Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Calling All Cheeseheads!

9K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  Zdlobik21 
#1 ·
Hey, let's have a roll call of Wisconsin BOC members. Let others know who and where you are. Show your state pride! Connect with your catfishing brothers & sisters. Step up to the plate. Show that Wisconsin isn't just about musky fishing. We've got catfish, beer, brats, cheese curds and, buddy, we know how to tailgate! Whether you're a Packer fan or ,God forbid, a Vikings, Bears, or Lions fan add your post to this thread. Stand up and be counted. On Wisconsin!

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman.

#2 ·
hey west, i moved here to wisconsin from michigan, love it here its been 2 years and i have no thoughts of returning got the lacrosse river in the back yard and the mississippi is not very far, got 4 kids that love catfishing, and i cant get away from it either lol nice to meet you, and i will tell some of the guys about our little stop....

#4 ·
Yes, beer not only helps you catch more cats; it helps keep the mosquitoes happy. Speaking of Mosquitoes, my neighbor said he shot one last week that had three wood ticks on it. The guy is kind of a bullshitter though. I doubt there were more than two ticks.:wink:

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of man a good fisherman.

#7 ·
i think im going out saterday night below dresbach if the rain holds off but, i had to do a bunch of work outside on the turbines at excel energy last week when it was heated up over 100 with the index so go figure the weather wont do me any favors on the weekend.....................................

#8 ·
ok i can share a secret here right lol, just got another shippment of secret 7 in and i cant wait to get down there again im going to run sonnys and that side by side and see what happens, also anyone fishing on the boundry waters alot i have a question the state line runs right in the center of the 90 bridge i was fishing walleyes this spring running a tandem (fuzzy grub on the bottom and a floating jig head with a gulp alive minnow above it) and i had a pole sitting idle by my side with a minnow on it ( in the water) this guy was down the wall alittle ways and i was getting walleyes 2 at a time he then got very upset and said what i was doing was illigal because i could only have 2 " hooks" on the boundry well from what i read in the book is that i had to obey the rules for the state i was licensed in which is wisconsin which said i could have three hooks .......
was i wrong?

#9 ·
I'm a newby but I've been lurking the site for a little while. Heading out to the main channel of the Mississippi tonight to try out some of the info I've picked up here. beer helps you catch catfish right?
im not much for beer never aquired a taste for it but i really like whiskey, lol
one thing i noticed is that if i dont have a pinch of kodiak in -- no bites, also if things get slow, make a call on the celly phone, or better yet get both hands busy with untangling or tying something they always seem to bite then.......

#10 ·
Hello,

Count another mark for the Cheeseheads.I'm hoping to learn from the forum all that I need to be successful at Catfishing in the east-central part of this state.In particular, where and what.Where the cats are and what to do to get them on the hook.
My exwife was from Chattanooga and I went catfishing down in those parts.I caught one and it was about 26 or so inches long .From that point on I was the one hooked,but it wasn't till recently that I learned that we have a good cat population here in Wisconsin.
As far as gear.I have a Quntaum 6'6" medium heavy rod with a Quntaum Iron IR120C reel.I know this is nothing fancy,do ya think it will work?The wife bought it for me at a garage sale for $8.Never used a baitcasting reel before and hope to learn how.
I will be moving to North Fond du Lac in August anyone from around the area that would like to take a rookie out let me know.Oh ya,beer ,brats and cheese seem to make the fishing better or at least make me feel better.

#12 ·
we got a shop in appleton also i know alot of the guys that work over there i will see what they have to say about where to go, next meeting. i duck hunt with one of the guys from over there actually i will call him and let you know tomorrow if i reach him, as far as gear i have caught some big cats on a 6,6 berkley lightning rod, i have also caught chinook and steelhead with that rod and i would still have it but for the fact that my kid shut it in the door of the truck lol o well i got an e glass out of it because the wife felt bad....

#13 ·
It seems like a good group of people that belong to the BOC.Thanks for the quick replies and friendship.
Was out fishing on saturday. Had a couple fish on the stringer. When a large snapper come an took a hold of a big Bullhead I had caught.Next thing ya know I'm wrestling my fish away from it and it takes half of it away.Come July 15 I plan on getting my revenge.Never seen a snapper that big before.Went on to the turtle talk thread to learn about preparing one for the table.Hope I don't lose a finger.lol:smile2::cross:

#18 ·
Sure don't seem to be many wisconsin catfishers.Come on Cheeseheads,wake up.
Talked to milwaukee dnr guy and he is an avid catfisherman.He confirmed some locations to find cats and wants to know if I get any.He suggested not to eat any channel cats over 27", but flats of any size should be good.

#19 ·
Skunked the last two nights. I wonder how the flats are up near the trempealeau dam, or if any of the 3-4lakes just south of the damn hold anything.. haven't been channel fishing in awhile now, got that big flat bug and can't seem to shake it.. they need to just change it to 4 poles/per person so i can throw two chicken livers n two sunnies/bullheads out.. blah the laws.. hope everyone is having a good week..

#21 ·
Hi Slaphound,
Wecome to the BOC. It is nice to see that we have more Wisconsinites checking in. Sorry I can't help you out over there in Antigo. Its a far piece from here and I don't know the area. If you're in the market for a boat I have an old 13' Starcraft flat bottom with a pointed bow that I need to get rid of. I don't have a motor for it but it comes with a good set of oars and life jackets. It is old but it is in good shape with no leaks.
Buck

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman

#24 ·
I am in the most northern part of the state, about 10 miles from the big lake. Any cats up here? I cannot find them if they are. We go south to try to catch them. I keep hearing that some get caught in the Superior Bay, but I cannot seem to hook into them. Any one know where they hide, and how to get them on the hook in this part of the state, please, let me know!

#25 ·
Hi Boatbuilder,
A buddy of mine used to catch some nice cats on the St. Louis River. I never fished with him so I don't know where he went. Not much information but I hope it helps.

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman

#26 ·
Boatbuilder,
The St Louis River and Superior bay can be fished with setlines (trotlines). This might be a good way to scout out the spots that look promising. Licenses for setlines are cheap and available through your local WDNR Service Center. For information on setlining go to the DNRs website at: http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/fish/regulations/2009/documents/setlinebankpole0910.pdf

Setlines are simple to make. Instructions are available on Catfish 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.