Cajun Red line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by grizzly, Jul 1, 2007.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Anyone else use the Cajun Red. I started last year using the 6lb for crappie and found it to be really tough line. This year I started using 20lb on my crappie trolling poles where a 10lb+ gar is common. We catch a lot of gar and grinnel[bowfin] which can chew up line quick. This line holds up so good I was thinking of using 40 or 50 for leaders for cattin.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., I have been using Cajun Red line for 3 or 4 years for catfish and stripers. I fish five days a week and my line gets a lot of abuse and yet it still performs. There is a lot (25 to 28 percent) stretch in it, same as most mono lines. It curls when it first comes off the reel, but after it lies in the water a minute or so, the curl/memory is gone for that day. I use 30 pound line for the cats and 10 to 12 pound for the stripers. For the shock leader I use 40 to 50 pound Cajun.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use it alot as well and like it. My results are the same as posted above me. I use the Advantage though.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I goota say I have always been for braided power pro and berkly but I have caught some of my biggest fish on 30lb cajun red line. Last week I caught a 54.3 lber on 30 lb test and it was the best fighting fish I have ever fought. And my pb 66lbs. ended up being caught on that same rod on 30 lb test. I thought of it as cheap junk at first but I may put some 40lb on all my rods as cheap as it is and as decent as it has been to me.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have always been a berkley man but have liked the performance of 30# Cajan Red. I would recommend it.:big_smile:

6. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Thats all i use now!! No joke we were out one day and Colby out fished me 4 to one !!!! Whats bad is he would cast right next to my line!!He had the red and i had spider wire!!It disappears under water!!

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While red is the first color to disappear underwater, it doesn't do it till you get down 15'-20'.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Personally, I love it! I have tried many, many different types of string. Semms like I've tried them all. I never got into braid too much, but I don't use a baitcaster either. The one time I did try it, it kept getting all knotted up. Anyways, I use 30# abbraision resistant line on my big cat rods, and 17# on my smaller rods. I have yet to break it except when I get hung up, and then it kinda sucks trying to break it. Especially in a boat. Alot of times, it will straighten the hook instead of breaking. Just seems like it casts better, and is stronger than most lines I've tried. It's WAY better line than SpiderWire IMO. I don't know about the red being an advantage, I just like it's performance. I can cast the 30# a long, long way too. I give it thumbs up, way up.

9. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I first bought it for the red color, but quickly became impressed with it's toughness. With all the gar where I fish, I can still fish all day without retying constantly because of frayed and weakend line. And yes. even the 6lb is tough to break when hung up.

10. HeartofDixie

HeartofDixie New Member

State:
    Blountsville, Alabama
    I bought a spool of it a few weeks ago and relined one of my rods with it. In the very near future, I will be relining the rest of them. Very good line in my opinion.

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    But I have Cajun Red on two of my poles in 25 pound test and I love it! Yes it's definitely hard to break!!:big_smile::big_smile:

12. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    its said to disappear in 3' or less i use it on my bass fishing gear yes i know im guilty but it in my opion have brought more fish to the boat then any other "tough" line i've used

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I use 17# Cajun and 30 # Cajun leaders and have never had any problems with it.

14. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I use it on my light tackle.I like Power Pro red on my catfish gear though.:cool2:

15. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was a die hard Berkly Trilene XL 20 pound test user up until last year. I tried some Cajun Red 20 pound test and love it. It has the same dia.and is super strong. It does have more memory than Trilene but it is a much stronger line. I saw in a fishing catalog the other day that they are coming out with a new and improved Cajun Red with less memory. I sure will try it when it is time to respool.:006:

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    It's also great for leader/tippett [used for fly fishing]. The lower pound tests, that is..2-6lb. line
    :wink:

17. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I used it before I spooled my reels with braided, and I loved it. My first catfish I ever caught was on Cajun 12lb test with an older zebco rhino rod and reel combo. I had my rod double over, and I felt like I had a rock, until it started swimming! I was in a raft, and I had the fight of my life, for about 10-15 mins. I tried to ease my drag, and that 's when I found out it didn't work. So I had this obviously big fish on, that I had to muscle. When he finally surfaced and we netted him, I had caught a 9lb 4oz Channel cat. After that, I was a believer in Cajun line. Come to think of it, I never have respooled that rod and reel, don't think I will either!:smile2:

You know, I think I will go and buy some to use as leaders for my catfish setups now that I think about it!... I just will go a little bigger than 12 lb, maybe 40...:eek:oooh:

I'd hate to lose a fish, because my line isn't strong enough!

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I used the stuff once putting it on a red Abu on a red rod (I was trying to look cool I guess:big_smile:) and I couldn't have been more disappointed. Me and a buddy of mine joke about it and call it Cajun Memory! I've never had a line with that much memory and that little castability. It was definitely the worst mono I've ever used in my life. That's just my opinion though so...

19. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Cajun red is my favorite. Its cheap and very strong. Sometimes so strong its a pain in the ass to break off a snag in a boat. I think ive pulled the boat off of the anchor pulling so hard. I use 40lb on my abu 7000's and 30lb on my 6000's.

20. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 17# on my Abu baitcaster and i can really sling it compaired to the line that was on it before.