Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Hi Slaphound,
Wecome to the BOC. It is nice to see that we have more Wisconsinites checking in. Sorry I can't help you out over there in Antigo. Its a far piece from here and I don't know the area. If you're in the market for a boat I have an old 13' Starcraft flat bottom with a pointed bow that I need to get rid of. I don't have a motor for it but it comes with a good set of oars and life jackets. It is old but it is in good shape with no leaks.
Buck

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman

I am in the most northern part of the state, about 10 miles from the big lake. Any cats up here? I cannot find them if they are. We go south to try to catch them. I keep hearing that some get caught in the Superior Bay, but I cannot seem to hook into them. Any one know where they hide, and how to get them on the hook in this part of the state, please, let me know!

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Hi Boatbuilder,
A buddy of mine used to catch some nice cats on the St. Louis River. I never fished with him so I don't know where he went. Not much information but I hope it helps.

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Boatbuilder,
The St Louis River and Superior bay can be fished with setlines (trotlines). This might be a good way to scout out the spots that look promising. Licenses for setlines are cheap and available through your local WDNR Service Center. For information on setlining go to the DNRs website at: http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/fish/regulations/2009/documents/setlinebankpole0910.pdf

Setlines are simple to make. Instructions are available on Catfish 1.

hi gents...and i use that term loosely...i'm over in appleton...fish different parts of the fox from green bay to....well, where ever....i've only gone as far upstream as brillion though. plenty of big cats but there is so much water to try, not much fishing pressure for catfish, but a lot of it doesn't have you're typical big cat habitat.....i.e. big lay downs. so it's a little tougher finding the big girls...stuck trying to fish flats next to big wholes and a lot of 'urban' structure. makes things interesting.....there is for sure a state record cat swimming around these waters...but don't tell anybody else that....i like not having to battle 30 other boats for a piece of real estate. might head out tomorrow night if weather permits.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Hi Ninrugger. It is good to hear from another cheesehead. It sounds like you cover a lot of water over in the northeast. I'm told we have some big cats over in this part of the state but haven't run into one yet. The Mississippi seems to hold the largest ones but so far they have eluded me too.

lets take a look at your lat and long maybe i could help,
if i go to new water i look at the (river wise) layout, curves, depth, of the structure. is there riprap downed trees or nice cuts and holes in the corners,
then i start lookiing for well thats pretty much it just look and see whats there,
its kinda wierd because here behind the house the river is divived down the middle where i fish by a slight sandbar, but they always hang out on the shallow side after dark i wonder if there is a bunch of table scraps left on that side , what i think it is, is that the current isnt as strong there so all the goodys per say flow back into the eddy, hmm anyways let me check your water via sattelite and i might be some help. and welcome .

i just took up fishing at age 51...my mentor has taken me to Jefferson, Fort Atkinson, and Marquette....fishing from the bank.

He's fixing his boat and he sez that's the real way to fish!

went to Beaver Dam last nite...weather sprinkled on and off...caught just little ones

only interested in fishing for ones i can eat!!

anyplace else to try?

hey and welcome first off how far do you want to travel? secondly me and my kids have a blast fishing from the bank the only time we take the boat is when they want to get real serious i tell you what nothing beats watching them march out the front door with there game faces on, lol . this is a great state for cats pretty much anytime you can find a type of dam your in buisness.

Hey Wis. catfishers ,I fish the Fox, west of Oshkosh ,Berlin . The fishing is slow for flatheads . The turtles are competing for my suckers ,have caught 5 flats this year on bank poles 3 0f which were to small to keep.Go Pack !!

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Hi Bolaj, welcome to the BOC. Jay Jay, thanks for answering the roll call. We have a pretty lively group here as you can see. Glad you're both a part of it.

Sure don't seem to be many wisconsin catfishers.Come on Cheeseheads,wake up.
Talked to milwaukee dnr guy and he is an avid catfisherman.He confirmed some locations to find cats and wants to know if I get any.He suggested not to eat any channel cats over 27", but flats of any size should be good.
That DNR man need to be educated. If you don't eat channels over a certain size, the flats will be just as bad. The higher up the food chain= more pollutants. Not only that but it's like eating baby muskies. It is also easier to get fishin buddies up there. More CPR people the farther North you go.

I visit family in La Crosse sometimes. I wish I had a nice bank spot to visit when I go once a year. It's a confusing area when you just visit. Add all of the water and it's like a huge maze to me.

I've also seen LONG discussions about what rules and what side of the river. The way I read them is the you buy this license and follow this set of rules way but I think more people have decided there really is an invisible line in the river. They've called DNR guys, etc. I don't know that the two states even agree on it.

yeah i was new to the area a couple years ago but i got into arguments with guys over how many lines etc. i fish on the water at night and am left alone. they do have a line that runs through the center of 90 bridge but i buy a wisconsin license and, it says to follow the rules in your book for boundry waters so i follow my rules, it is stated and if i get a ticket then maybe they should make rules for the stretches of water that the banks touch diffrent states diffrent and plainly marked at the launches, and have signs on the bank to where the fishing zones are marked, same as hunting. till then i will continue to do what i do by the rules of my state, if someone from another state is upset over our rules then possibly a uhaul could fix it for them ....another reason why i had gotten into arguments too was that if your are fishing on the wall at dresbach per say it is on the minnesota side of the """""""LINE""""""" so you are land bound by minnesota but you carry a wisconsin license on a boundry water these people said the dnr has issued tickets to people for using more then on rod which i can understand , but still in our rules it states you must fish by the rules of the state in which your license is for on boundry waters...unless im reading it wrong but call the dnr office and you will get the whole you should talk to an officer deal so i dont know what the deal is for sure i just fish at night so i dont have to deal with morons doin 60 5 foot of your bow and, all the other crap that goes on during the daylight hours........

howdy y'all

just thought i would pop in & see how the catfish are treating you guys. me personally, i'm out for a while. got 2 broke ribs. makes it hard to set the hook & reel em in. as soon as i'm better though, i'll be right back out there.

good luck & happy fishing

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.