Calaveras this weekend

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dominoman, Jan 16, 2008.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Think about trying some new water. Got a long weekend, looking for some advice on Calaveras. Never been to the lake, just looking for some hints, probably be there on Sunday. Any help is appreciated.

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    the railroad bridge and the 181 cove directly across from the ramp are always good. there's also some big fresh water redfish between the crappie wall & the dam if ur into that!!!But then again u cant go wrong w/danny king's puinchbait in 3 to 7 ft of water just about anywhere along the banks ether..Good luck, just dont expect any giants, my buddy has the lake record blue & it's only 31 lbs!!! Although he did find a massive flat head floating dead about a few months ago, so they are in there as well, prob came from the creek area!!!

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Thanks willcat, are the lake maps they give out decent, or do I need to hunt one down. Probably need a trip to Cabela's just to make sure. Looking mainly for channels, blues or flats. Was doing some cat huntin' on Bastrop 2 weeks ago, only boated one largemouth green carp, went 5-1, but was 1/2" short of being a keeper.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    the maps @ wally world are pretty good just as well as cabela's. I bought the book that has all texas lakes & coastline in it it's pretty good too!!!! U cant beat that lake or braunig for that matter for good eatin channels & blues. U can use the entrance receipt for both of them so u dont get charged twice!!!

5. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Again, thanks, are you drifting or anchored

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    have not tried drifting, i'm anchored in a 21ft toon, just moving to diff spots---although the bigger reds are caught w/downriggers or trolling spoons about 25ft i think!!! never really seen ne body drifting for cats, but then again i dont get out there during the week either so i dont really know....

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I'm sure cliff can tell u a whole lot more than i can as he practically lives on this lake lol!!!!

8. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Calaveres' maps are ok, although not too detailed. As for Braunig, they don't give out the maps like Cali anymore they have this map that looks like a place setting.lol Do what I did and google it and go into images, you can get a topo map thats fairly good and are free too. They also have sat maps so you can kindda compare the topo and it by switching them </>. Hope this helps and BTW welcome to the BOC too.

Rubes

9. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    A good Map is hard to find..if you try Google Earth you can get a better idea of the lake...just enter the zip code for the area....
    I like to fish main lake points and laid down structure most of the time with Danny Kings.
    Drifting does produce out there and now is the time of year to do it.
    Shad can be easily found at the small point right after you launch or at the crappie wall.
    Drifting shad or tilapia is a good bet to get a mixed bag of reds and cats.
    It's a smaller lake so drifting could cover alot of water.

The bridge like WIll says always generally has fish and some larger ones as well.
    The discharge has fish on it this time of year but smaller fish are abudant (12-14 inches) which is best for the table IMHO.
    SLip bobberin or carloina rig is way to go fishin punch bait.
    Hope this helps and good luck!
    CLiff

10. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I appreciate all the advice from you folks that fish it regular. Still planning on a Sunday trip, G/F don't do real well in adverse weather, so I might be by myself. Found a fair topo and just marked some landmarks on it. Keep hearing a spot referred to a Crappie wall. Is this the area near the discharge? Did get my HB 565 back from warranty work yesterday, so we'll give it another chance.

11. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    It's directly west of the boat launches....you can't miss it. You'lll see a 100 yard or so section of a cement wall with people standing on it. This time of year it ain't bad but come spring/summer....that wall looks more like a parking lot. Be careful when tied up to it if there's a strong SSE wind...can mess a boat up banging against the wall and I have seen two that got swamped since I've been fishing there....there's always fish near the wall...guess it's a catch 22. Really it's not as bad as I make it sound, I just laugh casue it seems to be the one place everyone bolts for when the park opens
    Good Luck !

12. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Good morning folks, pretty darn cold out huh? was thinking about doing some bank fishing today but my body told me otherwise lol.
    Dominoman, I kept thinking about the maps for around here and remembered this site: http://terraserver-usa.com type in Elmendorf,Tx
    you'll see a good b/w pic from 1995 and topo's from 1983.

Rubes

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Great post, thanks ruben that is an ok map there

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I think I'll just hit up Cally Sat. instead of the 99 bridge, hey Cliff any good spots to go try since it;s a bit cold??? Do u think they are gonna be deeper than normal???? Btw the chicken scratch worked @ the bridge that day, when we cleaned those fish that night they were full of it!!!!

15. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Will, they might be. Not sure was hoping to be out there today but client cancelled with the weather...I'm guessing they might be a tad deeper tommorow. Bridge is a safe bet and so is the discharge. Just depends on what you like. I got a tag boat and 8 little boys tommorow morning then a group of adults in the afternoon. I imagine in the morning, I'll hit up a hole or two and chum it out for the boys , even if theyre little ones the kiddos like the action. Might throw out a few jugs as well to hit between spots...we'll see. Winds should be outta the N..to NE tommorow upt 11 mph. Not bad and just enough chop on the water for me. Hopefully, this cold front didn't give them lock jaw...if so I'll have to throw and little enticer into the water that's all soured up...lol
    Good Luck and I'll probally run into ya out there tommorow onour 3500 acre pond..lol
    Cliff

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks buddy, i'll be out there tomorrow hopefully all day if we can tolerate it!!!! maybe i'll see u out there!! we might have to chum it up too!! i think i'll try the jugs pretty deep & see what happens, who knows........

17. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Forecast seems to be good for this weekend, barring anything unforeseen, I'll be down there Saturday. Hope to see some of ya out there hauling in the big fish.

18. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Sounds good D.Man. TOday would have been awesome fishin'..light north wind and over cast...they would have jumped in the boat. Might head out there in a bit. Torn between it and scouting for the white bass run on the guadalupe river.
    Decisions..

19. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    HCF, doing some trailer upkeep today, replacing the bearings and doing some other little stuff. Other wise I'd probably be out there. Well in the morning is just gonna have to do.

20. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    I hear ya. I ended up staying at the house as well, making stagins and doing some honey do's. I'll be out tommorow. LArge aluminum tank. Also known as a alumacraft...lol.. Seriously, holler if ya see me and we can swap lies. I should have three boys and their dad.
    Tight Lines
    Cliff