California Catfisherman New to the Site and has Questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by curtis, Apr 22, 2006.

1. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    i am going to the river with my girlfriend and some friends. this is going to be my second trip, with my first trip resulting in only one cat. it was big about eleven pounds. i would like to catch more. what i used was braided line with a heavy sinker on sort of a drop shot rig with a huge worm. i wanted it to stay in one place so that if a cat was coasting he would see it and eat it. this time i want more results!!!!! does anyone have any suggestions on this? i heard from a friend that chicken liver works very well, but what set up do i use? please respond i would appreciate it. thanks all.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC, Curtis!!!

Try what they eat in they're enviroment(Shad or Skipjack) the rig you are using should be fine in some areas.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    If I were you I would use some freash cut bait like shad or blue gill.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Hey Curtis welcome to the BOC. Where abouts are you fishing at? liver mackeral anchovies clams all work decent around my neck of the woods.

5. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    yeah where i am fishing is right near yuma, its about five to ten minutes from martinez lake. its an offshoot from the river. all the locals say its the best fishing around. its a community of trailer type houses on the river. right after the palm tree growers area.i like the idea of live bait but i have used that type like blue gill at havasue and caught only one as well. i heard chicken liver and would like to know what rig to use in conjunction. good ideas guys and thank you for the welcome

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Ahh ok Well I cant tell you or even advise you on what works down that way since I am a mile or two from you :p

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Welcome aboard all the info you need is here

8. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i think that chicken livers work well for channel cats but thats just from my experince.welcome to the boc!!!

9. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. I am not from your area but chicken livers have worked good for me with smaller chanels. I use a treble hook and just rap it around. Cut the liver in links don't tare it.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    ":0a25: to the B.O.C. Curtis"

Like Mutt - I'm also from California. Live or Cut Bait works for Channels at this time of the year. The Chicken Liver will work for the Channels also, but you may want to rap it on with thread and use a treble hook, and remember to cut your strips, don't rip them. :)

In the summer time, try using some Dip-Bait.
    :0a26:
    :0a23:
    Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

11. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Curtis, welcome to the BOC. I agree with these guys, wrap chicken liver around treble hook. I some times use a small piece of pantyhose to wrap around the liver. It helps to keep the liver on your hook. Good luck.

12. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    yeah i am going to the colorado river and i think i am going to use all techniques that were mentioned. i already figured those options and all work very well. well thanks to all for the welcome!

13. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Welcome from New York Curtis. :)

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Curtis, welcome to the BOC. As said before, try using fresh cut bait.

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    welcome to the BOC,i would agree with the others and see what kind of bait fish are in the waters your fishing and use them,cutbait or small live bait would be my first choice

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Curtis.

17. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Curtis! Chicken liver is great bait for channels. Wrap it with "magic thread" or "miricle thread". As Bert said, dip baits work great after it warms up! Of course southern Calif is probably getting a bit warm already! If your going to the colorado river, get gold fish for the flatheads!

18. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    gold fish? isnt that elegal? it sounds great i have heard they work well for any species but i am not sure if it is too legal.

19. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Curits,

Phil (Deltalover) & I just came from the Colorado River Gathering earelier this month, and they use Gold Fish for the Flatheads down there, and yes it leagle, down there at least! :)
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

20. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    curtis welcome to the BOC as burt and phil said the goldfish are all good on the colorado river, try to the biggest you can get, if ya got time catch you some tallapia , blue gill, or some small carp for the best live bait for some 60lb flatheads, for the channels get some uncooked frozen shrimp from the store and put it on a 5/0 bait holder hook always been my favorite down there also get some hog wild super sticky blood dip bait and some hog wild bait dipper catfish worms for holden the worms you can get the stuff from wal-mart. curtis make sure you have the colorado river stamp and you can use 2 rods if you get you a 2 pole stamp

curtis what part of CA you from? do most all my catfishing on the colorado river near blythe, im down there 2 or 3 times a month, just got back this afternoon after the weekend fishing,

Hey Burt and Phill was out fishen yesterday morning at dawn and fishen were bill got the big channel when a boat came from up river and stoped by to show his catch of the nite, a 45lb+ flathead, said he got it near the cable car. man I had plans of going out that nite but the damn wind came up big time and said no way was i going out:crying: