Calif Salmon Fishery

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Deltalover, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    More bad new! There is a good chance that the Salmon fishery will be closed for the entire year, from Monterey to the oregon border! It is expected to have a devestating affect on sportsmen, restrurants, charter boats, guides and many others that depend on the salmon fishery and tourism trade!
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/03/03/MNG1IHHVKC1.DTL

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well aint that just wondrfull. I guess the wife may not get her big salmon this year. The way cali is going more and more i am about ready to consider moving. thanks for the heads up Phil.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    It just kills me when a fish, (of any kind), gets harder to catch, The people that make the laws & don't know anything about sportfishing or CPR, think that there not there any more and change the fishing laws for the worst.
    "There all need to wake-up:eek:" and see the there are taking all of the good times away from all of the real sportfishermen out there. :mad:
    & What about the little-ones coming up in this world today.:confused:

"Some people should Stop Playing God" and just let us have some R & R after a hard week of work.:mad:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    And i heard the salmon fishing was good this year :confused:

Neatest thing i've ever done is lay down on a rock bank and watch salmon swim up the shallow rapids to there spawning place, of course they can't get anywhere near Yosemite anymore but they were damn sure trying, they used to come right thru the big creek in Merced not sure they do anymore.

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Sounds to me like something more needs to be done with the Klamath river

6. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    Wasn't there issues years ago regarding the Klamath whereas farmers where upset about not getting enough water for their crops and Klamath river preservationists and people who relied on the Klamath where complaining that the same water was needed to keep the fish population alive in the Klamath. Is that still going on? Water levels still low in the Klamath

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The Fisheries Service is guilty of using junk science to advance a political agenda. Our rivers and streams are teeming with salmon, yet farmers have been pushed into bankruptcy, businesses are closing, and a way of life is being destroyed while government officials explain away listing fish that really aren’t endangered at all.”

The Klamath is indeed “teeming” with fish now - dead chinook and coho salmon, steelhead and suckers! And the “way of life” that is being destroyed is that of the Yurok and Hupa tribes, sportfishing guides, commercial fishermen, charter boats and all of the North Coast businesses that depend upon Klamath River salmon for their survival.

Recreational anglers and members of the Yurok and Hupa tribes were at press time recovering from the shock of the fish kill. It is clear that the tribes, recreational anglers, commercial fishermen and environmental activists must unite and massively protest the Bush administration’s favoring of unsustainable, subsidized welfare farmers in the Klamath Basin at the expense of everybody else. All of those impacted by this catastrophe should be compensated in full by the federal government, since it is the U.S. Department of Interior that is responsible for the deaths of thousands and thousands of salmon on the Klamath River.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Press Release

March 31, 2006 For Immediate Release.

The Coastside Fishing Club, Northern California’s largest saltwater fishing organization with over 12,000 members, will hold a rally and press conference in Sacramento on Tuesday April 4th, 2006 to address the proposed salmon fishing closure off California. Being held to coincide with the Pacific Fishery Management Council's consideration of this issue, Coastside will discuss the facts of the health of the river and explain why a closure will not solve the problem.

"We just want to shine the light of truth on this situation and hold off what will be an economic disaster," said Bob Franko, Founder of Coastside. "The truth is that there are 55,000 spawners returning to the river of which 32,000 will be natural spawners, the tenth highest return in 25 years. Past history shows that the river can reproduce a healthy run of salmon on as few as 12,000 spawners. This is not a dwindling resource as some have said, it is a healthy return to a very sick river."

NOAA Fisheries says that just the recreational fishery for salmon in California has an economic impact of $671 million. Boat operators, bait shops retailers and tackle manufacturers will incur substantial losses on an already hard hit industry. To cancel the salmon season is an economic disaster and is not justified by the facts. The facts are that the river has parasites and insufficient flows for returning salmon and this is a direct result of the administration's water policies which are degrading the river habitat and lowering the river's carrying capacity. Coastside believes that this closure is a clear attempt to shift the blame for reduced habitat from poor water management by claiming that there is an over fishing problem which does not exist. The rally will be in support of the PFMC's Option 1, believing that anything short of the season that was set for 2005 will be a disaster for the recreational fishing community.

The actual salmon stocks on the ocean are at some of the highest levels that they have been in history. Solid hatchery programs and current regulatory applications have been extremely successful in building a solid fishery for both sport and commercial participation.

Here is the information on the rally.
    Tuesday, April 4th, from 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM
    Farallon Boat Facility
    3121 Evergreen Street
    West Sacramento, CA 95691

Speakers will include some of the largest retailers and manufactures in the area. Ken Elie, owner Outdoor Pro Shops in Oakland and Rohnert Park, Jonah Li, owner Hi’s Tackle Box in San Francisco, Glenn Fukumoto, manager Fisherman’s Warehouse in San Jose, Joe Carter, President of Farallon Boats, Chris Hall Coastside president, and Bob Franko Coastside founder and chairman

At the conclusion of the rally, we will then move to the Doubletree Hotel, (2001 Point West Way, Sacramento CA 95815) to offer public testimony to the PFMC on the proposed salmon management plan.

For information please contact
    Chris Hall
    President of Coastside Fishing Club
    (209) 613-6050

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I was planning on making a salmon trip run this summer for the first time. Sucks that they are closing it off of the coast.

Phil is this closure going to affect the Sacremento River as well? That was one of my destinations for the summer.

10. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Sacramento river fishing is still open if I heard it correctly. Only going to effect the coast and the Klammath river should be a real good run if they ain't picking them off at the coast. I'm going to start at the GG bridge and work my way into the delta following these guys. They usually pile up in benicia for a while in the brackish waters