Cajun Red on Ultralight

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by sds888, Jul 14, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I like cajun red on deep rigs but I am concern I am not catching as many fish on it in the shallows. I went out a couple of nights ago with 6lb clear line and caught a mess load of bream on the ultralight. I relined my reel with 6lb cajun red yesterday and went out tonight at the same spot hardly caught any fish. I know that it could have been the fish werent just biting but it makes me wonder. I also had a school a five bass ranging from 3-4lbs swim into the shallows and I had on a 1/16 once roadrunner so I toss it out and statred to reel it in well when I got to the middle of the school the bass scattered. I was doing all of my fishing in 1-3 feet of water. The bass were in about a 1 1/2 feet of water. Wondered if anyone had something to say about it. Should I reline my rods and throw away the 6lb canjun red?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Cajun red starts to dissaper in 12" but takes a lot more than that to comptely go away. In clear watered shallows I'd use clear line.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have Cajun Red on almost all of my poles and I have never had that happen, yet. But there's always the possibility of things like that happening with any line.

4. jaycat

jaycat New Member

State:
    Waterloo ,NY
    id use clear line for fishing in less than 2 foot of water

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Right now I am using the Shakespeare Cajun lines exclusively. Partly because I am doing testing for a couple of clients and partly because I wanted to satisfy my own curiosity.
    Personally, I've not had the problems you mentioned, nor any other "serious" problems yet. I've been working with/Testing line weights from 2# class to 50# class.
    Matter of fact, I really like this stuff! It ties easily, casts well, spools great, and if fairly abrasion resistant too. And yes, it does start doing a disappearing act shortly after going under the surface of the water.
    Personally, I think there are other factors that you might not have immediately found that may be the cause of your problem. Under the conditions you described, if it was me, I would start looking elsewhere for the problem unless you handled your line after handling a gas pump at the gas station and did not wash the gas, or other substances, off your hands before handling your lines, hooks, lures, etc.
    I hope this helps you some.:smile2:
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

6. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Well no I didnt have any gas on my hands. but we will see I am going on a fishing trip next week if I am not catching anything shallow with it again I will change to clear line. It could have just been the conditions that day. I am going to some ponds this next week with big blugills going to shoot for the world record lol well maybe the pond record well maybe just a big one but we will see.

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I am almost the opposite of you: I haven't had much opportunity to use Cajun Red on my bigger cat poles, but I have 6 pound test on almost all of my ultralights. I have found absolutely nothing wrong with it, and if anything I have caught more fish on it than other lines. Now if you were in really really clear waters, that might have been a problem. If I fish clear waters I use clear fishing line no matter what fish I am fishing for. I really dont think the cajun is the problem. Note: I have also caught bass up to 5 pounds on cajun. Dont give it up on your shallow rigs just yet :smile2:

8. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    thanks barbel the real test will come this next week when I fighting those blugills on that ultra light. Do they make cajun in a smaller line llike 4lb or 2lb? I have not seen any around here and havent looked that much on the internet.
    Stephen

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Oh absolutely. I have seen 2 pound test in Cabela's (along with the 4 lb) and they even have an ice fishing line that I have seen during the winter months. I think they make their lines all the way from 2 lb. to close to (if not over) 50 lb. test. And are you using Cajun Lightning, Cast, or Advantage? This is just for my curiosity.

10. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    I think it is advantage but without looking at I am not sure. I forget the little details often LOL.