Call before you dig

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jan 27, 2009.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is what a high pressure gas main is capable of.

This slideshow shows the results of a guy using a post hole digger with out calling for “locates” and he hit an underground cross country gas pipe. I don't know if anyone was hurt.

There was similar happenings as above where we lived in TX. A guy digging with a pole digger hit a line near his house in the country. Two dead.

Once where I worked a guy running a backhoe hit an underground high pressure propane line. No one hurt, backhoe destroyed.

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wow , it looked like a war zone.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very good tip, I know that I am guilty of doing this, but have been fortunate to not destroy anything

4. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    De juvoo,,was just in a safety meeting this AM and seen the same slide show...I work in the telephone industry and come across farmers all the time setting post and had not called Dig Safe...they always say they know where everything is on there property...dUh,, I bet that farmer thought the same thing (but sad it happened):sad2:...going to a Dig Safe seminar at the end of the month...always learn something even tho I go to them every year...

Keep it tight

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Along with the dangers of Gas and Electrical lines,There are now stiff fines and even jail time for damaging utilities,especially buried phonelines.:crazy:

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That lesson is hard to miss! :eek:oooh:

Around here, we must call MISS-UTILITY before we dig. And yes, the fines are quite stiff if you take the chance and lose.

Thanks for the interesting post, Dayton!

7. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
    Thanks for posting Dayton.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Great reminder.I'm guilty as charged in doing as everyone else does. Go ahead and dig
    I know if you hit a fiber optic phone line around here it's about a million dollar fine.:eek:oooh: That would put the hurts on real quick.

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    man who needs dynamite, just hit a gas main w/ the post hole digger & game over!!!!!!

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep...good idea!

We've had not 1...but 2 similar instances happen here. Back in the early 80s, a city worker hit a gas main with a backhoe. The result was catastrophic, as dozens of homes burnt to the ground. It caused a pressure surge in the line. Some pilot lights were just blown out, but many became flamethrowers. I have tried in the past to find archive photos on the net, but have never found any. It was quite amazing. We evacuated to Hannibal, Mo. ...about 75 miles away, and you could still see the smoke.

The second was a crack in the Panhandle pipeline outside of town. Static from the powerlines above ignited the blaze. It looked just like those pics. I happened to be awake that night when it happened. At first I could hear a very low rumble. I thought it was thugs playing with their car stereo...then the house began to shake. I went outside to see what was going on. (Remember back when an A-10 was stolen, and later was crashed into a mountain?) Well...it hadn't been found yet, and I thought we were being bombed, lol. There was a mushroom shaped blaze several hundred feet high. I thought we were all doomed. I climbed on the roof, and watched the fire burn. You could feel the heat from 5 miles away, and they said that you could hear it burning in Columbia, which is 20 miles away. The ground was just like in that photo...Turned to red ceramic rock.

11. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Very Good post!! Locating buried utilities is part of what I do for a living, In fact I was called to Polo Mo. at 2:00 AM this morning on an Emergency Locate.
    :sad2:

Just remember, Its a free service and a Toll free call!!!
    In Missouri just Dial 1-800-dig-rite or now Just dial 811

Better safe than sorry!!!
    Thank You!!

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    If folks knew they had to pay the repair cost of phone cable, and knew what that cost was they would be careful. Add to that the fines and jail time, thats enough incentive to call. Having and explosion would be real embarrasing.

13. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luckily We don't have any gas lines...lol I've cut our phone line, TWICE, by digging post holes a couple of years apart. Both times I spliced it back together. When I was on dial up though the internet never was as fast... The phone company came out and replaced the line a couple of years ago. I'm working on fence now, and can't remember exactly where it is in one spot.... I better call and get them to mark it.....:eek:oooh:

14. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, Dayton... wise advice.

Plantin a little shrub front of our house last year, I cut through our satellite line :embarassed:

'spensive little boo boo, that was, but I'll always remember to think stuff through and call, if necessary. I hope.

Carolyn

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    YIKES! KaFreekin "BOOM"

16. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    There was a barn about a half a mile to a mile up the road from out house. They bailed the hay wet that year and your not suppose to do that cause the hay makes a gas when its wet and the gas gets caught in the bails and then they catch on fire. The barn had a propane tank in it and the hay bails caught on fire. When the propane tank exploded, it rattled everything in our house. We thought we had another earthquake.