Cactus pics by request:

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Bill in SC, May 27, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Many folks have requested that I post up some cactus bloom photos. I'll start by posting a few of my Echinopsis hybrids. I'll try to put up a few pics all along, as time allows.

First is an unnamed yellow hybrid that just went crazy with it's first flush of blooms this spring. The second two pics is of Echinopsis 'Flying Saucer'. Many of these hybrd blooms reach SIX inches across.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    those are beautiful Bill, my wife would love those

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Heck, might as well post up three more for today. First is the ruffled beauty, Echinopsis 'Southern Belle', followed by Echinopsis eyerisii, (not a hybrid, but a species), and Echinopsis 'Barber Pole'. I think you folks can see why I like cactus farming!!

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Matt. By all means, show them to her!

Bill in SC

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thank you Bill, those are beautiful! I have a few cacti; never had much luck getting any of 'em to bloom except Thanksgiving or Christmas cactuses.....guess jungle types are quite a bit different than desert varieties.

Last spring I bought a fat little mammillopisis senilis. It had two blooms on it at the time. You wouldn't BELIEVE how thrilled I was this spring when it bloomed again! :smile2:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, Tanya, it IS gratifying to see them bloom each year. I'm on a roll, so here are a few more. First is Echinocereus leucanthus, whose full grown stem is but 1/4 inch in diameter, or, smaller than a pencil. Next is Echinocereus pentalophus, whose stems grow procumbent, meaning they flop over and grow along the ground. This one is suitable for a hanging basket. Next is Trichocereus 'Autumn Glow'. I get many of my cactus from miles2go.com in Arizona. Check him out!

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Beautiful. I'm glad i'm not the only man that enjoys flowers. Bad thing about me is that i don't know one from the other. I just enjoy watching things grow. Thanks for the pics.

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bill, I didn't realize you raised cactus. To tell the truth, I never thought much about them being "pretty", but those pictures are absolutely beautiful! They are very exotic looking; I'm really impressed. Thanks so much for sharing those with us.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    John, my husband is like that. When someone comments on my flower bed, he'll tell them, "You know what kind of flower that is? A purple one!":wink: And that one over there is a red one!"

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Had a beauty open last night. Some species do open at night, while others open only in full sun, and close at night. Nonetheless, here is Lobivia huascha v. macrantha. Feels weird posting cactus pics on a catfish forum. I was posting trophy catfish photos on the cactus forums I go to, and one guy in Holland ask me to please note in the heading when there was a fish in a post, so he wouldn't have to look! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Don't feel bad, I got kicked off a carp forum that had a section for catfish. I had just casually mentioned that I had caught a nice catfish, using carp for bait. Turned out quite well, cause when I went looking for a new home, I found this place.

Seems I heard once that the reason some plants only bloom at night is because their pollen transfer is specific to a certain moth that only comes out at night.

12. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Kutter, I'm like that too...lol

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Bill, those cacti are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them pics. :cool2:

14. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Bill, Very nice pics. Amazing vivid colors. thanks for sharing the pics.

15. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Those are just beautiful, thanks for sharing your pictures.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    More pics from today, folks. rather than go through the rigamaroll posting them all here again, I'll just link you to one of the cactus sites that I posted them on. I hope this is not inappropriate as cactus should are not catfish1's competition!! :smile2:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115951#115951

Bill in SC

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I just LUV this thread Bill! Lovely blooms; thanks for that last one - yellow, it's so cheerful.

Isn't it amazing that such prickly things can produce such a display!

:smile2: Gees, seems I've heard some of the BOC brothers talk about their wives/girlfriends in that way. :wink:

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Posted 3 more in the link above your reply, catgirl! Check 'em out!

BB

19. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You know, yesterday I actually stopped while I was at Home Depot & looked at some of the cactus they had; I just couldn't decide if I really would be able to do any good with them. But, I'm still looking!