Calaveras May 07

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by hillcountryfishin, May 23, 2007.

1. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Well , were still finding the fish shallow on wind blown points and near submerged timber but they are starting to migrate to deeper water as the temps rise.
    High water temp for us has been 90..yes 90 degrees. With the average being in the mid 80's.
    Strong SSE winds allows for the shallow bite to happen, but little to no wind requires some looking on the ol fish finder for them holes and ledges.
    It's been good fishing and hope everyone is getting their fill of kitties.
    boc.jpg

boc2.jpg

boc3.jpg

Been catching all our fishing using Danny Kings Blood

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Always great to hear your reports ,thx for sharing.

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Hey, great catches. I may be wrong, but I think the temp on your sonar is messed up. I live 250 miles west and we haven't even had a 90 degree day yet. Our water is unusually cool for this time of year, in the low 70"s and high 60"s. Just think it would be worth double checking.

Jim

4. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Jim,
    He's fishing a power plant cooling lake which may explain the temp.

Ruben

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    where do u buy the danny king's blood?????

6. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Willcat,
    You can get the blood version of the bait at www.dannykings.com
    I think Cliff is selling the bait as well down in his neck of the woods.

7. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Ruben, I pm'ed ya back:big_smile:.
    I agree about the temp, when I first started fishing the lake I had to do a double take when summer rolled around but Ruben is right; it's a power plant lake and the temps will be at or near 100 on the east side of the lake in mid summer. It's astonishing but a great fishery none the less.
    Choke Canyon has been on fire as of late as well for those wanting to hit up some new water. We've been doing exceptionally well down there and the scenery makes the trip even better.
    Thanks Bobby and you can order DK's through their site, great bait and fast on shipping.
    It's been a good month and hopefully the shallow bite will continue in the late evening's and early morning's. I love catching them shallow, it's so much fun when they get hooked up.
    We did real well fishing shallow wendesday with lighted bobbers in 2 ft of water using Dk's.
    If you've never tried fishing at night with a glowing bobber, your missing out on some fun times for any age.
    I'll try and post some pics, it's simple , easy , cheap and no need to buy a 5 $ lighted bobber, it can be done for alot less and have the same effects.
    Tight lines gents !

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    hey cliff, any good spots on choke you can refer me to??? we usually dock off @ the southshore unit but any help would be gratefully appreciated!!!! thanks

9. HappyDudeSr

HappyDudeSr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Willcat,
    I haven't had the chance to go to Choke this year yet. However, last year in early June my buddy and I caught some good cats (blues and yellows) in the river portion (west of FM 99). We fished the log jams and stump beds, the depth we were finding them in was right around 10 feet. This info may be a little too dated to be useful, and a bit of a run from the south shore unit.

10. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Willcat
    We came home about May 1 so things may have changed. There is an old roadbed that runs from the south shore unit to the Calliham area. Where this crosses the first cove on the south shore west of the launch ramp it is easy to find with the depthfinder. That cove has an old tank dam across it a little further toward the south. Blues will hold on the edges of these where the depth starts falling off. The points where the water is coming up on the grass was also good. We fished Four Fingers when the wind was out of the north. I have not been able to do any good over there but I have two neighbors that sack them up over there. If the Comorants are still there the brush around where they roost is usually good. One day we were coming from toward the Prison toward the south shore ramp along the deep water, the wife got a cell phone call so I slowed down for her to talk. Saw lots of fish on the sonar in 45' water so we just started fishing when she go off the phone. Started catching 3 1/2 lb Blues.

Hope this helps.

I also check the cleaning tables and ask what depth water they had their best luck in. When their biting in the 3 ft water around the bank that is the place to be. Fishing the deeper water is not going to yield much other than the little ones .

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    hey thanks for the info bigun i'll try that this weekend!!!!

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    hey thanks for the info happydudesr, i was there about 2 weeks ago at night but it was real windy--mostly people w/juglines & that big gator!!

13. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Willcat, Bigun's right on.
    Been a week since we were last down there and they were biting shallow and deep.
    3 ft was the key in the AM then moved out deeper after a strom and the sun poked through.
    We fished DK's on a # 6 hook, mostly box fish 1-5pds.
    Beautiful fishery down there, hoping to head back real soon.