Cabin Fever

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I don't know if anyone else feels what I do, but I'm going nuts! I got the January blues.
    I woke up this morning, and it was 6 degrees outside. The sun was shinning, but it didn't make me feel any better about the cold. My thoughts are, sitting on the bank of a river waiting for my rod to start dancing. I guess it's that time of the year. I don't even have the where for all to get my ice fishing gear together and go sit in the cold, on the ice, and freeze my butt off.
    I've cleaned all my guns in my gun safe. Cleaned the garage, which was a major chore in itself. Got all my tackle, rod & reels cleaned. I even went down to the store and got my Turkey pemit for this up and coming Spring hunt. It just doesn't seem to make the month of January go away. Help Me! Help Me! Help me! I got cabin fever. I don't want to wish my life away, but, come on Spring, come on.
    Sparky

2. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    DANG!! Sparky,
    I really wish I could help you but sounds like to me you got a really bad case.
    6 degrees ?? Man thas cold!!!!
    I live in Florida and I thought 59 degrees is cold.
    I guess sometimes we really don't realize how other people are affected by the cold weather.
    Good luck to you I gotta go wash my truck:lol:

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Thanks alot mr Larson I was sitting here clawing at the walls thinking i was going to make it till spring and now this!:dribble: :too_sad:

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Just hold steady boys! We only have around 90 days of this craPpPpP left.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Yep know how you feel.I've checked my tackle box so many times I think I've wore the hinges out,changed the line on some reels,bought a new R&R put line on it ,took it in yard ,tossed it couple times to see how it was gonna cast and that was with 4"ice&snow on the ground.Other than that nope I'm not bored Yeah Right.Problem is the way they are talking this cold snap is to hang around till middle of Feb.Figures don't it.

6. ohiocatman62

ohiocatman62 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you have 51 days until spring!

7. Cat Dracula

Cat Dracula New Member

State:
    Metarie, LA
    Hey Archer. I don't know if its the same where you are, but my inlaws just got 9" of snow with more in the near future. I got lucky and moved down from Iowa last Jan. and i'm not going back. It will be 53 here in LA today and a low of 43 tonight. My inlaws are just 15 miles north of S Bend, IN. I have cabin fever, but its for the tournaments to start. LOL on the frozen stuff.

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I feel your pain!
    And its only supposed to get colder over the next few weeks...
    I think I'm going to build one of those wire mesh bait traps, and then maybe rig up a 55 gallon drum for a live bait well in the back yard.
    I sure hope this means winter ends early.

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:

My in-laws live just north of yours near the Indiana-Michigan line. They got 16" Saturday night and were supposed to get another 10 by the end of today.
    That Lake Effect Snow is a killer...
    How's everything in "Me-try"? I have'nt been there since 1982...

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know exactly what you are talking about. Yesterday the high was 20 with winds 15 - 20 mph. You can only organize the tackle bag so many times. I will guarantee all of my knives and hooks are razor sharp and all reels have new line and I am tired of watching the guys on TV yanking 2 pound bass out of the water and acting like they are fishing. They should be cutting them up for bait.

11. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    we need some group with some power in washington to get a national fishing license to replace the out of state prices and then more of yall could come down to south texas and florida for the winter and fish. i have some friends from kansas and oklahoma that are down here now. they stay here every winter and fish. i go to kaw lake in oklahoma every june and fish with them. oklahoma is one of the few states i have fished in with a reasonable out of state license. it is to cold to fish today, even in texas. (33 degrees this morning)

12. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Our family was just talking about this yesterday and we all agreed tha Jan is the longest and most boring month of the year Before you know it we will all be wetting our lines .
    Your BOC SISTER
    Sharon

13. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I couldnt agree more. I have gotten to the point where I am dreaming about fishing when I sleep. If the weather doesnt change soon Im going to go nuts.

14. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I've been thinking about making a live well myself. I'm just not sure what to use, metal or plastic. A friend of mine has an old watering trough he said I could have.
    It has a few holes in it, but he thinks it can be repaired.
    Now. I have to find some kind of pump. Anyone got any cheap Ideas?
    Sparky

15. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Sparky-
    I saw a 12 volt sprayer/aerator at a Dunham's for $20.
    My plan is to use a plastic drum, buried about 1/2 way in the ground LAYING ON IT'S SIDE. (I don't want it deep enough for some kid to meet his end in it.) I'll use the Sawzall to cut a hole in the side that can be reattached with some hinges for easy access. Then I can mount the sprayer/aerator on a brick or something so it can be removed easy. I'll just need a 12V converter so I can run it off a regular outlet.
    I figure it will stay cooler buried part way in the ground.
    Actually, it will probably be hard to keep gills or chubs or shiners alive in it very long, especially when its hot outside. I bet it will keep bullheads & suckers pretty well though.
    Tony

16. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    That sounds like a good idea, my only concern would be how to drain the tank to clean and put fresh water in it.
    Sparky

17. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I had the same problem with a removable live well in my boat...solution...pumped the water out with the same aerator by adding a longer hose.:wink:

18. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    A great question and a great answer, thanks Ken.
    I was planning to use a little pump I have that chucks into a drill motor. It uses standard garden hose, so it will handle the, er, solid material along with the dirty water.

19. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I hear ya guys on the Winter Blues. You just have to get out there and make the best of it. Go bunny hunting, or scout you deer hunting area for next year. Might even find a shed antler or a tree a big longbeard is roosting in. Better yet get out there and cruise the river and see how the winter has changed the logjam situation. I always look forward to checking out the new arrangement of logs and brush the ice jams have deposited. My best hole last season was a brand new logjam I found in February last year. Or there's always ice fishing. If your into that kind of thing. Hard to beat fresh fried walleye after a cold day on the ice.

Dan

Attached Files:

20. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Nice fish Riverkat!

I miss spring too.... Been missing it a while now. go here... it may or may not help. LOL

:wink: :cool2:

only a lil while to go!