Call to muster:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Apr 9, 2009.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not an inspection, don't care whether you are bloused or not.

JD Harrison if you a mind to, unstrap that chin strap and give me some yap if you see this post. The rest of ya that count tell me whether I am right or wrong here. Boots that includes you too. No potato peeling time and Louderback promised not to throw you out for speaking your mind.

Happened to be in an unnamed store the other morning pushing a cart buying my Wheaties. Glanced down the aisle and here came this beautiful long legged gal, about 24 pushing a cart with a baby loaded in it. Nice gal, pretty gal, confident gal pushing that baby with a mission. Well I am scoping her out like the old man I am when I realized she was accompanied by a dark haired handsome guy about 26. About 6'4", well built, dressed nice in all black, straight-backed and walking with a swagger. An air of confidence about him. One of those kinds of guys you know not to mess with unless he calls your Mother a nasty name. I took my lecherous eyes off the gal and noticed a pretty Marine logo on his black zippup hooded sweatshirt. Nice, I thought.

They went by and I glanced back at him. On the back of that black, zipped up hooded sweatshirt on that straight backed proud man it said.

"While you was chillin', I was killin'"

Here it gets tough for me 'cause I want you to understand what I am saying, so read carefully and don't click the safety too quickly. Experience of a lifetime has taught me some things. My Father came back from II and never said a word to anybody, including his family, about what he saw and did. I don't even think he talked to his buddies, or they him, when he played poker at the Am vets about what they saw or did. My generation went overseas and died and fought and killed for a 'cause only they knew only in their dreams because no-one else would ever know. They came back, hated, despised and crazy. Never would they advertise like this ex-marine. This generation, Harrison's generation fought bravely like most guys who have to draw down on human flesh. Most if not all I have known are like that. Do it, did it, get over it.

I don't have a problem with the slogan on his sweatshirt. Don't misunderstand me. I think it was cool.

But do you veterans, those of you who worried about a round coming down your throat think this is a typical thing to see and would you wear this?

John.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I got out of the Marine Corps 41 yrs ago and I still wear MC gear. Once a jar head always a jar head. His shirt sounds appropriate to me. Some that I wear is like this. Never asked any one what they thought about it.
    Thanks for the post. Waiting for other comments!!

3. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Vietnam. I don't talk about and try really hard not to think or dream about it. I am proud of what I did for my country and leave it at that.

4. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went to Viet Namn and was in the Army, didn't matter over there ,we all caught hell. While there i did some pretty stupid things ,some because I had to and some not. Sounds like he liked killin better than chillin. It happens to some .It's just one if those things that happens to you and you never know it. Personally I wouldn't wear it ,but maybe he want in 40 years.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Post, I was one of the fortunate ones, I served my four in peace time. But, I had an uncle who served with Patton, one that was a sea bee, one a merchant marine, two in the Navy, one a Marine in the Pacific and all of them served in WW II. As a kid I would ask them questions about what they did and not a single one of them told any tales about killing people. Later as an adult when I would have adult beverages with them, I would slide in a question about their war experience and got the same answers I did as a kid. It was almost like they, their generation, had a code about not yakking about their war experience. I also have a nephew that fought in Bush's war no. one as a Marine, was decorated, yet to this day, I have never heard him talk about what he did and I have not asked.

In the early 60's I employed a WW II and Korean action veteran and was a POW in each, he only talked about the action in general term, mostly funny stuff that happened to him when he was on guard duty. Like bushes moving (in his own mind) and tearing them up with his machine gun.

As for the hooded pull over, if in fact, he did what he is advertising, he has every right to wear it and it's message. But if the message is false, then someday, his lie will bring him down.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was in the service during Korea but wasn't in Korea. I have no problem with that young man. That was what he was trained to do.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    8 months 2 days I did what I had to do. When I came back I would have worn it. I had a big chip on my shoulders. I won't wear it now. Its his choice. Different time different war. I would do it again because I love my country and I want it safe for my kids and grandkids.

Semper Fi

8. BAMAJUGGER

BAMAJUGGER New Member

State:
    mccalla,alabama
    from the hell those guys have had to go through,not knowing who your enemy is,road side bombs,suicide bombs,etc. i wouldnt care what he wore.i thank people like him and the ones that fought before him

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Pride was scarce for my generation. Reluctant to be critical. I can remember stopping and putting on my uniform for my parents. But it was avoided if at all possible; for most anyone I knew, or served with. You weren't safe at home in uniform, and I didn't keep anything but the "trinkets" when I was discharged.

If these kids are gonna have ta pull 4-5 tours and get "stop lossed" as we don't have enough boots on the ground.....he needs, right now, to be proud he's a stone killer. It might be the only thing that keeps him from taking his own life. As I type this "idjuts" are trying to understand why the suicide rate is off the charts for military personnel. (DUH?)

I'm for anything that will keep the pistol out of his mouth, and his favorite part; in hers. God Bless America. God may be the only one that can understand America. I don't pretend to. I can only say my two lil cents.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I notice that alot of "more mature" vets dont alk very much about their time. Both of my grandfathers are vets. One landed at Iwo Jima and the other was in Korea. I have one uncle who was in the Airforce and another who was in Navy during Vietnam. Another uncle was a Navy Seabee during desert storm...none of them really ever talked about their time unless I asked...

Honestly, to this day i dont understand the Vietnam war. I dont really understand if we won it or not? Maybe that is a question for another thread...

I think that it comes down to a generational thing. Vets from Nam would not wear such a thing (I dont think?) because of the general reaction it would draw from the public. Today, there seems to be more of an acceptance of the reality of war. Some of us abuse the heck out of that...like the knuckle head that threw the puppy off the cliff and got it on video...while I was in Iraq there was a unit that had t-shirts made that said "I ate a baby in Iraq"...there's some humor to it (as crazy as that sounds)...but the public here would not understand that at all. It all has a time and appropriate place. Does the Marine have the right to wear that on his shirt? He has as much right as the person who burns the very flag that Marine fights for... as long as both are willing to flack for doing so...hopefully that flag burner will get a little more than just flack...

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I might wear something like that, but only if I had done it. If he wants to wear it, its ok if he rates it, if not its his conscience. No need to be ashamed of what he done if he did it, seems like a thing a poge would wear. I appreciate those guys and gals, someone gotta do it, and its their turn.

An article in the VFW mag pointed out that vets of WWII had just as many PTSD problems as Vietnam and later. I don't recall WWI but no doubt they had their share.

One of the young kids in my nephew unit asked "when am I gonna be old enough to be as ornery as____________." If he came back, I reckon he will be as ornery as the other guy. It was the first time for most of em, and they went to the hot area. Lost quite a few

12. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I think those guys can wear whatever they want. Some of them have earned the right. I'm not here to judge. But frankly, I've spent 4 of the last 6 years in Iraq. I'm more than happy to come home and just not think about camoflauge and killing and all that. I've never killed anybody and I'd love to keep it that way but if someone else want's to wear a "Mess With The Best, Die Like The Rest" shirt, more power to them.

13. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    lots of good points and perspectives...

i dunno. everybody is different. like a good friend of mine told me after we got back. we had recently learned that a buddy of ours had been committed for psychiatric help. ol flesch looked me in the eyes and said "well nutz, some folks can handle it, and some cant."

i have seen guys who i know from eye witness/participation were in some pretty intense stuff over there. half of them dont seem to talk about it unless they have to, and some cant stop talking about it. my generation is often big on playing "shock value". we used to sing running cadence abou tkilling lil kids at the mcdonalds play ground, or putting your gf, in the hospital. it was a joke. not a very good one, but a joke nonetheless.

i doubt very seriously that anyone who has not experienced war fist hand (and i am talking about fire and close combat-not sitting in a tent playing video games) could possibly understand the sensations, emotions, and reactions of combat. hell, most if not all the guys who live it, dont understand it. i sure as hell dont.

i have seen similar shirts. "one shot 15 kills-usmc arty" "my kid can hit your honor student from a click and a half" etc. etc. etc. my favorite is probably "the beatings will continue untill morale improves".

personally, i dont advertise to strangers. my license plate says "marine". and inside my house i have a box with some memories that shouldnt be forgotten, but dont need to be remembered. my old uniforms are still stuffed in a sea bag. i only own one usmc t-shirt, and i dont have any pics from my life in the corps up on the wall. i still have 6 disposable camera's from the war that i have never developed. not to mention my mamma sent me a pic. of me in time magazine. and 2 dvd documentary's of my unit during the invasion, that i have never watched. no need. i dont think they would reflect the truth anyway.

not that my memory is great. abou tthe only time my memories are jogged is when a buddy i was with mentions a certain event or happening. and of course in my sleep. i still scare Amy from time to time at night. oh well. its not like its every night. or even every week.

allthough last week on the 8th, i had a vivd dream about some good friends who got blown up by a direct hit from incoming iraqi artillery. i woke up and realized it was the anniversary of that happening. prolly even close to the same time, when you consider time zones.

i have learned that i am much better talking about the war over the internet than i am in person. the owner of my company read a book written by colonel mccoy (who i served under during the invasion) he asked me to read it, and he wanted to ask me some questions. i couldnt read anything but the titles, but it seemed pretty danged acurate. when i went in to report to the boss, i started shaking so bad i spilled my coffee and i went outside and chain smoked a pack of ciggs... different strokes, different folks.

somebody mentioned rate. i agree. most marines who do rate to wear a shirt like that, wouldnt because they would be bombarded with questions by people who dont rate, to hear the answers.

my guess? the guy was a pog. but who knows?

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    JD, he was just to sure of himself to be a REMF. Could see it in his eyes and carry. Ya know the kind of character I am talking about.

15. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well you could easily be right. one of my best friends on earth got a "memorial tat" when we got back. its a bunch of m16's stuck in the sand upside down, in front of a flag. yall know the one. funny thing is he gets all pissed off when folks ask him about it. stupid a$$. advertise and then get mad when folks take note. who knows, that guy could have had a big chip on his shoulder. i doubt we will ever know.

16. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    my thoughts is your pappy came from dont kill any thing you aint gonna eat unless your in danger . this marine comes from internet news video games ect ect ect killing is cool on a certain level now days