Cajun Red - Red hooks - I'm puzzled

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flatheadhunterx, Jan 30, 2006.

1. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    can any of you fellows answer this. cajun line claims their red disappears 3 ft deep because red is the first color to disappear under water. but yet hook makers say the blood red hook is a good hook because the red in it triggers a fish to bite? the question is if it disappears at 3 ft deep how does it trigger a fish to bite?

2. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Is the three feet,the distance for the human eye?If you were a foot away from it under water,could you still see it?Thats the way i take it.Might be totally wrong,have been more than once!:eek:
    Ernie

3. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    they say the line dissappears 3 deep in the water so all the fish sees is the bait.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Great question, I've been woundering this one my self. I'm using the red line for the first time this year on one pole and clear mono on another and braid on another. I've got more bites on the red so far. Not sure why, but it's true. Met Danny King at a show this year. He says it doesn't matter what color ya use, he uses the red because he can see it better. So I got me some red line and he's right I can see it better.
    I'm Not sure the fish can or can't see it. hope someone can give us a better answer.

5. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Remember ROY G BIV??? Red is the first color of the rainbow, and has the weekest UV light coming from it. If the light can not activate the color, the color does not show. You have to have light going through it. So that being said, a violet colored mono will show much deeper , and brighter because it it takes less light for it to show.

Ray

6. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I HAVE NOT HEARD THAT TERM SINCE 7th Grade Science.....and that was a very long time ago!!:crying:

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you fish very clear water for Bass or Trout id worry about line color. think about it, if a fish can be caught on a trottline with 1/8 inch thick white twine, they arent going to care about, let alone see whatever line your using. but your right, red will dissapear faster underwater. same thing goes with the red hooks, if your in clear water maybe, other than that i think its just a marketing tactic.

8. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    but why do they say the red hooks trigger fish to bite?

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    So what about fluorocarbon line they say its invisible? I'm thinking that sense the red line lets light into it sense it's a plastic and hooks reflect. That this might have to do with something saying that blood red hooks attracts fish.

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have been thinking the same things. I think its all just a big gimmick. BUy our hooks because they trigger fish to bite, buy our line, it disappears. Come on, which is it.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I read an article on this red-hook thing last year in either NA fisherman or In fisherman, the consensus was red hooks catch more fishermen than they do fish. Side by side comparisons with regular hooks and red hooks were evenly split. Keep in mind they tested it on walleye and bass. Even had input from pro tourney guys who said its just a matter of personal preferance. Didn't help or hurt.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys, I use Red Cajin line & I've had this argument on a couple different web sites. The answer: "I Dunno Know" :confused:

13. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I don't think a cat gives a darn about the color of anything as long as there is something they want to eat at the end of it. I have spend a huge amount of time experimenting with this and thats what I decided.:0a26:

14. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    I do know when you wear a really good pair of Blue Blocker sun glasses that vegitation thats alive will show a bright green and red blood frome a fresh cut will be Hot Pink almost glowing. And when youre bass fishing some how they know when sea weed is stuck on the plug even when to my eyes the moss is the same color as the plug. Whats the deal do some fish see in blue blockers can some fish see bright pink as blood. and when youre wearing blue blockers what happens to the color red on something not alive like a hook.
    Just my observations that probably don't mean a thing then they might.

15. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I'm with ya on this one Itch,I too think the fish dont care!

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont know if they can see it or not but i do know that cajun red line is good stuff.Ive got it on all my reels but one,its tuff as nails and casts really well.I started using it last year and ended up putting it on all my poles.

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    What I have read is that red is the color of gills. When feeding starts the gills fill with blood making them RED. This can cause a feeding frenzy. I don't know if it is true but that is what I read when I was researching hooks.
    Bill :cool:

18. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I have used blood red and regular hooks last year side by side and never noticed a difference. Not only that if im using nightcrawlers ill try and hide the hook anyways so the it didn't matter there. Even when i used blood red circle hooks i didn't notice a difference except that they cost more.

19. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hmmm , iv thought about this alot too and it doesnt make sense
    if red dissappears first then i think it woul benefit on both line and hooks, because red line so they cant see the line, red hooks so they cant see the hooks just the lure that looks like a fish without hooks dangling,

but then the hook makers say it triggers strike and makes it all confusing

20. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thank's for pointing that out! I've been bothered by the same thing about the red colors...

shawn