Cabin on Miss., Illinois Side

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by John(Bullhead)Hagen, Mar 28, 2007.

1. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Anyone know of a cabin or lot where one sat for sale between lock18 and Keokuck.Around Lomax, Dallas City, Niota or Henderson.I am looking to retire soon and think this may be all right as i live within a hour of there and have fished alot around Kiethburg and Oquakua. Thanks John

2. McQ

McQ New Member

State:
    Galesburg, Illi
    Dear John,

I too will more than likely get a cabin or lot at the river in the next few years, and like you I fish the Oquawka area. I have had absolutely terrible luck all my life catching any fish in the pool that you are trying to buy a cabin on. So if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose that area to get a cabin in if you always fished another area?

Hope I'm not being too nosy but I was wondering if you might know something that I don't.

We almost bought a cabin just south of Keithsburg several years back but I got cold feet when I learned the land arrangement. The cabin was nice enough and they wanted 4,000. but.... There was a land owner who you paid 75.00 a month to for rent on the ground then he in turn had some type of contract with the Corps of engineers if I understood the story correctly. I just didn't feel right owning a cabin then if the land owner should not renew the lease or some other issue comes up with the corps then I would have to pick up my cabin and move.???

So we opted for a motorhome and drive it down to the river a couple times a month. We too are about an hour away from the river.

I know this didin't help you much but I just wanted to give you my experience. I'm sure you are probably in tune with the arragements and committments needed to obtain a cabin but the one I looked at sure worried me!!

Let me know if you find one!!

McQ

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    there are 2 places on the Ill side across from Keokuk. First one has a variety of cabins already there, and the next one, about 3 miles downriver has property to lease. I do know he leases it by the year. Later Andy

4. John(Bullhead)Hagen

State:
    ILLinois
    McQ: The only reason i was looking at that part of the river is that there is 40 miles between lock 18 and lock19.Also the cabins are on the river or Shocakon slough right at the edge.Most everythin up at where you are at is up on the bluff,i was hoping to sit on my deck and watch the river or slough and not have to pull boat in and out.Did burnt pocket fill in with silt used to catch alot of fish in there. Thanks John I live in Rapatee 5 miles south of Maquon

5. McQ

McQ New Member

State:
    Galesburg, Illi
    John,

I know where Rapatee is, I used to go through it all the time! I still have a little relation in Gilson. I grew up in Knoxville. I'm from Wataga now.

Well you very well might have a good idea. Now that you mention it the cabin we looked at had about 70 feet of steps going down to the river where the docks and the boats were. To get to a ramp you'd have to use Keithsburg's. Not very convenient, relaxing or security minded.

This year we'll put in at 18 or Burlington and cruise the coastline on the Illinois side and look for future sites.

Good luck finding a cabin an if you come accross a lot rental that you can get a motor home to, please drop me a line.

Now you posted asking for help, and now I'm aking for help from the guy who's asking for help. :crazy:
    Sorry....... take care !

McQ

6. John(Bullhead)Hagen

State:
    ILLinois
    Going to be looking down the river from Gulfport to Navoo Easter weekend.Hope to see somthing and if i do see something that you might be interested in i will let you know.We are going to stop at the Henderson County court house and get a idea of some of the peoples names who it looks like have a shack the dont use but i could tear down and build to suit me John

7. McQ

McQ New Member

State:
    Galesburg, Illi
    OK thanks John for thinking of us. Good luck!

Take care,

McQ

8. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    John . I hope you have better luck than we did. My buddy and I spent 2years looking from Hamilton to Fort Madison. If you did find one for sale it was 40 and up. The lots are also in the 30's . way out of our price range for a cabin. We are 2hours from the river and for now we drive it most of the time. Good luck. Bo

9. FlusherX

FlusherX New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would love to have one too

10. John(Bullhead)Hagen

State:
    ILLinois
    :lol: You know it we are seeing the same thing till you get above the locks at 18.What i had in mind and what they are selling for are on to differrent worlds.It would be like buying a house not a weekend get away.But i will continue to look and maybe one will come up.