbetween spot as well, allows for a lot of shore fishing, boat access if you got a 9.9 or less and a campground.

Any other ideas folks? we will let this topic run its course for the next day or two and then we will see where the concensus is.

Salmonid

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
  6. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Hey Mark im in and im sure Nate would come too i will see him tonight at the Hockey game,I will bring it up to him,and the fact that Cowan Lake is your spot of choice is great as well,just have to give me a little notice so i can clear it with my wife.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bubbahunter & I & our wives have stayed in the Cowan Lake Cabins, they are nice & not too bad on the wallet.

8. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I would be up for either spot but I would have to agree the the gmr near Hamilton isn't multi fisherman friendly I used to fish down by the new damn on river road and all day long it was me and 2 or 3 other guys then about ten oclock i would bet there was 25 or 30 couldnt get your line in any where the is a spot behind columbia bowl that could handle a about a dozen or so late at night as long as it isn't too muddy I fish there all the time losts of channel and carp have seen some 9 and 12 pound blues from that spot and I caught a 25 pound shovel last year pretty quiet never had any trouble there

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Hey Mark,
    You name the place and im there. And i'll call you about fishing tomorrow or thursday

10. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    funny thing is the GMR is right across the street from my house and i never fish it!

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dip the GMR is a great catfishing river, how come you drive clear to the Maumee, with the GMR so close.

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, I was going to ask the same question???
    Dip???
    Salmonid

13. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i live about 40 miles north of dayton..... the gmr here is good for smallies, saugereyes and rockbass. no flats in my hood! and i don't know anyone that fishes south of dayton plus i LOATHE I-75 so i go north.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah, maumee would be closer for you no-doubt if you want big flats. heck, i didnt know there were flats up there!

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've always heard North of Taylorsville there's almost seldon a Falthead caught.

16. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    in middletown where route 4 crosses the gmr there is a big hole upstream of the bridge and you could get about 10 guys down there. is cowan any good for flatheads?

17. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    The GMR is as low as I've seen it for this time of year. There's easily 4' of visibility in still water. I've been down a couple times this year already. I want to try and target some "winter" flatheads in deep holes, but have not found good holes I can get to from the bank.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I look forward to meeting fellow catfisherman and learning a thing or two new.

Spencer

18. 1 at a time

1 at a time New Member

why not dip????

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any more to this gathering? I hate to mention it but a public place such as WC Dam area has lots of room, granted the fishing is not so hot, but surely a couple would be caught. I would be willing to put some time into this & help out. Maybe a small cookout, etc...

20. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Bryan, Ill take all the help I can get. And the WC Dam area would allow boat guys to get out and some decent shore fishing access. Let me send an email to MCD and ask about grilling, late hours etc. Perhaps we could get permission for 1 night to do something like that.

Mid June like the 17th? perhaps... I like the barbecue idea also.
    More on this later,
    Salmonid