california Flathead Catfish Where are they?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Jan 2, 2010.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    CALIFORNIA FLATHEADS.... WHERE ARE THEY?

I pulled these old photos from the Library..... Spots in the Imperial Valley

Different type of fishing.....Here are some of the pics.. (who are these boys?)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Ray,
    Soon - I'm going to be a posing with a "2010" California Flathead photo for ya, so I could be a part of that library. (LoL)
    :0a23:
    :wink:

3. grud

grud New Member

State:
    california
    don't have a clue ray gilmafam ! if they were in orange...i would think they were "cons" on the lose !!

my late uncle rest his sole...died in 2004 of brain cancer
    he was a member of the B.O.C. and loved the site.
    he would tell me how he would fish the california delta..being from kentucky.......like w.t.f. is the delta. ??
    so i pulled it up on the web.....the old B.O.C. and found some names that i have seen on this new B.O.C.......YOU TELL ME WHO THEY ARE ??

STEVE..... transplant from kentucky !

Attached Files:

4. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Sorry to hear about your uncle.....Some of us may have known him...

Zanzaldo Daystarchis, and ole Shania.... all old members of the BOC back before I joined in 2005....

When we speak of the Delta... we speak of the confluence of the Sacramento River from the North, and the San Joaquin from the south.

Would you believe there is over 1000 miles of waterway at the Delta.

5. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Wait until May 20th - May 23rd and I'll show you where they are at. Colorado River.....Blythe.....Palo Verde, here I come. All Flats Beware!!!!!!!

Yo Grud,
    You should come on out and give the Colorado River a shot. It may not be Kentucky, but probably the closest thing you're gonna get to it. Just gotta watch out for the sandbars. LOL

6. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Well Sean I watch how is done cause am going to get me one of those flat too

7. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Just follow me down and watch me work. Out of all of us someone should catch a nice one. Is Russ gonna come down too? I hope they bring back the winks and smily faces, these faces suck.

8. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    Ya he said he would and told him if we got room he can ride down with us
    can't wait brother :gotu:

9. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    Hey brobtjis weekend we hitting rio vista bro:Happy:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    You all will surely get some I know I will be on it in a lot of different places chasing flatheads including the imperial valley. Make sure you are dressed for the occasion and have your repellents and proper gear.

11. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Yeah man....those mosquitos can get thick. They got scorpions and snakes. So a snake bite kit would probably be good. You made a whole list of things last year. Maybe we could find the post and copy and paste it back before the gathering. I think my focus will be on the canals this year. Too much crap floatin down the river, makes it a pain in the butt to fish. Look forward to fishing with ya a night. There will be about 5 or 6 of us coming down this time. Can't wait, with all the numbers someone should get something nice.

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes May is a great time. Actually the canals start earlier than the main river as far as the bite is concerned as the water temps warm earlier in the canals. We caught flats up to 50 plus pounds last season so I see no different this season for the 2010. BTW good choice on the canals, the main river sometimes can be a pain, it can also be great as well - just depends on your experience out there. Which ever way it goes it is also a great experience fishing for flatheads.

13. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    Hey bro besides the pole u should make a list of what sizes hooks and what to were cause me and my twin never been there so it would help alot

14. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Monstercatcher.... Man you know what to wear... your Mendota wear... plan for skeeters bring some swimming shorts incase the fish go into the weeds and snags.... wrestle it out sort of....

Got to get the gill or tilapia bait and then a sliding sinker set-up or three-way slider.....

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Here is the list I posted back then about a to bring list. Others also chimed in about necessities.

B

Re: River - to bring list
    by bluehunter » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:26 pm

1. Fishing license with Colorado River stamp.
    2. Sun screen
    3. Insect repellent.
    4. Polarized glasses
    5. assortment of towels/face cloth
    6. Lots and Lots of water
    7. gatorade
    8. Extra Ice
    9. Buckets
    10. airpumps for bait - 2 of them
    11. 2 flash lights
    12. battaries
    13. stink bait
    14. hats
    15. 7/0 - 10/0 hooks, circles, kahle, and J's
    16. bluehill catching set ups - size 6 hooks, bobber, light line, mealworms, crawlers, crickets,etc. light action panfish rod.
    17. split shots
    18. at least 5 ounce or more weights.
    19. swivels.
    20. 30 - 40 pound mono line.
    21. medium and heavy action rod
    22. teekie sticks (spelling) repellent
    23. first aid kit
    24. at least 2 ice chests - food and bait
    25. shovel if using backwaters we learned. just in case
    26. glow sticks for rods at night
    27. pliers
    28. ropes for stringer of flats- not average stringer.
    29. Extra Shorts and long pants for night fishing. swimming shorts in case you want to cool off in river.
    30. extra socks.
    31. toilet paper - dont ask me how I know.
    32. band aids
    33. Fillet knife
    34. cutting knife
    35. flare gun
    36. cold cuts
    37. headlights
    38. night lights
    39.soap
    40. tooth brush and paste.

41. Gloves - helps keep mosquito bites off your hand
    42. Mosquito head shield - sold at walmart. Real cheap. They came in real handy for my son and I when the squitos were everywhere.
    43. Extra anchor ropeIf you're cool, than I'm cool, then were cool.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    A lot of us has experimented with braided line on the canal lately and the results were good if you would like to get some. 65 pound braided line was what we used. My bud Todd reeled in a 55 pounder really easy with it after this same fish snapped me off on 40 pound mono when it went into the snags. It had my hook still in its mouth.

You want the assortrement of weights to be between 5 and 8 ounces. The canal current normally is not as fast as the main river so you will generally use higher weights on the main river. Most people use no roll sinkers that can be ordered online. Some use other flat shapped sinkers or even pyramid. Carolina rigging is the most route used however some may use dropper loop style or may use a 3 way swivel rig.

The hooks I gave are mainly for using those hand size gills which is a great bait. I however found that Tilapia is favored sometimes. I guess its what is abundant at that particular time on the canal as this experience has been on the canals for me. The main river gills seem to be top notch. There are a few bait areas that have tilapia almost or at the size of a nice small to mid size gill. I would take that tilapia of same size over the gill anytime on the canal. They last longer than the gills when the bite is slow. However bait is of personal preference. I caught big fish on both of them but my biggest came on a tilapia. Its all good though because even a goldfish can get 50-60 pounders if you are on them.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  17. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    Hey thanks made a copy we have enough bro of things

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    No prob glad to be of help anytime my man.

B

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Bert and Dameoun knows where to find flatheads in Cali!

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    OK ... That's It!!!
    I know who I'm going to fishing with
    Hey B - I'll be the one that's hiding in the cut.
    :sinister:

LoL :laugh1: