cabin fever

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by shortbus, Jan 4, 2006.

1. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I got it bad. When does everyone start fishin the rivers here? I went out those few days that it was kinda warm but got skunked. When do the waters start getting close to about 40deg? I can't wait.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    march or april shortbus. its not that far away buddy. go catch some channels out of the local deep hole.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here in my area in southwest ohio the rivers are now around 44 degrees, theyre up just a little high though. whenever water temps get above 40 channels will start biting, they'lle stop though once it drops again. im gonna try to get out this weekend for channels. go to this site http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/ and click on the station nearest to ya.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    then go here and convert to farenheit....http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm remember to look until you find a station that has a temp guage, not all have them. dont know where your at but i just looked and the white river near Centerton is 47 degrees. about 3 more and i'd be flat fishin!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am trying not to think about fishing right now..I dont want cabin fever to set in this early :D

6. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    Now is the time it's just starting to get right around the part of the Ohio river I'm from. We always look forward to the water dropping. When it hits the 37deg. mark then we start hitting the holes. The blues are really starting to bite down here.

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I am itching to go Also! When it hits 40 again I am going to go off a friends dock. To early to get the boat out.
    Bill

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Headed out for channels here in Fresno this coming weekend then it looks like I will take a month or two break when I get there :sad: I can't wait to try for my first Flat this spring.

9. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    We are definately going to have to go out flatty fishin Brian!! Valpo is about an hour, maybe an hour and twenty minutes away from here, but it will be worth the drive, or maybe we can meet half way or something. We'll figure something out! Flats are the best catfish to catch I think! I can't wait!! :D

10. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I am definately looking forward to fishing with you guys. DOn't have any Flats out here in central CA so I have done a ton of channel fishing, but never any Flatheads, looking forward to catching my first.

Ryan,
    i have no problem driving at all, we'll definately hook up

Jim,
    We'll have to get together also, mabye you, Ryan, and i get get together and talk football. :p

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    You not gonna take a 2 month break :rolleyes: I put $10 that you won't last a month....lol!

12. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

LOL Robb, I am just afraid the time frame I get out there there won't be much availible for fishing until the water and the air temp come up a little, but you know me I will do everything possible to get on the water. :D

Jim,
    Sounds like a plan to me, we will definately have to get together. I am also looking forward to getting my bow tuned back up and trying for a deer this fall. Been a couple of years since I have been archery hunting, but I plan on getting back into it and going exclusively back to archery this fall.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you guys sound like your getting a gathering going. lol we should try to get a saturday threw sunday float trip set up. maybe put in east of peru and take out west of logansport?

14. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Is there a ramp east of peru? I thought there was a small damn or something in peru also.

15. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

I am game, any excuse to get out fishing :D

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    wasnt thinking about ramps shortbus the river is real shallow most places. we would have to use small portagable craft. i use a light 12 footer for work like that. i looked at the river on terra server. it looks like you mite be rite about the dam in peru. it was just a suggestion to get some input. i bet baitfish will know a piece about that streatch of the bash. i have only fished small sections of it myself.

17. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dinkbuster1 brings up a great point. As of this post, White River near Centerton is 41.9 degrees and the level is low. Just south of Centerton is the Martinsville dam, and it's my guess we could add at least another 5+ degrees to the water temp, due to the hot spillway into the dam from the power plant. Hopefully it will reach 43 degrees weather temp. like they're callin' for, then I'm goin' out. Never caught a blue.....maybe today could be my day! :D

CRACKR

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have tried the winter warm up thing for flaties to no avail. it works good on channels though. you get a substancial warming trend and they go wild! in spring after 50* water temps arive the flatheads slowly wake up. now i dont have any blue cats up here so im not very up on them. i have fished them a few times in winter and they seam to realy like the cold temps.
    its strange to see the different habits of fish in the same spieces. channels n flats are two very different fish. the channels are roamers that will eat anything short of pioson. the flatheads seam to be more at home just layin around waiting for fresh food to come too close. lip a channel and he will try to bite. lip a flat and they just hang there with a smile,accept at certain times of the year. lol it funny at times how such a verosious preditor can be so dosile n gentil.

enough rambling tight lines all. be sure to post your wabash trip sujestions!

19. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You got ur gear ready...if you got the bait I got the time cuz.

20. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i went fishing 2 weeks ago, and caught some fittly channels and got into some suckers and river drum.