cajun red line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by iowacatsmacker, Apr 12, 2008.

1. iowacatsmacker

iowacatsmacker New Member

State:
    murray,iowa
    im going to try cajun red line this year, has anyone used this line for catfishing?, going with 30 lbs test. I have always used 30# trilene big cat, both lines are mono, the trilene has not let me down, but some say cajun red works real nice for cat's, so what the heck i will give it a shot. WHAT LINE IS BEST??? [ I fish for lake cats so 5-20 lbs fish] not 60 lbs river flathead's

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    chuck, stick with the trilene cajun red is crap!

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THATS MY BIGGEST SELLER AT THE STORE ,BE SURE YOU GET CAJUN RED LIGHTNIN BECAUSE IT IS HIGH ABRASION RESISTANCE AND AT 6ft IT IS INVISIBLE TO FISH , do not get cajun cast AND BY THEY WAY I USE IT UP TO 80lb:0a23:

GOOD LUCK FISHING

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I AGREE WITH THIS.......THERE IS A THREAD I BELIEVE IN THE FISHING LINE SECTION WHERE ABOUT 9 OUT OF 10 PEOPLE WERE UNHAPPY WITH CAJUN RED.....I WOULD STICK WITH THE BIG GAME YOU CANT BEAT IT FOR MONO.

P.S. CATFISH ARE NOT LINE SENSITIVE IF SOMEONE TELLS YOU THEY ARE TELL THEM TO STICK WITH BASS FISHING. LOL!!!

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Cajun Red = :angry:

I HATE IT! I run Big Game 25-50lb test

6. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    I have been using it in fresh and salt water for the last 3 years and had no problem with it so far. Saw it on a tv commerical ordered several spools from Cabela's 12,15and 25 spooled up several reels and tried it. I used big game trilene for yeas also have had no complaints with it. Still have several reels spooled with it. Price has a lot to do with what I buy these days. Try to get all my fishing supplies when I can find a deal. Times are getting rough down here in DIXIE. As the old saying goes try it U may like it. U may want to do some research on it. Sport Fishing Mag. did an article on line strength a while back also Salwater Fisherman. Check the out on the net.

Thanks For Letting Me Share
    PEEDEE CAT

7. jeeper70

jeeper70 New Member

State:
    ga
    im using cajun 14 pound test on all my poles and even the little ultra light rod&reel- but i just changed all from cajun 12 lb test
    keeps me fishing
    here my record this year with 14lb test
    blue cat 22lbs 34"

u/l pole 14lb test
    carp- 10 lbs

Attached Files:

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    cajun line works great after it's been stretched. until then it will hold memory like piano wire!

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Well I bought some 40lb lighting red a few yrs back and couldnt hardly give it away . It had more memory than barbed wire and I had a rough time making knots with it ..but to be hoest i never spooled it up so it might have streched out to a workable medium, but at the same time I dont want line that can only be used once the integety of it is compromised

Long Live Big Game 40lb

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I could have been a little more specific in my thread earlier, but this is the exact same problem that I had. I am not willing to compromise losing a fish because my line isn't weak enough...

Does that even makes sense? Seems kinda backwards!

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Chuck;
    Personally, since the line your talking about is not one of those High Dollar $$$ Braids, spend the money and do some testing yourself. :wink:
    I've always maintained that Line, Rods, Reels, Hooks, ect, are a personal thing and should if at all possible be tried out first before making a final decision. I realize that Rods and Reels can get real expensive real fast but if there are any Brother's or Sister's near you that has a reel or rod, or both, that your interested in I am sure they would let you give it a try on a fishing trip with them. :big_smile: No matter if you go with them or they go with you.
    Like everyone else, that's just my own personal opinion. It will be up to YOU to make the final decisions no matter what fishing gear you try.
    Finally, "WELCOME TO THE BOC" As you can see, any time you have a question, you will get a wide variety and multitude of answers of which to help with your selections. That is a big part of why the BOC exists is to share information and experiences with other members so that hopefully their experiences will be more exciting and fulfilling while hopefully saving you a lot of your hard earned $$$$ making choices that might not be in your best interests.
    Hope this helps ya out.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[ End of Post ]]]]]

12. raildan

raildan New Member

State:
    ca
    first of all welcome chuck,i use 14lb cajun red and the only problem is the memory.you might want to find out what the locals use.i don't think one line works on all types bodys of water.

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I've been very happy with most of the Cajun Red line I've used. I've found it to be very strong and abrasion resistant. I use 17 and 20lb on most of my outfits and they have handled Flatheads up into the 50lb range quite well. I tried Cajun Red in 30lb one time but it was too stiff for my liking, so I went back to Sufix Seige for my reels with 30lb line. Cajun Red does need to be used a couple times before it settles down and gets limp. I mostly tie a sinker on and make a few cast right after I respool that seems to do it. I have also found Cajun Red a be a very long lasting line, I end up respooling about once a year and thats because the spool is getting low from the hangups where I fish.
    I tried 30lb Big Game once and it was good line as long as you don't mind changing it every month. The first few times it seemed great but after about a month it had so much memory it looked like a slinky and would break at 10lbs.
    Guess I should add that my rods stay in my jeep or the back of my truck 24/7, it may be that Cajun Red and Sufix have better UV protection than Big Game.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I really like it,i have it on all my reels.Its super strong and ive never had a fish break me off.good stuff.

15. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I started using Cajun Red a couple years ago. Last year I respooled all of my reels with it. I use from 6-30lb test. I agree with Griz that especially on the 30lb it does have some memory. But after I spool a reel I usually do the same in taking it out in the yard and throwing it a few times just to get it straight. After that I havent had any problems with it. I at first had some hesitation since it was the most economical line at the local Wally world, but I am totally satisfied with it.

16. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I used the 15lb test and Ididn't like it compaired to my tryed and true ande. I gave the spool away to guy I work with and he liked it.

17. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have a small bait store down here on the mississippi river i sell alot of the red. and alot of the guys love it. but i hate it wont find it on my reels, if its the price there is a lot better line out there for about the same amout of money. i fish alot of tourneys and we get our share of the big cats 50# up. we use ANDES 40# ENVY GREEN it makes very strong knotts and is very tuff stuff. i bought a two pound spool of it for about 65 bucks, that will last for two yrs. and i have eight penn reels to spool. so no red on our boat.

18. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    the voice of reason, amen,

maybe the heavier lines act differently but cajun cast 14lb and under is a bing bang for the buck. it's so much more sporting to tackle big fish with light lines and tackle than to use overpowering tackle. might as well just use a rope and pulley :wink: having said that i know there are circumstances where you do need heavier line so you don't get snagged and in these cases the 30lb and up suffix siege is much better than the cajun for just a little bit more. And that is my opinion i agree quite strongly with brother Coyote1's assesment. there are so many variables and where i go might be very different than your path.

regards,
    m.a.d.

19. hoghunter40

hoghunter40 Member

State:
    lincoln,nebrask
    i think red line is crap for cats|i use berkley big game for cats period. i use 50#line no leaderhauled in a lot of catswith it from 1#to60#had some break but most not.

20. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I totally agree with you Rusty I use 30lb envy IGFA on all my cat equipment. I just finished my 2lb spool getting my poles ready for this year. But I do use the pink 4lb on my ultra lites and pink 15lb on some lighter equip. Its the only line that I will spend my money on now.