California Aqauduct takes another one

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by vini, Apr 15, 2007.

1. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    42 year old man out fishing with his father drowned.

Thats number 63 people since 2001 becareful if you fish in the Duct.

Cuase of death should be in next week on the Two DWR divers who died at the aqueduct in February during a routine inspection at the Dos Amigo Pumping Plant.

Safety tips for fishing in the aqueduct

• Know where the safety ladders and safety lines are located. The ladders are on both sides of the aqueduct, spaced 500 feet apart and marked by bright yellow paint. Safety lines are strung on plastic floats, close to bridges and other structures that cross the aqueduct.

• Wear a life jacket or preserver. Children especially should wear life preservers at all times -- and should never play near the aqueduct.

• Observe all posted warning signs, do not climb over fences or fish from bridges.

• Stand back from the concrete sides of the aqueduct.

• Wear rubber-soled shoes for safe footing.

• Never go into the water to land a fish, recover fishing gear, or any other reason.

IF YOU FALL INTO THE WATER:

• Stay calm. Look for the nearest downstream ladder or float line. Swim or float to the ladder to climb out, or grab the line and pull yourself to the bank.

• If you are unable to immediately locate a safety ladder or line, relax your body. Let the back of your head and your shoulders come to the surface. Pull your knees tightly into your chest and tread water with your arms. Raise your face out of the water every five to 10 seconds and take a deep breath. Repeat the breathing as you continue to tread water with y0our knees up.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We lost a young teenage boy who went to Church where we attended from drowning in the AquaDuct. It's a great place to fish, but you really have to be cautious. Reps to ya for a great warning post!:smile2:

3. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Good post Vini. I am drawing a blank on how a aquaduct looks like. Is it connected to river?

Jaime

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I shall attemp to explain: My husband and I use to live in Los Angeles County. It is very dry out there in the summer. They pipe water down from a lake in Bishop California or at least this is what my husband was told.The Aquaduct is cement Canals with steep sides. Now these canals will run into a lake and form the lake and then become another Aquaduct on the otherside. They have some nice Channel Cats in them and Stripers but there are warning signs up all over the place about how dangerous the place can be. My husband and I use to fish them all the time but our girls were babies ,so they always went to the babysitter. Hopefully I was able to answer your question. Thank you for asking!:big_smile:

5. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Similar to this.

Steep sides, if you fall in you are in big trouble.

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks Pat and Steve. You explained it perfectly Pat. With the picture that steve posted, I can see how even an acomplish swimer can drown.
    If I ever figure out how to give rep points I will be sure to send them.
    Thanks again!

Jaime

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA

You just click the little blue box with the check and plus signs in it. It will be in the right hand corner of the post.

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks JIm, was able to give Steve a rep point but was not able to give Pat a rep.

Jaime

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Any time Jaime any time.

10. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I started to go down the bank for a catfish once a big one and decidedagainst it cause there was sand blown all down the cement bank and I immediaely started slipping, even holding onto the side of that bridge I wouldn't do it so just cut the line.

Now when I go out there I have an extention pole that extends about 20 feet and I tape with duct tape the net to it so it can be exteneded out, all it takes is a slip and you may end up going right down the bank and into the water , i'm a real good swimmer but all it takes is one big accidental GULP of water and your going down, once your lungs fill with water forget swimming back up to the surface your body turns into lead weight it's happened to me once and i was saved by a life gaurd and thats a terribly painful way to die, drowning.

11. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    There are places along the 'duct down around Palmdale where the bank appears to be less steep but I don't think I would trust it not to be slippery.
    Always use caution around any canal you are fishing and take a long handle net so you don't have to risk your life.

12. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Good post Vinni.
    I fish the the Aqueduct all the time,and usually have to fish by my self. but I make sure whear I fish that the cement bank has not got gravel are sand washed down on it from the rains and I wear good rubber sole shoes . One thing that causes most of the drownings in the aqueduct and the kern river that you forgot to mention, is the sauce that they consume while fishing. The kern river is much more dangerous then the Aqueduct. but they can both get you if you are drinking. I see people swimming in the Auqeduct all the time in summer. That's just a pure case of stupidity and an accident waiting to happen.

13. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Hey Phil, good to see a post from you. You checking the bite in the duct?
    There is a guy on one of the other fishing boards that lives in Palmdale and he posts pictures of stripers that he is catching almost every day.
    That section of the Duct is only a 45 minute drive for me but I haven't caught any fish in three tries there.
    He tells me to give him a call and he'll show me how it's done so maybe Ill do that if the weather looks good this upcoming week.

14. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Philip you know how the song goes " i'll never swim kern river again" .

I lived in Bakersfield in 80'-81' fished the river never seen a catfish jump out of the water like a kern river cat almost like a trout, also water skied from a rope off the bank in the kern that current is STRONG .

The canal has big fish I have no doubt about that lost a big one one night when me and Robb were fishing, we've caught a few other nice fish in there too.