Call me Stupid but...why is the Kansas River called the Kaw

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Aug 31, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    OK guys, cut me a little slack here as I have never fished, and hardly even crossed the Kansas River, but I notice some people calling it the Kaw. What is that all about? Is it just a part of it that is referred to the Kaw, or the whole thing? Am I just retarded, and don't know my facts as well as I should? Or maybe a little of both?:confused2:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    OK! You're stupid! LOL! I don't know either and never thought of askin. Thanx for sparein me! LOL!

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    The kansas river has been called both names as long as I have been around . I don't know why the two names for it.

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    George,

One of the many things I am known for is speaking up, speaking my mind, and the BEST of all........chewing on my foot more than most people care to! LOL Has your son made it to Wichita yet?

Dale, so as long as it is the same river, I am OK, I just was trying to get clear for sure what they were talking about. I am sure somebody out here will clear it up for us.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    His orders have him and his family leavin LakenHeath in January. Thanx for rememberin! Try that shoe with a little A-1 sauce. It works for me. LOL!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It may be like Lake Marion in South Carolina.They damed up the Santee River.The locals called the lake Santee or Santee Lake.I have no idea what all of the immigrants now call it.Maybe Kansas was like South Carolina at the time.I once heard this spoken during a discussion by a group of adults."You cain;t name no big lake after no injuns".Being that Kaw is a Indian name?peewee-williams

9. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was told when I fished Santee that Lakes Moutrie and Marion both make up the Santee-Cooper Resevoir. Not sure if this is right, but it is all Santee to me.

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i am pretty sure its because of the kaw indains that used to live there,other than that kaw is just a nick name for the kansas river

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I vote for Tom's answer. That is how I've always understood it - a nickname related to the Kaw Indians.

12. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
  13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Because Kaw has fewer syllables than Kansas river............too many syllables gives me a headache:wink: .

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Charlie should probably get the prize on this one.

15. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    AwShucks - you made my head spin with that one!

I assumed it was an Indian thing, but was not clear if it was the whole river, or just a portion of it, or what. I kept hearing people talking about fishing Kaw, and I thought they were fishing the Kaw Lake in Oklahoma.....that is where I was getting cornfused...:embarassed:

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I believe the top picture in Awshucks link is just down from where Cedar creek enters the Kaw and the bottom picture is of course Bowersock dam(5 block from the house or a 3 minute boat ride).

You all got me worked up enough to get me heading for the river this evening(that and Brad's pic), haven't been on the river in almost 2 months. Going to drown some perch and see what the river channels think of beef blood...........I'm also going to sip a couple of cold ones and hope to find a baseball game on the radio, river fishing at it's finest!!

Jeff, thanks for the rep, I try.........really I do:big_smile:

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Caught a couple 4 pound fish, an 8 pound carp and an 11 pound channel tonight.........all on blood, not a single run on my perch. The 11 lb'er looked like he had just come off the nest, head was huge, body and fins all beat up, and was pretty skinny. If the body would have matched the head that fish would had went around 16-17 pounds. No baseball, but did get to savior a few cold ones............also got checked by a game warden at the ramp, 2nd time ever on the Kaw.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Lawrence, thanks for the link, that's pretty interesting stuff.

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Brad, thanks, another good source to save. Been here 31 years and learned more about the river tonight than ever.