California "Traveling man..." camping and fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Dec 18, 2006.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Just thought that I would start this new thread.
    Remembering; "an ole fisherman", and all the "spots and tips" that "good ole boys" pass on to their "close buddies".
    Common now.... with less than .... 800 people in BOC,
    "Tell us about a place "...that has good camping (near/far), That would make our short stay..."Great......cafishing", and all that other "Good stuff) that you get out doors.....

There aren"t many BOC folks here in "Callie..Phorne...Yaa" ?...
    There is always more room on the bank, or in the boat...for buddies.

"Delta" is first on my list!

Later for now....

Bayrunner Ray

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Your living the life brother !

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gona Be there SOMEDAY Soon,Congrats, 1 1/2 Years.
    J.D.
    :ah:

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Ray,
    Any room for me?:big_smile:

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    The first time that I went to the Sacramento/San Joaquin river delta area I went with a Bro buddy of mine. We got a house boat and did it up right. We launched north of Stockton, on Eight Mile Road. We attached my 12ft boat along side and headed out to the main shipping channel. I mean there are big boats out here. Freighters travel here from the pacific ocean over 150 miles away.

There are over 1000 miles of water ways up here, and we did a lot of traveling and looking for fishing and camping places. You can your anchor many places, just stay out of the navigation lanes. When its time to stay for a spell, you must allow for the tidal changes that take place each day.

I took along a portable depth sounder and attached it to the side of the boat to help with the shallow areas. There are good navigational maps that can be used, but a GPS makes things much nicer with getting around. Good map skills are important. It is easy to “get lost” up here.

For our first voyage, we headed north up little potato slough passing whites slough, continuing up to the south fork of the mokelunme river. On the Moke, we continued heading north passing three excellent sloughs for mooring and camping out. Sycamore slough is first, with hog and beaver coming up next. Each of the four sloughs is great places to make a base camp to leave the house boat. “Better to park this gas guzzling boat” and go looking/fishing in another boat. It is easy to get to the shores of the sloughs as many people drive there, and fish from the banks.

You will pass several marinas along the way, and each one has good facilities to get needed supplies and bait etc.

The scenery up here is fantastic. The sunrises and sunsets are miles off in the distance, and entice you to come back for another visit.

We made another house boat trip here the following year, which was to areas south and west of our original trip.

Since these two trips I have returned a dozen more times, but now I was shore camping and seeing even more new fishing grounds. A later time for those places.

Bayrunner ray

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Since these two trips I have returned a dozen more times, but now I was shore camping and seeing even more new fishing grounds. A later time for those places.

maps of the area

Paradise Marina
    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=16&ll=38.054917,-121.457119&spn=0.011456,0.013604

Herman & Helens
    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=17&ll=38.060332,-121.498833&spn=0.005727,0.006802

Empire Track… Point and launch
    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=38.043867,-121.497701&spn=0.002864,0.003401

bayrunner ray

7. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I know many of you guys are much like me.... you see a bridge comming up the road and you look to see if there is any water under it and how much. I have gone north on I-5 many times heading to Oregon and places north, and as I looked down to the San Joajuin I said to myself that I was comming back to check it out. My mother in Law has relatives in Lathrop. She is always looking for a ride north, and I decided to bring her along, and drop her off. My first place to launch my boat was at Does Reis. There is good camping there, and a great launch ramp. The only bad thing is that there is no shore to leave your boat at. It is either in the water, out or at the dock.
    As I lauched the boat I moved out into the current and checked the depth it all looked ok. I spent the rest of the day fishing down river looking as I went some 15 miles. I found several good places to spend the night to fish. The next day, I went back for lunch, did my hellos, and went back to the river and now I headed up river looking and fishing. Just below I-5, about 3 miles south is where the Old River joins the San Joaquin. There is some good water there, and you can get to it easy from a road on the levy. Traveling further south, at Mossdale on the east side of the river, and under the railroad tracks their is another launch ramp.. but the parking is a good walk away. As you leave the launch ramp area. off across the river to the west is the I-5 underpass and Mossdale trailer park. Here is a great place to camp on the river. launch ramp, basic camping, tents etc, and lots of bank fishing in camp and south along the river. further south (up river) is another r/r crossing, and deep holes on the left and right as the river makes a turn to the west. good deep holes on that inside bend. traveling further south and west, you encounter a wing dam... Got ot go way around to the right to get by and sand is shallow in spots prior to it... but this hole will have sturgeon in it as well as cats that are big. Lots of rock to the left as you come around the wing dam, and it continues for 50 yards... and then gets back to sandy and all. Continuing around the next bend, and right turn into a long straight away is an area that is so full of shad during the summer nights that you would think that you could walk on them. Moving further another 1/4 mile, there is a quary rock barrier, that dams off or stops the water from moving into Pardadise cut. Here is a spot, over the levy to the right that is great. To get there from the west by boat is 7 miles up a dead end . but here is nice clear deep water with lots of pan fish and of course the good ole catfiish... this place can be gotten to by using the levy road. I have not been there by road... only the water road. If You wanted to camp out at the sand bar at the wing dam look out for the river monster that could be in that big hole. I saw some drag marks on the beach... thought that it might have been a giant beaver or something... but I get to thinking that way when I'm out there all by myself at night.... just me and my friend Jim beam.

check it out... good camping and no water skiiers.
    Does Reis Launch
    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=17&ll=37.831565,-121.310939&spn=0.005745,0.006802

Old River and San Joaquin
    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=37.808496,-121.327761&spn=0.002874,0.003401

Mossdale Launch ramp
    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=37.786877,-121.306556&spn=0.002874,0.003401

Train track River Bend
    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=37.777529,-121.30117&spn=0.002875,0.003401

Sturgeon / Cat-hole
    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=37.772496,-121.30286&spn=0.002875,0.003401

Paradise Dam
    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=37.760168,-121.309238&spn=0.002875,0.003401

Bayrunner ray

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    WOW!!!!! Brother Ray, some of them spots are awesome! Deltalover, swtdaddy and lilhooker introduced me to many of those spots. I believe the lil mobile home park there at mossdale is closed now. No camp or launch I hear:sad2: The other side has a day launch. Deltalover and I camped at mossdale many times:smile2: Even camped there with our families at the trailor park camp ground. 8 mile rd, whiskey slough, man......geeod fishing. House boat is the way to go too. Love your post. Like being there. Thanks for the memories:wink:

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Robb.... That place there was a "jewel" the owner(s) had character managers there operating the place.... I mean some of them had legal jobs in addition to their other not so legal things they did.... When I first pulled into the camp from the "under pass" ..... "Deliverance" flashed before my eyes.... I mean "like is it ok to drive in here?".
    When it came to launching my boat... I thought that I would not make it look as though I was staying. Kept all my stuff inside the Mini van and all locked up. All because the "folks" staying there were "very questionable" I mean these folks were living there.
    everything turned out ok... They had guard dog to watch their camp when they would take off... as they would just fish or ride the bike back into town in Lathrop for supplies.... The had been camping free down the river.... but doing that was a harsher life....

Anyway, I'm going to miss it.... There are 3 local gals there that can tell you where the best "HOLES" are, and maneuver their boot like vetrans.... They grew up there as kids... even water skiing and such.... That Bar at the Landing was "A Far Out Place'. MY wifes' aunt told us lots of stories, Hey I even went there for a XGiving Night "Social Dance Thing" Thats all gone I think,? If I'm hearing you right?

I just put in my $200 deposit (paid in full) on the Delta Trip on
    March 9,10,11,12. You guys can start sending your $100 date deposit, as I'm going receive the informational "stuff" next week....
    I'm going to request to list what your bringing... boat, place of boarding the boat, so that I can get a list going.... Well talk about essentials later on..

Im bringing: 45K btu outdoor heater, fish cleaning station, fold up table for the front deck, BOC flag... (got to make it), Bait; mackerel, anchovies, Crawfish trap, Aluminum latter (for getting to shore plank)' Big Ice chest with Dry ice and cubes...Chum boat for the Houseboat....
    So this is the start of a list for the trip.

By for now.... Lets sign up California Catmen....

Bayrunner ray

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ha! Ha! Ha!....ROFLMAO:haha:
    I know what you mean Ray. that gate and the lights and people looking at you as you drive through there:eek:oooh: They were down to earth folk. Gave us all the fresh dead shad we needed. We would usually get shad at that pipe under neath the RR tracks. You ever see people cross the tracks to get to the pipe? Crazy!!! Phillip did it all the time. Dang trains come through there fast and a fat boy like me:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: Never make it:lol: I think only the mobile home park is open. Night club been closed for a while. They have a fruit stand as you come off the freeway. Got a lil sandwich shop:eek:oooh: AWESOME!
    At one time as a kid, I lived on several rivers. Wasn't my choice:crazy: I know all about "that harsher life". The word harsh is an under statement:lol: Learned a lot though, some good and some bad. All I knew was when I have kids they would never live the way I did for that period of time. So my 17 year old daughter and 14 year old son is spoiled rotten:roll_eyes: Sometimes though I wish I could take them back to how I had it as a kid:tounge_out: They don't have a clue to what "hard times" are:lol: OK...See, got me memoring: lol.....roll_eyes:
    I like to board there at paradice if I can?I know Vince is ago too. May ride up together if he can stay the whole time. Send me the info on where we send the $100. I am excited!

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Ray,

I'm sorry to say that I'm a "Landlover (LoL:happy: )" when it come down to fishing because I don't own a "Boat" or a "Car".:sad2:
    :ah:

But I have been fishing the Delta Waterways for as long as I can remember.
    (over 40 years)
    :embarrassed_2:

So when it comes down to fishing the Ca. Delta from the shoreline, I'm your man.
    :confident:
    But just by looking at some of those camp-site, :worship: "Your the Man".

But there are so many areas on the Delta that I haven't even touch.
    :0a28:

"So you know that I'm looking forward to this"! - "I Can't Wait"! :0a22:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

12. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Calif. Cat Men. Most of my spots that I have found on the delta were ones that looked good as I was cruzing down the cuts and sloughs... You see a neat place on the side, where someone has taken time to 'fix it up real nice like"....If they have a trash can, thats to imporved... Not that I say leave your trash.. no way.... "take everything with you" Some of the Islands have imporvements on them... like folks live there.... when they get there. Bert... we'll place you anywhere on the shore you want to go to.... Hopefully, the "Mother Ship" will be on top of some good cover and hot spots....I'd say plan your gear for the big boat....The have 6 deck chairs, but I bet there the plastic type that my but gets stuck in trying to get out... bring you own for the boat and or shore fishing. Got to get some pole holders to attach to the sq, or round top part of the railing... some bungie cords to keep things up right at the rail when traveling....
    But... in addition to this, have your shore stuff ready for the bank fishing. You might want to stay there all night/day.... I dont know... we'll take cells and call when you need a taxie ride back...to the "M Ship"

Printing up the Helmsman copy of the "traveling Map" right now...

later... bayrunner ray

R. Gilman.... 818 El Redondo St. Redondo Beach, Ca. 90277

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :eek:oooh: Oh No Ray,
    Don't get me wrong - I would love a chance to wet-a-line from a Boat, I'm just saying that I don't get the chance to do so all of the time.

I can't wait to hit some (if not all) of the areas in a Boat. :0a23:
    :big_smile_2:

I fish the Delta all of the time from the shore, it will be a nice change to hit those spots for a Boat.
    :0a22:

Take Care Buddy,

Bert & Phil

14. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Bert... No wheels to get here?.... Maybe we'll have to come and get you then... Give the Cen Cal boys something to do while us "down south boys" are driving up to 8 mile road.... When we get an Idea who all is thinking of going, we can plan the shore pick up points at maybe two places... one at the south end of Empire tract, where there is a boat ramp, and closer to camp, at Tiki Lagun. I dont think that you can launch a boat at Tiki? Robb do you know about launch at Tiki?

My boat has a 40 gal tank or about 200 plus miles..."call me the taxi"

bayrunner ray

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
  16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    If you ever travel to northeast Ohio, let me know. I can't promise monsters, but I can show you some good spots to really enjoy fishing.

17. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thats what it is all about. Why I love the BOC. I will take you up on it brother and it goes for you too. Wish I was rich and retired:roll_eyes: I would be over ther in a nice RV pulling a boat up to a spot of yours. Ah.......Need to hit the lotto:wink:

18. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    The same Here - I Need to hit the lotto or find a truck full of Money. :0a32:
    LoL:happy:

Take it easy Buddy,

Bert & Phil

19. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Bert, Have you ever heard some "loud" music at night when fishing the Delta? 2 or 3 times, as I was going down the south Moke, I saw a 5th wheel trailer on the side of the Levy. This guy must be a "rock star" he gets out there at night and gets up on top of the 5th wheel "stage" and blasts away with the music.... I mean its loud like L O U D type loud and I think he's out there by himself.. "Jamming" on something... I know its not Jimmy Hendricks or Elvis.... Is he famous other than the Delta concerts he puts on.... You can hear this music for miles and miles up here at night.

bayrunner ray