Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They have been bringing Cagles Mill Reservoir up to summer pool over the past week. It is almost there. So if we don't get a big rain, it will be good to go. Big rains don't really hinder the fish bite but the two ramps and all of the parking goes under water. Sometimes 20 or 30 feet under water.

tight lines

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, I have been slacking also. Bloods to thin for these cold nights and I just don't do much daytime fishing any more unless it is to get bait. There might be a big flat learning in Cataract but I am always fishing for channels when I am over there.

Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
Yeah I fish for channels there primarily as well.

I may have told you this before, but I had a contractor do some work on my house and he showed me several pics of 20-40lb flatties that he and his buddies caught in Cataract. All caught from the bank, at a location I'd rather not disclose :) I tried the same spot and caught nothing but channels, but I think I was fishing the wrong side. His bait of preference was large live creek chubs.

Now if it would just warm up a bit...

Registered
Stacee from Indiana
Yeah I fish for channels there primarily as well.

I may have told you this before, but I had a contractor do some work on my house and he showed me several pics of 20-40lb flatties that he and his buddies caught in Cataract. All caught from the bank, at a location I'd rather not disclose :) I tried the same spot and caught nothing but channels, but I think I was fishing the wrong side. His bait of preference was large live creek chubs.

Now if it would just warm up a bit...
Large live creek chubs have been my preference for years until I learned to cut them up and catch more fish. Keeping gar and smallies off my baits has been an issue.
Any big channels being caught at Cagles Mill?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stacee, I can't help you on your question. I have only fished it a couple of time this year so far. Once in the boat for Crappie and once from the bank for carp. Score is crappie (0) Carp (1) and Drum (1).

The channels should be biting but I have not seen or heard of any.

Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
Yeah Reese! When are we going fishing man?! LOL!

Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
Fished Cataract on Friday night. Lake was up 3ft, bait was really hard to find.
All we could catch were juvenile channels, I think the spawn is in full effect. Sounds like a good excuse anyway lol!
They put buoys on the rock levy by the houseboats! About time... Wonder how many props fell victim to its wrath?!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eric, did you notice what the water temperature was. Channels like to spawn between 70 & 74 degrees. I am not sure it is that high yet. A little warmer than that is even better.

I am actually hoping the channels are spawning or getting ready to because I am wanting our group gathering to be after the spawn. I would like to see everyone having a good night with the channels.

Even before they added the rock jetty in front of the house boat cove, there was a rock pile in that area. I scraped a motor over it years ago. Luckily with minimal damage. But I was irritated then that they didn't have the gumption to mark it.

Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
The water temp averaged around 76 degrees, Tom. They should be in full swing by now.
Wish a flatty would have found my bait Stacee! I would have gladly reeled him in :)

Registered
Thad. Indiana
Gentlemen - it鈥檚 been a minute since I鈥檝e been on the forum. Bought a couple of houses at bargain basement price so I鈥檝e spent my winter remodeling. Only been on the lake twice this year so far. Renters are in the houses, one is my oldest and her kids, so I plan to spend more time on the lake. The two times I鈥檝e been out was probably the best channel cat fishing I鈥檝e ever had at Cataract. The first trip was 3 weeks ago. Caught 25 fish in about 6 hours! 3 right at or over 10 lbs. per the scale and only fished one spot the whole night. Last weekend we caught around 20 in the same spot. Average size was smaller than the first trip with the biggest being around 8 lbs. Caught shad right under the bridge in the channel. I hope this keeps up but I鈥檓 not holding my breath. Going camping for a weeks vacation at Rockville Lake starting this Sunday so won鈥檛 get back to the lake for a couple of weeks.
6B4BC6DD-51E6-42AF-AC2E-5111D3485A66.jpeg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good to hear from you Thad, It has been a while. Man, those are some good numbers. And some size to go with it. They may be beginning the spawn now and if not it will be soon.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thad, the question is did you get a new boat or are you fishing with a friend? I was thinking you used a pontoon.

Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
Way to go Thad! Glad to hear someone caught some fish out there last weekend! We drifted all around that lake and could only boat a couple small channels.

Sounds like anchoring was the way to go.

Registered
Thad. Indiana
Tom - didn鈥檛 get a new boat. That was my buddies Lund. I still have the pontoon and fished from it last weekend. I have been looking at some modified V鈥檚 for river fishing. I鈥檇 like to get something like a 1660 or 1860. The Boat Place in Rockville has a few but I just can鈥檛 bring myself to pay 17-20k for a stripped down piece of aluminum with a motor right now.

Eric - location and fresh bait I think was the key. Without giving away too much 馃榿, I can tell you we were fishing really shallow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts