Called up my first bobcat of the season.

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jlingle, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yesterday, me and Bray (wood18) took out to go predator callin'. He had invited one of his policeman buddies who said he had some good spots to try. On our second stand, I called in a nice bobcat. We had set up close to an old pond dam, overlooking a very small overgrown field with a creekbottom bordering it. Typical cat country. There was an enormous turkey population in the area, so it just stood to reason that there would be some cats as well. Anyway, We had set up in a diamond pattern with 2 lead guys and one guy in the rear watching downwind. The foxpro was positioned in the middle of the 3 of us along a drainage ditch coming from the old pond dam. As soon as I flipped on the foxpro, I saw the cat dart across the corner of the field and drop into the drainage ditch, coming our way. Since he was out of sight and he couldn't see me, I whirled around & moved about 5 yards closer to the ditch, facing toward the caller to get the jump on him. He reappeared about 40 yards away under a mesquite bush and just sat down on his rump, trying to figure out what that green thing was wailing up in the tree. I ended up hitting him just a fuzz high, and I knew I'd blown him up a little just as soon as I shot. My bullet impacted across the top of his neck, just in front of the shoulders so I guess I'll have a little sewing to do. I saw fur fly about 10 feet in the air when I shot him. Whoops. He's still gonna make a heckuva nice pelt. Very good spots, and although he's not overly large, he's definitely a gorgeous cat.

I shot him with a Remington model 700 .243 with a 100 gr. Remington core-lokt psp bullet. Some folks really like that info, so I'll give it.

The picture is pretty sorry, I had to take it with my phone since I left my digital camera at home. Anyway, here's a pic if anybody's interested in seeing him.

Attached Files:

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Congrats on the cat, he's a nice size one. On the last day of season last year, I shot one right @ dark, it was just shy of 30#s.

I got him mounted for my buddies son, who should have shot him but he said his hands were too cold:roll_eyes:

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good time. They are protected here in Indiana, but I don't know why...they're all over the place.
    :confused2:

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Protected here in IL. too. Just 5 miles away in Mo. they are fair game.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice cat, I shot one a couple years ago with a bow while late season deer hunting. They make real nice mounts. Congrats.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Just out of curiosity, what do you do with them after you shoot them? Mount them? Tan the hide? Sell the hide? It's something I've considered doing, since there is quite a population of them and coyotes right here in my back yard.

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I just this year have been thinking about getting into predator hunting. I've built an electronic call using a $12 Radio Shack amp, $19 bull horn and my MP3 player. The sounds are available on the net. I expect to get in a trip before mid Jan and hope to have a little luck.

Thanks for sharing you hunting trip with us!

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for shareing nice cat:big_smile:

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jarrod, Cool story, thanks for sharing it with us. I lightened up your picture some and I'm gonna try to upload it.

st

Attached Files:

10. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Boy I'll Tell You What Jerrod You Really Know How To Juice Up A Story. It Really Goes Like This We Didn't Have Any Luck At Our First Place So We Went To Another And Sat Up However We Wanted Nothing Special And A Few Seconds Later I Heard A Shot Coming Straight At Me. I Looked Over At Jerrod And He Was Saying "here Kitty Kitty Kitty" We Walked To The Down Predator With A Hole About The Size Of A Half Dollar In His Neck. And This Was The Only Animal That We Had A Chance To Shoot. But Nyways Good Shot Jerrod.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oh shut up Bray. You're just mad 'cause you couldn't kill him with your pellet gun. :cool2:

I plan on selling the cats I shoot this year. If I can get rid of 'em quick enough, then the kiddos will have a little better Christmas. :roll_eyes:

BTW, the homemade e-caller you made sounds like a goodun. Let me know how it works out for ya.

Jerrod

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    congrats on the cat they are really exciting to call cause they are so silent they will be right there and you are lucky to even see em sometimes

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    pretty cool. never seen one in the wild. we cant shoot em here in ill.

14. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

are they that common in the south? i kno here around terre haute and everywhere else they are literally a once or twice in a lifetime occurance to see in the wild. ive herd some people from southern indiana say they see them everywhere. ive herd that erie scream made by cats while night fishing but never got the privlage to see one in the wild.