Calaveras/Braunig August

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by hillcountryfishin, Aug 10, 2007.

1. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Been fishing both lakes since the start of the month and doing well on each.
    Braunig has been generous at night with quality fish up to 6.5 pds and Calaveras has been steady with size and numbers evening and day trips.
    Below is pics from Calaveras
    Father son Gene & Chris Cost San MArcos Tx with 50 fish
    ChrisGeneCalaverasAugust.jpg

Lopez group with 75 fryers!
    GeorgeJulioJaimie75fish.jpg

James & Kevin's morning catch of 43
    James & Kevin 43 fish.jpg

2. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Braunig--- Has been giving some nice fish lately .
    Chuck & Tommie with 33 last wednesday and 24 fat ol channels last night.
    What ever this lake lakes in #'s it always has in size of channel cats.

ChuckTom33BraunigAugust.jpg

ChucktomBraunig.jpg

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    nice lookin fish there buddy, gonna try & hit up calaveras this weekend myself later!

4. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Friday Satruday & Sun day report for calaveras
    Slow & Hot
    Fished friday evening with it being the best with around 30 fish kept
    Satruday morning had 25 by noon then it got too hot
    Sunday was roughest outing to date with 7 fish in 5 hrs.
    Overall a hot weekend with water temps in the high 90's making the fish very lethargic.
    Evening's is the way to go or early ealry morning and fishin no later than 11.
    Fished shallow and up to 33 foot deep using punchbait, perch and tilapia.
    Side note- saw very little caught this weekend and most boats just kept driving past the cleaning tables.
    About 3-4 weeks hopefully the cooler temps shoudl be here. God willing it will be a short summer of Dog days

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks for the reports buddy!!!!!

6. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Fished Braunig last night with a good friend Eric Sadler.
    Fishing was exceptional with 50 fish and Eric's new best channel cat at 7.5 lbs.
    Fish were taking the bait very aggresive and caught me snoozing at one point then tried to yank my arm off..:smile2:
    Honestly, it's been really good fishin at night. We ended up wtih 50 fish and filled my 120 quart cooler dang near to the brim. 7 Gallons of fat fillets for Eric to take back home.

Toad2.jpg

Cooler 50.jpg

Ericfish2.jpg

7. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Couple more "toad channel cats" Eric got last night and Of course I catch all the dinks
    Ericanothergoodun.jpg

Menigthfish.jpg

Eric6.5lber.jpg

Guess a report would help my fellow kitty chasers..
    Fished 5-7 ft ledges near shallow areas using Danny Kings Blood under a lighted bobber

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    nice looking catch there brother thanks for the reports

9. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Cliff,
    Congrats on the heavy box. You're on fire as usual. Keep it up.

10. Roy J Lorenz

Roy J Lorenz New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for the advice cliff hoping the weather breaks gonna try your advice this sunday if possible. keep up the good work.thanks bigjoe

11. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Fished from 7-1130. Ended with 29 up 5.5pds and Justin's new PB for catfish @ 4.04 lbs. Fished shallow with Danny King's.
    Windy evening kept the bugs off and fish biting. Once the wind died the bite slowed up.
    Back from vacation up north, it was good to get on the water and get "whiskered up" again. Fun evening on the water seeing them glowing bobbers go down and hear the "thrashing".
    Good times & good people
    Dr.Berryfish.jpg

Dr.ChildressFish.jpg

Justinsfish.jpg

12. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Tom Dewey wanted to go on a quick night trip, thought about it and told him give me an hr and I'll be there. Got on the water about 730 and fished till 12 or so. Soon as we got on the water found the Hybrids schooling like crazy on top. Threw on some rattle traps and commenced to catching hybrid after hybrid for about 30 minutes, keeping two at 22 inches and change and tons of 17 5/8'..lol.:smile2:
    With the scaled fish outta they way, Tommie set his sights on some Kitties. Ended up catching 25 fish limit and Mr. Dewey's new P.B. @ 7.02 oz Channel Cat little over 27 inches. Beautiful channel. Not some big headed small bodied fish, just really pretty all the way through and a drag stripping fool.
    Tom and Chuck been fishing with me for along time and this was probally one of the top trips we've had. Just quality fish after quality fish, schooling hyrbids, and the moon bouncing off the water all night. It was one for the books.
    Thanks Tommie for getting me to go out!
    Tommie7pder.jpg

tom25.jpg

Braunig034.jpg

13. Roy J Lorenz

Roy J Lorenz New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good job cliff. one of these days I'll get back out there. till then I'm enjoying your posts. Bigjoe!

14. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Big joe, you better hurry up...it's hot and not just the air temp either:smile2:.

Seriously, fished this weekend and had a great time.
    First night Chuck & Mark caught 50 fish pretty darn fast, waited out a storm and got on the water around 7pm fishing till 1130pm. Alot good fish, with the biggest going 6.5 lbs. Lotta fun on light tackle.
    Pics
    MarkChuck50 Braunig.jpg
    Braunig 038.jpg

I camped out and sunday morning had Marty Garcia come out and fish a morning bite. We did pretty good till the sun got up and pushed the fish deep and made em' lazy at that. Ended the morning with 19 fish and alot of good eatin'.
    MartyGarcia.jpg

All fish on Danny King's blood , fishing shallow as I hardheadly love to do.

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i was there myself sat night it was hard to find them i ended up w / only 7 good size keepers but fun nonetheless on dk's also shallow w lighted bobbers

16. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Wilcat, that's a good outing brother!
    You see a big 20 ft Army green Center Console with Danny Kings stickers and Catfish Gold on the side..you holler or pull up! Ya hear?

Seriously, it was pretty night. I slept in the boat near the dam overnight,I got some more scouting I wanna do out there soon. School and work permitting of course.
    Tight lines bud
    Cliff

17. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    More nights--more fishin to be done!
    Things started kinda slow with about 9 fish in the box, then we spotted some hybrids bustin' the surface; pulled up anchor and worked the school for about 20 mintues catching 11 hybrids, with 4 being keepers. I wish I would have caught a pic fighting them on the Zebco 33, she was screaming and laughing....seemed like every cast she was hooked up. With the schooling over, we set out sights back on kitties and ended up with 28 channels for the evening up to 5.5 pds and 4 hybrids going to 23 inches.
    Fished from 630-1030pm
    Nothing new- Danny Kings fishin' shallow & Hybrids on rattle traps and top waters

KezJoannaBraunig.jpg

Last night more of the same but the Hyrids were exploding on top in open water..they had the water boiling. 19 channels and 7 keeper hybrids outta 20 or so caught. Had those zebco 33' singing when the hybrids would hit.
    Lotta fun!
    Be careful on the water this weekend brothers!

JohnRicardo.jpg

18. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Went out w/my buddy james last night. We were targeting bigger fish,(i asy bigger meaning more than the 1 to 5lbers we catch out of this lake) so we went all over the lake in search of them, and needless to say found 3 good ones to take home & plenty of "fryers" that we threw back. Fished the north end of the lake & caught several right off the bat, then moved to the other side of the railroad bridge to look for more. There we landed 7 pound channel, 10 pound blue & then about 1 o'clock in the morning the rod @ the back of the boat doubled over & the fight was on!!!! wow what a fish, he was a fightin 25lber that was mad when he got to the boat i tell u what!!!! Well we got him on a stringer & fished till 3 am & left. pretty exciting being as u dont see fish that big all the time on this lake. Might have to go to texoma so we can find the really big ones!!! All fish caught on fresh shad & perch that were slit on the sides. The 10lber was on a small tilapia cut on his sides as well!!!! Maybe next time we'll try the big reds that i sometimes see @ the cleaning station!! Well back to the deep fryer so i can finish up & share with the whole family whose off for the holiday, later guys!!

19. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Will- those are some brutes!
    Nicely done!:wink: