Cajun Red Help!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by dinger66, Aug 29, 2008.

1. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    ok brothers and sisters of the boc ,i have a friend that is a new rep for cajun red line . he is a babe in the woods when it comes to catfishing and he ask me to help him out . he wants comments both good and bad about the line . any war stories you have about it will help him out . in turn i will work on him for some help (aka free stuff) to give away on the boc. the new braid is comeing out and lots more new stuff for spring. zebco is looking to get back into catfishing in a big way so here is a chance to be heard by a major company . lots know me some dont , but iam here to stay and help the sport that i love so much and the friends i have made that no one man deserves. thanks guys i know you will help all you can.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    well ding the only thing I use the cajun red line on is my bait rod that I use to catch bream with. I got 6lb line on it and it is good and tough. When they come out with the braid I will more than likely try it as I am very satisfied with their light line.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I bought a big spool of Cajun Red 30# mono and spun up two reels with it..
    I found it to be pretty Stiff, full of memory Coils, and less user friendly than Ande or Big Game. At nite, there is no way I can see it ...

While it seems to be pretty strong line, the other factors keep me from liking it very much and I will probably end up using the rest of the big spool for leaders.

4. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I've used the smaller stuff for my bream poles. No complaints. Not used anything bigger from them.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I like the Cajun Red Lightnin' up to 20lb test, over 20lb it gets too stiff for my liking. The 20lb line is very tough, real good abrasion resistance and seems to have good uv resistance too. I fish lakes mostly and the 20lb Red Lightnin' line has handled Flathead catfish from 40 to 67lbs(some caught by me and some caught by friends) quite well.
    I also like the fact that the Cajun Red Lightnin' line is still made in the U.S.A.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    it is strong BUT MEMORY,memory,memory, and stiff I have over 25 spools ask him if he want to trade it out ops just recounted have 42 1/4's and filler spools

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It has way to much memory for me,although I use 80# cajun red for leaders, its tough & resist abraision...:0a26:

8. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    I use 17, 20 on most of the reels and 50 for leaders. So far no complaints.:big_smile:

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I might try their braid - I don't use any mono at all. I'll try about any kind of braid once:big_smile:

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i love it its verry tuff stuff i was using berkly befor for a lot more mony and if i hung up it would brake this stuff i get hung up it will straiten the hook befor it will brake and its a lot cheaper im on a fixed income sins my back is shot so cheaper price plus good qwalaty its a win win as far as im consernd

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use it, and like it. The 30# does have some memory, but the strength and abraision resistance make up for that imo. I don't have any problems casting it. I don't cast for alot of distance though. Some may be better for that idunno. The stuff is strong. Even the 17# is difficult to break off if you get hung up. I know it will hold a pretty big fish..even though I haven't caught one lmao.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have used it for a while now in 20lb test and have to say it is some tuff stuff. Have caught flatheads up to 67 lbs and no problems. When you first spool it on....you need to break it in by making some long and hard casts with a sinker on it and after it is broke in, it works very good then. At first it is very stiff.:big_smile:

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I LIKE IT FOR A COUPLE REASONS.... I USED IT AND GOING TO USE IT AGAIN ( OVER THE SUMMER I SWITCHED TO BRAID AND FOUND THAT WAS A BIG MISTAKE )

I USE 10-14-20-25LB CAJUN RED LIGHTNING

1.RED DOES VINISH UNDER WATER ( I FISH DURING NIGHTTIME )

2.PRICE..... CAT FISH CONNECTION SELLS IT FOR $5.75 A 1/4 LB SPOOL

3. AS john catfish young SAID YOU NEED TO BREAK IT IN AFTER YOU SPOOL IT.... IVE NATURALLY DONE THAT WITH ALL LINES AND I HAVE TO SAY... OF ALL THE MONOS.... ITS NOT THE BEST BUT ONE OF THE TOUGHEST...( I USE A 2 OZ WEIGHT ON MY 10 LB LINE AND A 7 OZ WEIGHT WITH THE HIGHER LBS BUT I USE A 9 FT ROD+ REALLY LONG CASTS

4. ONCE ITS IN THE WATER FOR A EVEN A FEW SECONDS IT GETS REALLY LIMP

5.KNOT STRENGTH IS VERY GOOD( CLINCH KNOT)" MY FAVORITE "

NOW WITH THAT SAID THERE IS NO CORRECT ANSWER FOR ANY SITUATION BUT IN MY WATERS ITS A VERY GOOD SETUP TO HAVE....

OTHERS HATE IT BUT I LIKE IT AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS TO ME :wink:

14. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    sleekcraft i agree with you it will have to be broken in. i talked to some men who use it in 50-80 lb weight. they said to tye on a heavy weight (6-8) ounce sinker and throw it out a couple of times. if this doesnt help try spraying your reeled line with wd-40, this should help with coils

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i plan on getting some new combos( if you look in the reel thread youll read why):sad2: from okuma along with 25-20 lb cajun

ill probably get the one with the 9 ft rod becasue i actually like the fighting you can do with a longer rod......

i always find huge tire weights off of tractors so i have one with safety wire attached to it to do some surf casting and dont have to worry about knicking my mainline...... " i still like to see how much damage a 30 ft curb does to mono and its devistating :eek:oooh: doesnt do anything to the wire :wink:

and if you dont want to use cable or dont have safety wire pliers you can get some $1.00 south bend mono in the 50 lb range to do your casting with and make it about 3 ft long................

probably one of the things to stress about the most is spooling the line right!!!!!

i spooled a setup wrong with a smaller bass reel and it was a nightmare :smile2:

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I HATE THE STUFF, to much memory in test above 20-lb

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I love the stuff very strong and abrasion resistant,i have it on on all my reels.
    I use the 20 pound test,i would use the thirty pound test but anything over 20 pound test for some reason is like a slinky.

18. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I have the 30# on three of my reels. At first the line is stiff and has a ton of memory. After using if for a while it gets a lot better. Strongest 30# test that I have ever used. When you get hung it is just about imposible to break. I just caught a blue that weighed around 80 lbs on it on the Mo. river. IN the strongest current on the river at the end of a wing dyke. My gps put the current at around 3.3 to 3.4 mph as I drifted thought it to look at the bottom. This line in my opinion the line never faultered during a 25 minute battle with this fish. I think it is good line. I am a believer in it.

Tom

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I don't use it because I like a florescent line.When Night fishing I like using a black light with florescent line so I can see the bite. I don't always rely on bait clickers. Planning on picking up some Cajun Red in 10# today for bait pole.

20. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I absolutely love the Cajun Advantage and I like the Red Lightning. I use it in the 30 and 50 lb sizes. This line is ideal for the way I fish. It is tough and very abrasion resistant. We have landed blues up to 48 lbs on it. I use the 50lb as leader material for my outfits spooled with the 30 lb. I LIKE IT! But then again I am jes a bit different and slightly off in the noggin...