California Fishermen Fight Back!

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by RobotCatfish, Jul 12, 2007.

1. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    Just in cast you havent seen this yet.....

Recreational anglers have launched a campaign to reverse water policies endangering the historic fish runs of Northern California. Visit www.water4fish.org for more information.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    although i support environmental concerns such as this, i have to ask one question.
    If they STOP the water from flowing to the farms that means less agricultural good produced there. That means less food, less work, and more dependance on the trucking industry to provide produce for that area.
    Plus the dams mean less water for drinking purposes of the HUMAN population.
    I love fish, and i have fished that river in 2004. There has to be middle ground. The worst thing to do would be to follow throught with this idea. WHY give the controll to someone more concerned with environment and fishing of the IMMEDIATE future than worrying about LONG TERM human survivalism.

3. loanguybri

loanguybri New Member

State:
    California
    Farmers are already subsidized by the government, so an economic viewpoint would be skewed at best. I am from a small logging town in Oregon(but reside in Vista, CA). We have the "spotted owl" issue up there. My town of 7,000 people and had 8 lumber mills as the main source of income. Now there are 2. All because of the spotted owl. Most and close to all people could care less about one species of the owl family since there are many different kinds of owls. However, fisheries have a lot species to look out for as they all share the waterways. Towns can adapt to new ways of making a living. I speak from experience. In no way should our precious natural resources be bargained for in exchange for a few low paying jobs. After all, there are 12-20+ million illegal aliens(and their U.S. born children) roaming the homeland, with over half living in California so that should be the real concern over the loss of jobs and resources. Add that number to how many times a toilet is flushed, gallons of gas being pumped, etc. and you can start to see the frustration of the majority of Americans, not just Californians. Supply and demand is the bottom line. If you want to continue have a quality of life your children can inherit, make a stand. Write a reply like this one. Rule: Nobody's fault but mine. Make a stand for your country, after all, a lot of service people are dead for the sacrifice they made to all of us in this country,including the right to fish.

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Remember that the dams and reservoirs in Ca. were originally built for the purpose of irrigation and to expect them not to used for that is unrealistic.
    Farms need water to grow the crops that feed and cloth us.
    I'm all for responsible water use and maintaining water flows at reasonable levels.
    But during times of drought the fisheries are going to be a secondary consideration. It's unfortunate but it's just the way it is.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yes fishermen, we need to get together and do something with this California water problem..... When you get out of town, you see a lot of signs saying "where water flows, food grows", and this is all true. Are these "American" farms that are using our water? I know for a fact that some of the water that runs back into the delta area is laden with lots of toxic stuff as the farmers use the delta water and then pump it back into the rivers. They say that the Delta Pumps that take out the water for distribution to the aquaduct at Tracy Ca. has taken a toll on the Delta Smelt, and effects the entire eco system. I have fished many lakes and resevoirs that get their water from the Delta, and I'm glad to be able to use it. The fishermen are getting the shaft here in
    California both in the ocean and on the freshwater. I have read that "they are looking into" a checking out if stocking trout is messing with the frogs and insect, and other native fish.

Nice to have political appointees running the Dept of “fish and no game”. Not that we need more government controls, but you folks need to join to control what is left already.

Bayrunner ray

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Thanks Robert",

That's some good information on my home waters :)worship: The California Delta) & I just wanted you to know that I just forward that web-site to all of the people up this way that I know fishing and camp on that Great Waterway.
    :wink:

Thanks again for the info.

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

7. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    Ok, so I got this back from the "governor"... Check out the links at the bottom of this post.

Thank you for your letter regarding fish run preservation. I appreciate hearing from constituents who are concerned about protecting California’s environment.

California is known around the world for its incredible beaches, magnificent natural parks and beautiful sky. Our state has been a leader in protecting and managing these resources for the past half century. I want you to know that I am committed to ensuring that all natural resources are protected and maintained so that Californians can continue to enjoy these treasures.

Since coming into office, I have created an ocean protection plan to protect our coastline against offshore drilling and improve the water quality of our ocean. In addition, I established the Sierra Nevada Conservancy, which is the largest conservancy in California, preserving and protecting 25 million acres in the Sierra Nevada range. To further protect California’s environment, I will continue to support the Clean Air Act to help reduce the amount of air pollution in our state. And because some of the biggest contributors to air pollution are the vehicles on the road, I created the “Breathe Easier” campaign to buy the dirtiest old cars and scrap them, allowing motorists to purchase cleaner cars instead.

Our future is in biofuels and hydrogen, not polluting petroleum fuels. That's why I created the California Hydrogen Highway, and we now have dozens of hydrogen fueling stations across the state and many hydrogen cars and buses on the road. I also have supported the development of solar and wind technologies to promote clean and safe sources of energy.

Again, thank you for writing to me. It is heartening to know that Californians care about the future of our Golden State.

Sincerely,
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

It really doesnt say that he has done ANYTHING about the fish runs, but what I CAN say, is that I saw something on the news this morning... It looks like they want to do something, it's just a matter if it will really happen. Politicians always have their way of diverting funds to other "projects" or "political uses".

Truely stunning facts were - Eighty percent of the state’s commercial fish species live in or migrate through the Delta. It is home to more than 700 plant and animal species, and several threatened or endangered species.

The Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta provides water for 25 million Californians — including 60% of Southern California's supply — and supports $400 billion of economic activity, including fishing and farming. And is only growing

Check out these links...

http://gov.ca.gov/issue/water/
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1867038/posts

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    What did you expect from someone that has continually tried to throw the sportsman under the bus?
    Look closely at the programs he touts, they are all from the Sierra Club, an organization that is strictly opposed to consumptive conservation and has ties to such terrorist organizations a E.L.F.
    He's deep in the pocket of the bunny and tree huggers. Look at his recent appointments to the F&G commission.
    You ever see a picture of him with a gun in his hand that wasn't related to one of his movies? How about a fishing pole?
    But you do see pictures of him out skiing and Hiking.

9. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    thanks for being a fighter