Cairo Illinois. Mississippi/Ohio rivers

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by psychomekanik, Jan 15, 2008.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm planing at least one trip, if not several this year to the southern tip of illinois to Cairo where the miss. and the ohio merge. I was wanting to hear from some of the brothers (and sisters) who have fished this spot, or live near. any particular hot spots, cautions, baits, times of the year, anything you have to share. I'll be fishing in my boat so bank spots are"nt so important. is there anywhere close i can catch skipjacks? I'll be bringing asst. size shad, bluegills, creek chubs, etc, etc..but, i'd love to try some skips.

2. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I don't fish down there very much, but depending upon when you go. There is a power plant I believe at Joppa on the Illinois side. You should be able to catch some skipjacks in the warm water discharge. Also there is a BOC member named Rusty who has a bait shop at New Madrid Mo. he always has frozen skipjack, most of the time he has fresh skipjack. I hope this helps.

3. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had some luck bank fishing at Mounds where grain barges are loaded. There is a ramp there. Lots of channels in that area. The locals use what they call "gumbo worms", which are a long clay earthworm. The channels won't touch night crawlers, but go for those worms. Another local uses stinkbait with lots of cat tail fuzz to thicken it. Rolls a ball and uses a small treble hook.

4. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    You can get chad from the river at mounds also and liver works great there too...How big is your boat..you will need a big boat to fish around cairo point.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have been thru there a lot but never got to stop and fish it , but would like to

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey thanks guys. I think i"ve located the power plant using google earth already. it was one of the spots i had earmarked. there's also a small chain of islands just upstream from the power plant on the ohio river i like. but, i definately want to find some skipjack when i'm there. it'd be nice to find a spot and catch a bunch to bring home. i'd love to see what they will do with them here...

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There's a structure just upstream from olmsted, right on the wates' edge,on the illinois side. Is this a power plant also??

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Go up into the Ohio. It doesn't get the fishing pressure that the Mississippi does. It's smoother flowing also. I had a buddy on his first outing catch 3 +30lb. blues.

9. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    No... that the new lock and dam 53....the power plant is 25 or so miles up river from there.

10. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have fished up there many times . there is very good fishing up there. the barge traffic is every at the point keep your eyes open. you can get big blues up the ohio or over in the miiss. a lot of 50+ pounders around there, what time of yr. was you planning to fish there.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was considering late march to early april for my first trip.

12. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I have never been on the rivers fishinn, but have been meaning to make a trip. My cousin and I are diehard catfish fisherman. I might be game in hittin the river with ya if ya want. I would be bringing my boat. Let me know