Calaveras Feb-Mar..good fishing

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by hillcountryfishin, Mar 20, 2007.

1. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I've been fortunate the past two months putting great people on alot of fish the past two months and don't see it slowing down any time soon.
    All our fish are coming from 1-5 ft deep fishing Danny King's Blood under a 3 inch slip bobber.
    Febuary was killer fishing bird roosts and now the spawn has moved into full swing on cally because of it's water temp, it kinda fast forwrds the spawn compared to most lakes.
    Best trip to me was being able to take my dad this past saturday and catch 75 fish up to 6.0 lbs in 4 hrs. It's been too long since we could both go.It was non stop action and averaged about 3 pds per fish. Good numbers and quality day.

I hope everyone is doing well and fishing should continue to be greta for a couple of months till the dog days of summer set in.
    Good Luck!

Attached Files:

2. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Calaveras3 005.jpg

Calaveras3 042.jpg

Calaveras3 056.jpg

Here's some pics. My favorite is the girls. They were a blast and only wanted to keep boy fish..no girls..lol\
    Talk about a fun day.
    Enjoy and hope to see ya on the water soon!

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Looks like you are wearing them out.Way to go.Whats the water temp ?

4. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    the temp has been right about 71 -75 , most days with a couple around days in high 70's. right now seems to be hoovering around the low 70's.
    I was fortunate enough to Luke Clayton several times about fishing cally this month. It should be archived on catfish radio.com , got another segment coming up on the 24th. I try to explain how we've been catching them.
    Thanks and good luck

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I have been hitting Calaveras the last couple of weeks. I have been fishing entirely from shore, but have pulled 38 channels, 2 blues, and a big Telapia in two trips. Cats are definately there and biting.

Nice pics.

6. birchburlbill

birchburlbill New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been fishing Calaveras for a number of years, but don't have too much luck fishing from shore. And since I don't have a boat, would you be willing to suggest a good spot to toss out some lines? On weekends that place gets crammed full of people, and it seems that some of the better spots are probably taken. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to this BOC, and love fishing for cats.

7. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I always try to get there early, before those good spots are taken.

8. Coldave

Coldave New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been three times and totally skunked, could someone share the deep knowledge of "the good spots"?

9. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    sorry for the delay gents, been fishing my tail off lately during the spawn.
    If you have a boat and want to catch fish period, fish the bridge.
    Take off straight across from the shallow water ramp and head straight.
    You can fish either side and use some range cubes to chum it up with (only a handful or two) for channels.
    I use DK's when fishing for channels and it's plum lights out fishing.
    I use a slip bobber and liek to fish it that way.
    Also right now the past three weeks we have not been fishing any water over two ft deep.
    It's spawn time and those kitties are in shallow feeding on shad and laying eggs.
    Ended up with 50 yesterday before this front hit.
    Nothing big (5.5pds) but lots of good box fish. Plus I love catching them shallow and see them jump outta the water on light tackle. It's a hoot.

As far as bank fishing....all the way to the left as you enter the park by thdam offers reds,cats,striper.
    Also try the pwoerline area to the right about a mile down.
    I always see people 'catching there"
    I fish 6 ft or less much of the year but right now shallow is where the fish are at. See alot of people anchored up deep with out much at the table. Spring fishing is pretty awesome, my favorite time of year
    If I can help in any way let me know gents

10. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx a lot for sharing tips it really helps alot .

11. Coldave

Coldave New Member

State:
    Texas
    E-mail me and lets get together, I have a son I want take with me.

12. Coldave

Coldave New Member

State:
    Texas
    PM me, I still want to fish with you.

13. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Dave..sorry for the delay. I've been busy fishing..lol. Fishing is still good and alive.
    I pm'ed back Dave.
    Thanks Gents and what fun is all of this if you can't share the knlwedge with others. I really enjoy seeing people having success and fun while fishing.it's why we all chase ol Mr.Whiskers