CALIFORNIA RIVER EXPERIENCES

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by gilmafam, Jan 16, 2010.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    CALIFORNIA RIVER EXPERIENCES

As I read a post from "California Boys" Robb "Daystrachis"..... he mentioned that I had shared with him some of the rivers that I have fished in California.

You see......... Fishing Rivers has been a passion of mine for many years... My waterski buddies were always looking at new water to ski and places to camp...I had more time to looks than they did as being an Educator does have its days off....

I thought that I would start a thread to let our fellow members of the state get some "local information" on where to get to access to a river with a boat....

The boat size I am speaking of does not have to be a big thing ....rather the size You and I may trailer or like a "car top" .... maybe inflateable's...

So I'm doing this to get more of you guys out to some good water that that my not be fished from the shore.....

One spot that comes to mind .... a place to start this thread Is....

The water above the I-5 bridge on the San Joaquin River.

(a note here..... I alway like to go up river to check things out first.... if the motors working good...LOL, and then its down river....)

The most unusual way on moving on the water here was not the traditional float tube.... like is done in the summer by kids..... rather is an "air boat"....

On this streatch of the river... I have seen two different airboats on the water.... not very quiet... but they can get someone up the river when it is shallow, and then tied up or drifted the waters....

You use to be able to launch at "Mossdale Mobile Park".... the ramp is there... but not sure of its accessability.....

But, for sure you can lauch at the "Mossdale County Park" north of the freeway....The water is ok all the way up to the second railroad bridge... (1/4 mile) and then in the first turn of the river... you need to go slow and pick your way and try to get the next 1/4 done.... and then the water opens up .... with depth (the river is 20-30 foot deep in the turn)

Another launch ramp is from further down the river at "Dos Ries County Park"...

From Dos Ries .... it is nice with some big bend in the river.... up to where the "Old River" forks to the right. I have seen many fishermen on the banks at the fork... as well as boats at the intersection.... "Blue Gill" anyone.....

Both these waters can get windy.... the wind chop can bug you as you motor into it.... but the area will support staying in the boat or there are nice sandy beaches in the turns where I have seen folks camping under the shade.... plenty of firewood on the beaches....

So have any of you Central Cal boys been here... what are your experiences....?

Next up for me.... I'll talk about more of the Delta....... two rivers that come together at a real slick spot...

Bayrunner Ray.....(River Rat)

2. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Ray I can't wait till you get around the lower Colorado say from Blythe to Yuma and all the lower lakes and backwaters that's the area I'm into!! LDJ , :clap::clap::clap:

3. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Hey Ray thanks for the info bro I always wand to float on that river am going to get me a big float boat or a canoe so me and wife can hit these areas and get those blue gills or cats strippers to at two rivers I went down that river have so good spots over there too

4. KATFISH J.

KATFISH J. New Member

State:
    CALIFORNIA
    I`ve fished that area a lot , back in the day...... We would fish the banks around Dos Rios for Stripers and nice Channels at night and lots and lots of White cats and once I got a boat we would troll up through there with big Rapala`s with hoochie skirts on them to hook up on some nice stripers.......

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Jonathan..... I can't wait to tell you about it....

But I'm still working on the Delta area Rivers....

The Modelumne River is the one I'm talking about next.....

It is a major river that feed into the San Joaquin River just before it meets up with the Sacramento River at an area that is called the Delta.....Some of you "Deltalover Houseboat Boys" might remember we anchored up our last nite in a bend in the South fork of the Moke......

This body of water is still very much wide open and can have some big yachts traveling on it...But the place that I want to talk about is where a small boat can launch... and enjoy the river higher up the system where it is safer from larger traffic.....

As I first came to Wimpys and New Hope Landing while traveling on a houseboat with a buddy of mine... it was a real nice experience....... We had been traveling up Patato Slough from the South where we rented or boat some 20 miles up or was it down river?.... Well it might be best to say across the Delta.....

We had just crossed under the Walnut Grove bridge... and Wimpys came into view..... Like this is what I expect the South of the USA to look like..... The water is kind of forcefull here, but we tied the houseboat off and went up the ramp to the Restuarante..... Got a cold beer and requested to have our boat filled up......

This place was cool.... The bar rocks at night and monday night etc..... Well I decided to come back and launch my boat from Wimpys the next time that I was coming up here.....

The North and South forks of the "Moke" split at a nice place to launch from.....

Ya see... this is where the Moke gets smaller.... and you cannot use a big boats from here up..... Oh, you could do it for a while.... but mooring is rather non existent..... and the bigger problem here is the fact that the river does have two tides each day....... got to plan your ropes and tieing off....

So..... More to telll you about this river...... It has Salmon coming up it.... maybe some Sturgeon as well......

Here is the river up stream from I-5 near Thornton

Later for now......

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "That some real good information Big Ray.....You know that I love hearing info on the Delta....old Phill ("Deltalover") use to had alot of them (Stories)
    :wilt:

7. gilmafam

State:
    California
    CATFISH J..... Thanks for the reply.... sorry I have not been back to this post in a while...

You are so right on your post it is excellent fishing..

I dont think I presented that I took Plumbertom1 and Shania (Bert) to the campsite at the park.... excellent camping and the launch is really nice....

You are so right about the area.... so much fishing to be done there... you can boat to spots and do the fishing form the shore at nite and do a camp out.....This body of water and all its structure on the sides.... and the old trees on the banks and jammed up in some of the turns..... Lots of fishy looking spots....

And all centrally located and just off the freeway....even has a Bass Pro Shop down the road a bit....

We will have to "hook up"......come to Mendota ... or see ya at Blythe in April... or will you be there in May?

8. gilmafam

State:
    California

Well back to it ........California River Experiences

I want to say that I, in no way am an expert on the rivers of California..... I have done many of the southern rivers that lead into the Delta, the Colorado and kings rivers..... but there are many more rivers along the coast that requires a different type of boat to fish it.... I'm sure that there are some of you out there that have fished for steelhead on some of them.

The access to the Delta at Wimpy's gets you out on the water where you can tuck into a safe place out of weather and get some good fishing as well. The nice thing is that you can easily come back to Wimpy's to party or get provision ..... gota have a boat....

My first trip there was quite an experience as I pulled into the Moke and headed up river.... The depth of water is 6-10 feet in depth and gets into real shallow 8 or so miles up river....

I was on my way back down river after dark.... I had stopped at the point where the Moke and Consumes rivers come together on the way up..... This area rocks during salmon season.... But anyway, it was dark as I sped into a low hanging tree.... luckily I had a stand up boat at the time.... my lexan windshield bent back and I was knocked down... when I got up it happened again.... Ok.... time to slow down and find a spot to stay for the night.......

Once again I was glad that my boat had sides on it to keep me in....

In the morning..... I awoke to see my flashlight on its last bit of power.....fading out....

I had managed to tie off the boat..... and found that I had wrapped the front rope around my prop... Yuk and to top it off.... I lost two rods that were standing in front of the windshield....Got to watch the sauce I guess..

Well.... back to the ramp and then back down to Lathrop where I had dropped off the Mother-in-law..the day before.....Stupid me... I did not put film in the camera.... I thought I took some nice pics....but the camera was up to # 40.... so I tried to rewind.....nothing there...

Again... this part of the river is off the main river.... and is a good place to check out for some good fishing....

Here again is a link to the area....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...89,-121.491966&spn=0.014463,0.017681&t=h&z=15

Well off to some more information on the Lower Colorado river....

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    All I can say is I love your post. I can actually invission your story in my head. Just like being there.... Reps!

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Ok low dessert Jonathan..... Here is some information of the Lower Colorado river...

When I fist head about the Martinez lake area I was reading about the area for bass and crappie and cattin and wanted to check it out... I was not in to looking at water via Google maps....And so, when I got a copy of the canoe guide for traveling the 80 or so miles from Blythe to Yuma... or Martinez lake I was rearing to go.

The water looked interesting and so I planned my departure and went down during the week to avoid the weekend boys and girls.
    The drive down there is by two different ways...I came down on Arizona side of the river from the town of Quartzite. The trip south can be boring on hwy 98..... and the two lanes are marked for passing when it is safe.....Just before the Yuma Proving grounds... you pull off the main road and drive into restricted area for some 10 miles to Fisher Landing. Fisher landing is off the river with an inner lagoon that is where the launch ramp is.

Since I was going to sleep on the boat... I just launched and head out to see what the water was like....I had my 12 foot semi-vee boat with me... trolling motor in front, and in the back.... My horse power of my engine was 15 hp. so you can see that I was not going to be a speed demon...I went down river 6-7 miles to see the imperial dam, and then came back to fishers to get some gear for the first night....

back later...

11. gilmafam

State:
    California

Since I was going to sleep on the boat... I just launched and headed out to see what the water was like....I had my 12 foot semi-vee boat with me... trolling motor in front, and in the back.... My horse power of my engine was 15 hp. so you can see that I was not going to be a speed demon...I went down river 6-7 miles to see the imperial dam, and then came back to fishers to get some gear for the first night....

I was impressed with the water.... I had an OK fish finder..... Ha. Ha... but my old Eagle was good for accurate depth... This first trip I spent the night in the front of the boat... with seat cushions it was like a recliner....I stayed rather close to Fisher landing.... there is nothing up river ..... except for Martinez Lake.

Been back to fisher Landing many times... further out from the store to the east is dry camping for 3-4 $$.. I have used the RV spaces back to the south of Fishers... think it was $20 a slab and ele.

So I you look at an aerial of the area... one can see lots of water..... backwater and lakes.....Fisher is the place that you first come to as you come into the area..... straight ahead is the store and post office... and fisher landing (ramp/bait/gas)...
    If you go to the right the road goes to the other landing at Martinez .... got a nice little store there and some live bait as well...
    There are some really nice looking residential units on the banks of the river, and overlooking the inner lagoon.... From the store area.... to the north, the road leads through lots of trailers and sorts..... even a kick as resturant there as well....
    So Martinez entrance has shallow water on the sand bars out in front... but if you turn up river there are some holes that are to 30+ feet at the big rock walls...
    If you are on the water out in front of Martinez.... it is 1/8th mile down river to the Fisher landing entrance...(shallow).

So, the two places are at a big rock wall point that is where the river make a turn from the west...... Up to the west about 2 miles is an entrance to another backwater lake ..... Fergusson. deep water going in... then shallows and some rock to negotiate as you just enter in........ Lots of tall standing trees sticking out of the shallow water to the south, and then turning to the right and north is a area where some folks water ski.....

Both of the lakes offer some excellent area to get out of the river to avoid traffic...... Just as you leave Martinez... there are two ways to get around the long sand bar that is present in this big turn before the Cliffs..... Lots of shallow water but a good line will get you through.... one side to the other and then back..... And then another rock on the way to the Ferguson inlet....

There is some 30+depth there as the general depth of the river is 4-6 feet away from it....

I have gone up river 30 miles..... I have fished the upper "lower River" with Plumbertom1, Tofish, and several others on one trip, and went to meet Riverbudd55 and BilleyJo when my wife and cruised up with Gary Tofish and Russ "tailgunner"

We camped above the Picacho camp area..... You could drive on the California side on a near 4x4 road 20 miles out of the Winterhaven area.....

They have 5-6 boat in areas on the river......The have shaders...... chemical toilets and a table ... basic camping and you will see some wild life during the day or nite time for sure...... You can build a campfire .... but wood gathering is restricted...

The topography up from Martinez is rough volcanic rock..... sand bars.... so some advocate staying on the AZ side for most of the trip up the river....... some time you can see it is "null and void" and have to zig and zag to get around the outside of turns....

There are many backwater lakes off the main river as you go north.... some you can get into them through the dense canes and tullies ..... nice bait gathering lakes..... a canoe or yack would be great......

There has been much mining in the rough rock along the river.... This part of the river has no restraining "rip/rap edges....the river is all natural..... Lots of rock out croppings and the usual holes around them..... cuts in the banks... and the usual where the vegatation and rock come together ... and deep water.... ya got some good prospects..

When we, I say the BOC buddies went up there.... the third time that I went to spend the night...... My wife and I slept in the boat...... our cam was just to the west of a majestic wall of rock..... We shared the site with some folks that drove in, and a family of dad and two kids also spent the night.........I was bushed..... it is a long boat ride up.... and the ole eyeballs get tired of looking with the sun in your face.... and glare off the water.......Would you believe ole Russ.... "tailgunner" is a scout leader..... he had some coffee and food going with the others were still snoozing.......This area is Great..... you can canoe down from below Blythe...... I think that Riverbudd55 came down from Walters Camp 30-40 miles up river..... All Virgin river.....

Gota go

12. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Let me give you some info on mossdale area. the mossdale mobil park and ramp has been closed for yeas ever since the developement company bought the bar and turned it into thier office and has now gone bankrupt with the collaspe of the housing industry. the mossdale ramp is open always has been even when they were doing repairs to it. Just good luck on finding anything left in your pickup when you get back to the ramp. Yes the area is full of thieves anymore that have migrated over from the bay due to the big move from the bay area to the lathrop manteca area. does rios same thing watch out for thieves. ok going up past the old park go under the trestle go to your right past the old camp ground there expect to hit 6 inch water ask me how I know I was just there monday. going down to the y the everage depth has always ran around 6feet deep there are deep holes yes the turn at the y on one side is around 5 feet deep the other side is at 27 feet right now. if you go up the y towards stockton you will hit tons of shallows if you go towards tracy up old river same thing. as for bank fishing you can not sit on the bank or tresspass anywheres on the south side of the river where people used to fish and camp from it all belongs to that property company. When they bought all that property up they basicly closed off a lot of access to bank fishermen/gals. You can fish off the other side of the river though if you can find your way in there.
    I myself recomend going out to grant line canal or go up to stockton and go out to one of the many marinas out there. mossdale is not worth the 10 bucks to launch anymore and the thievery is out of control. The punks that hang ournd out there are rude and disrespectful I wnt to dock my boat and get my truck punk fishing off the dock and it is posted several times no fishing from the dock he almost got his ears bashed in from his mouth. At least at dos rios I havnt seen punks mouthing anyone or fishing off the dock and refusing to move so you can dock. There are also launch ramps in down town stockton but take your chances lol.
    Windmill cove is a decent place turner cut list is endless and not that much farther to go from mossdale area and much better fish and fishing safer ramps etc. Here is a bit of info that may be of some interest to others.
    http://www.californiadelta.org/fishing.htm

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Smoking..... Yea, one summer back in say 98, I met a couple that was down and out and living at the old Mossdale trailer park.....They had a tent, and the girl rode her bike to Lathrop to work at the Jack in box.... flat tires all the time....The guy stayed and watched the camp site with his dog...... Had a pole in the water all the time.... They took a liking to my wife and I and we spent some time on two ocassions talking about the old river... as these folks were locals to Tracey and the area....

I met another fellow that was a "so to speak" guide.... he supplied chad to bait stores and again had many years there as a youth....

A flood came through and washed everything on the banks..... the druggies and gays and lesbians lost all there things...

Yea.... the "discovery Bay" area has really changed the area.... My wifes Aunt was a local from Lathrop, and told many tales of the happenings at Mossdale Landing...... Sorry to see the ole boy leave that owned it..... He had a real nice houseboat.... a river houseboat at that.......

Yea.... It is as you say..... the banks to the west side are private and the barriers stopping traffic allow for foot traffic.. but no parking "so to speak".... Sorry to hear about the "low life at the ramp"

The county came in a bulldozed the crack/druggies "settlement" to the west of MossDale on the south side.....One person that was there one week that I stayed at the trailer park ramp was..... a "hard core" biker... and had local indian blood....he was an ok guy... but was hiding from the law.... which was so easy to do on the banks of the river at that time....

To say the least..... it was spookie there.... and I always worried about the campground while I was away fishing...

Thanks for the suggestions on alternate launching sites..... Seems best to lauch at Dos Rios, and at least the camp ground is safe.....there..... but still the beach there is a haven for the locals to do the beach thing......

These reasons are are why I have looked to other places to launch from..... Mostly it has been on the east side of Delta, now I stick more to the bigger places.... Brannen Island State Park for one.... but even there.... stuff in your boat can be ripped off in the middle of the night by thieves.....

Thanks for the link.... I have links there as well.... tides and fishing infor.....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    OK.... I have to at least post thank you for the post Smokin. I have to jam to work. Be back on in a bit to post more.I will post herereal soon. Usedto love Mossdale and the bar it had...lol!It made it nice.We'll I am all ready late formy meeting (whats new). Post soon. Thanks again Jeff.

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    We (Deltalover and I) used to set our camp up there through the trailor park. They would give us fresh shad all the time. We would walk south there to the RR tressle and cross it. Damn, that is a scary thing. One time Deltalver and I was crossing and a train was comming. I didn't know this fat boy can run as fast as I did... lol!
    Anyway, we would cross over and fish the pipe area. Man some good fishing to. We could catch our own shad right there as the water pumped in to the river. Then fly line the shade an BAM! striper and cats! Man them were the days!

16. gilmafam

State:
    California
    The loss of Mossdale area ..... it was really nice to fish......

Again..... it was like many of the rivers that I crossed going North..... You see one and wonder where to launch or how to get down to it.....

Was nice to go onto the "old river" and fish the big log jams by the boy scout camp.... and then it was nice to pic some fresh veggies from the fields too.

17. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca

You can still launch there but I am not sure I would do it to early anymore. The ranger gets there around 9am. The old trailer park on the campground side had some decent locals lving there. Larry owned the trailer right next to the ramp super nice guy. Spent many nites at he camp ground cheap way to get away without spending a ton of money.
    I will still go there but I wont leave anything in my pickup that they would deem worth stealing. Also dont leaveyour boat unatended while getting your trailer lol seen them steal people blind. If things go right later this month I am going to go to grant line canal and try it out over there.

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ok,so the boat ramp is still there and there is another ramp on the other side of the freeway aint there? Cost like 5 bucks to launch I think and it closesat dark. Do they still have that area to launch and park at? We would pay to park thereand walk under neath the bridge there or walk all the way down to the pipe. Man,I love these post. Thanks for bringing up them.

19. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    the mossdale ramp is still there and it is 10 to launch and open 24 hours a day.
    the ramp at the camp ground is still there but unusable also tresspassing to access and the dock is gone.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    We aways camped at the camp area that was through the trailor park. One year whenI was into my chihuahuas, I sold a boy and girl to some folks up in Reno. I never believed in shipping any of my dog/pups. So the met me at the Pet Smart past Modesto. They had reletives there. $2000 for the boy and $2800 for the girl. I was BALLING!!!!! LOl. Anyway, My family all went up to Mossdale there and camped from Friday to Sunday. I swung buy up at tracy after setting up camp and picked up Big Phil (Deltalover) and "made a few stops"....hehehehehe... And went back and fished.
    Gave the family money and they went over to a pumpkin patch thing and a maze. It was October. Fished allup down there. We crossedthe river at night and fished the pipe. Fellet shad and Jumbo minnows. Phil caught a 41' striper on jubo minnow.I got 2 (22' and 28') but what was cool, I had a pole out with some stick bait. This shit was the bomb! A guy named Otis madeit and would sell it usually out his van or at his home. He has now passed away. Caught a not of cats on that bait. I reeled in a 17 1/2 pound channel..... That was an awsome night! Fished there that weekend and family left later Sat afternoon.Then it was justme and phil Sat on........oh ya! Didn't have to catter to the kids. My kids were teens then... lol.
    They trailor park had showers. I had to walk my wife up tothe bathroom and showers a few times.Shady characters up there in the trailor park. Heck I just staped on my colt. Wore it up there.

See what yall did.... Made me ramble....lol!!!!!