Calamari

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Dmitri, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    So, I was at this italian place and had a plate consisting of some steamed calamari tentacles with garlic and squid heads stuffed with cheeses and peppers and whatnot. Well, I didn't eat it all so of course I get a box and take it home. After just one night in the fridge that stuff started smelling RANK. So of course I slipped some on a hook and tore up some bank fishing. Smells just as bad, if not worse than dead rotting fish only it was rubbery and some of those pieces, especially the tentacles lasted for more than one catch. Just a new bait I discovered and thought I should share it with the bretheren.

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Breck, Not to long ago there was an article in the state paper where some one had caught a small octopus in Lake Conway just a few miles from my house. Some one had just disposed of an unwanted pet but it sounds like they should have used it for bait.:cool2:

ST

3. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Haha, I did catch that article earlier this week. I bet they could've made plenty of catches, it was a decent size after all.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    there are quite a few people who rave about squid being the best cat bait... heck one of the guides around here had some sunday and gave it to his brother to use when he went out there... didn't catch anything cause his anchor wouldn't hold but i think he only stayed 10 minutes or so out there with it...

I would have had some too if my freezer handed thawed last week... had about 100 lbs of different baits stock piled for this tourny and others and it all got thrown out (before i could get to it to save any of it)... not only the squid, but shad, alewives, bluegills, etc... even some chicken liver and such... did end up getting some fresh stuff from one of the guys I fish with but that was only shad... wasn't able to go back and grab any squid before the tourny

5. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's too bad about your freezer, I would hate for that to happen to me. But I did not know that squid was such a popular bait. I had never heard of anyone using it before me.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    sorry to hear about your freezer I have used squied a few times cat fishing never had any luck with it but you can`t beat it for salt water:big_smile: