Calion Arkansas Ouachita River...

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by The Pirate, Jan 1, 2010.

1. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    hello guys/gals...

ive been a member here for right at a month now and have talked to a few great people from my part of the state (South Arkansas), and read a ton on these forums...

ive fished for years, off and on, all around the southern part of the state (Calion Lake, Ouachita River at Calion, Lake Chicot, Lake Columbia, and Lake Erling) mostly... Ive fished these areas for most all fish species, and have had good luck in most areas for catfishing, but the one place out of these that i struggle the most it seems, is the Ouachita River around the Calion area...

this is the closest river to my house and would like to fish it more, but find that catching catfish here seems almost nonexistent...

if anyone here can help me understand why (probably mostly bait choice), or give me some hints on this part of the river, id be most appreciative...

i havent tried my hand in this area in a few years, at least for catfish, but would like to very soon...

thanks for any and all help and i look forward to hearing some responses...

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    don, it sounds like you are over in whisker maniac's neck of the woods. he lives in eldorado. i've heard the ouachita had some decent catfishing in your area. i have fished earling for bass and columbia for bass and crappie. most of my catfiahing is done on the red river here in texarkana.

3. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    hey fishstick...
    yes, I'm in maniacs area... I've chatted with him a little & hope to hook up with him...
    I'd also like to try my hand on the red river... I cross her, between Lewisville & Texarkana, about 3 times a week... The river has always appealed to me...
    thanks for your response...

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    that's called the garland city river access there. i fish it often. give me a holler and we'll give it a shot.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Welcome to the BOC DON

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Welcome to the BOC Don:0a25:

7. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks Pastor E!

Hey fishstick, I just realized, I also cross over the Red River between New Boston Texas and Forman Arkansas (where the river splits the two states)!

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I get this boat up and going Don we'll check out the river here this spring below Thatcher.

9. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Whisker,
    I'm gonna run my boat around Calion lake this Sunday, if it's not raining!
    I may take a crappie jig or two with me!
    I figure, if I'm gonna be on the water, I might as well wet a hook!
    I'll let you know if I run into something!

10. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    go to the right of the launch pad when facing the lake and go to the standing timber... there is a channel there right against that tree line that is around 9 to 10 ft deep ... you might catch some in the trees there....

If not there go towards the levy and off to your right you will see a duck blind there... in front of that duck blind is a channel the gets up to 17 ft deep thru there... you might catch some in that area.

11. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i was born and raised around new boston. i fished that part of the river all my young life.

12. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Ill look around for those spots!

Any particular bait you suggest?

13. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    I usually just use live minnows when I've fished there... fished a couple time with my dad there using his jigs and never had no luck... but I've only caught them there on yo yo's and live minnows but the ones I caught were huge... just ask shane about them lol