Calculating To Day

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I have been doing a little calculating today.

I wanted to figure out how much line would be recovered with one 360 degree of rotation of the reel handle.
    I figured this from the ratio of my Ambassadeur 6500-c4 and my 6000 Amb.

1 The Abu 6500 - C4 has a { 6.3 to 1 ratio }I measured the full spool diameter it was 1 5/16 diameter or decimal eqilavent is 1.312 .
    To find how much line is recovered in on full turn of the handle 360 degrees.

2 Take 1.312 x pie 3.14159 = 4.122 or 4 1/8 inches which is the circumference of the spool

3 Take 4.122 x 6.3 = 25.987 inches almost 26 inches per 360 degrees of rotation .

For my 6000 Abu it's a little less.It was 21.846 inches all most 21 7/8 inches for each turn of the handle.

That's a lot of line to recover in one crank of the handle.
    When you cast the reel it spool diameter decreases .
    Then you start to retrieve the line and the spool diameter grows thus the line is recovered faster.
    There are other factors that may change these calculations.If you have any please post them.

I think this could cause some fish to be lost from pulling the hook thru it mouth.Check out the pics.

:look_down:

:cat:

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    way over my head on the retrive speed but I guess it is good info for some Rep points for posting it.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ace,I think you need to go fishing buddy!!!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Most ABU reels will give you the retrieval rate per full turn of the handle. But thanks for the post.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Makes sense, just measure the diameter when full and you will get a good idea on how much a full spool will recover.

Aaron

TA2D

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Way over my head pie r square and all. corn bread r square, pie r round. Momma told me that.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We must have gone to the same school. I looked it up.I couldn;t figure it.He is right.They average it at 25 inches.Good lesson here.You set your full spool drag at 33% of your line weight,and it will steady get tighter as the line runs off your spool.You get down near the last on a large spool and you can get over the line and reel max.POP,there goes your fish.Peewee-williams

8. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ace, what kind of wax are you useing on your reels? those reels are too clean man, wheres all the shad scales? You need to borrow some of my reels a while...........steve

9. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Brother you would not take a picture of your car and it dirty?