Cajun Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by eagle22, Mar 18, 2007.

1. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use cajun line 50# test. I started using it because they said it is not a visable as other lines. I have seen the Berkley Big Game line. It is green. Is this line better than cajun? Does this green line disappear in the water? I was also looking for cajun 40# test. I can't find it anywhere. Do they make it?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Line color matters little to catfish, a lot less than to the fisherman. The solar green is popular because you can see it at night with a black light. I like it when drift fishing, but tend to use several different color lines so I can keep an eye on them and keep them drifting straight. Can't get a wide spread when fishing four lines out of a kayak or canoe.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im confused on this line, they do make 40# i seen a spool on ebay a couple days back.

the confusion is/ red line dissappers under water right?/ the why does red hooks attract fish to bite?/ thought red dissappeared?:tounge_out: :tounge_out: :tounge_out: :roll_eyes: :confused2:

4. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I use cajun line in 30# test. It is a bit stiff at first but gets more limber with use. The stuff seems almost unbreakable. It held up all summer, I never had to respool at all.

5. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cajun is definately good line!!! I have it on all my river set ups down to my drifting/trollin gear down to my perch poles... I have never had it break on a fish but only a couple "snags"... Cabelas should have 40# but i dont use anything over 30#, the way i see it theres really no need, give them fish a chance instead of horsing them in on 50# pley em out its funner that way!!!

O and w/ the red line vs red hooks --> The line is made to absorb the light, and the hooks are metal, ofcourse which they are made to reflect the light, the reflection "glimmer" of the hook will attract the fish..

Bazil

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I believe it is to hook buyers. Of course I don't care if they can't see the line either, my thought is once it gets so far down they can't see any of it any how.

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Jason;
    I'm not sure if my original thread is still available or not so I will give you a "quick" answer to your question. :smile2:
    In my own personal testing of the Cajun lines up to 50#'s I found it to be a bit more supple than Berkley Big Game and thus the knots, in the larger sizes, 30#+ are a bit easier to tie. Especially when "Arthritis'' acts up in my hands.
    While the "BIGGUN'S", Blue's over 60#, ect, are not as picky about line color as other fish species I still strive to put all the odds in my favor as possible.
    Yes, the Cajun lines DO start to disappear further down in water although I am NOT going out in a river this time of year to retest line visibility again! I am a "Coyote" and Not a Polar Bear so that means I do NOT line COLD water!!:lol: LOL!
    I have one of my spools on my Penn 9500SS loaded with the 30# Cajun Red Lighten and the other spool with 50# for my wife because she is not ready to use the Pro Braid that she got me for my birthday:smile2: that is on my other, new, spinning reel that she also got me for my birthday!! :big_smile:
    You will find that some of the Brother's and Sister's like the Cajun lines and some like the Berkley Big Game lines.
    My advice to you, especially considering how inexpensive these lines are, it to try them both out and decide for yourself! :smile2: There are other brands worth considering too. One that some folks like is the "Ande" line and also the Cabela's lines are worth looking at as are some of the Bass Pro Shops lines.
    What it all boils down to is what works best for Y-O-U! :wink: :smile2: .
    If I have not answered all of your questions please do not hesitate to contact me via PM. But DO read what others have to say about lines too because not having tested all of the lines that are available some of the other BOC folks will tell you about their lines and why they like them too.
    Take all of that information, put it together, shuffle it, and pick out the two 3 or 4 brands and styles and start from there and find out for yourself. :smile2: Your technique will be similar, but different, than everyone else's and that in itself may be enough for one line to work better for you than another. Besides, testing out different things is part of the fun!:wink:
    Finally, Welcome Aboard The BOC! :smile2: Your life has changed for the better and in ways you have no idea of just now!:lol:
    I hope this helps you out some and answers your questions for now.
    Take Care, Walk In Peace,
    Fraternally Yours,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

8. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use Cajun Line 30# and 40# exclusively. 40# is available in Cajun Red Lightnin' and Cajun Red Advantage.

9. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    ive always used big game line and i love it.Im gonna try something different this year though.Im gonna keep big game 20lb solar spooled and use a 50lb test cajun leader--seems like maybe this might be the best of both worlds.

10. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given me. You are great people. I hope you all catch a big one.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It may not be true, but i have heard that Cajun line gets brittle when exposed to high heat.
    That's the only thing keeping me from trying it on my baitcasters (spinning reels get power Pro).
    My baitcasters get stored in my cars trunk at times during the summer. The heat in that trunk gets pretty intense.
    If that's not true, let me know. I might try a switch for the baitcasters.

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mine stay in a rod box in my boat, so far after a year on the 3 rods I am trying it on I have had no problems with Cajun 30# after it gets streched the first time. Till it gets streched it does have quite a bit of memory. So far it has worked just as good as the big game I have on the rest of my set ups. I told my self I would give it a year of testing and the year will be up in May so far so good.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I don't think Cajun line would get any more or less brittle than most other lines. If you can't store your rods at home, think about removing the reels and taking them in. That will help the line, high heat isn't good for it.

14. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All too often I use them for bass and panfish fishing on my way home from work and during my lunch. That's the only reason they are in there.
    My catfishing equipment does stay in the garage.

I don't remember when it was (August '06 maybe?), but someone posted about this. The line worked great until it was exposed to that heat, but then it got very brittle.

15. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i had the same problem with cajun line and spider mono so i switched to trilene big game.the big game works great-but i did purchase some cajun advantage this year(i think thats what its called)its supposed to be UV resistant.

16. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    ive used it on all my rods since it was released,awesome line,i still have the same spool on 2 of em since last janurary,cought a 32 lb flatty on one last week,no problems with it[20lb test]

17. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    The cajun red line does not disappear under water like they claim that it does. As for it getting brittle in high temperatures it will break down and lose some of it's strenght.

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use the cajun on all my poles and have never ever had a problem with it getting brittle.That stuff is as tuff as nails.I will say that after about oh ayear of use the red line starts to turn pink lol.But like everyone says catfish dont care and i usually change mine once a year anyway.But as far as strength goes thats never been a problem.I love the stuff

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have cajun red on all of my cat rods. I have used it for years and have no problems with the line. I use 20 and 30 pound line. Strong strong line.

20. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I put cajun 14lb on 4 rods and after the first trip I was so mad at it I respooled 2 of them when I got home with spider wire. But now the other 2 have straightened out. Like everyone says it has to be stretched and tight spooled by catching fish then it works pretty good. It is real strong line. Is it common for spider wire to frazzel out when it's abused? By snags I mean. One leader of mine looks like a frazzeled rope. I'm taking spider wire off as leaders.