Cabin Creek off the Arkansas River

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by TOPS, Feb 26, 2009.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Tommy and I fished cabin creek today 26 Feb 2009, we managed to catch 4 in the high winds, fishing was hard in the wind.

Attached Files:

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    hey tree ............. i like the rod holders :wink:................. do u have the board strapped down some sorta way ???????

3. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    Hey Top!

Where's the picture of you?

Come on now, don't hold out on us.

Tommy

4. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    Coach,

Thanks. I tried to listen to your advice on using separate stands for each holder.

They are mounted on a piece of OSB board as an experiment to make sure of where I want them.

I put a hole in the board where the seat pedestal holds them down.

5. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Tops, looks like y'all had a good time. :006:

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My little fish are to small to show with yours Tommy,I am glad we broke the ice for this year.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Way to go Top go get them

8. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Glad ya"ll got into some fish.

I have been eyeballing that area of the river as well as a couple more spots around there. Some of them i had already discussed with Top at the nuke plant.

Have also been wondering about the area where the Petit jean River joins the Arkansas as well as the Petit Jean River. Anyone fished around these areas then your input would be welcomed.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    newt i aint fished the mouth of peti jean but ive fished it at danville 30 miles up river and when its on flood stage i catch a lot of blues there.theres a dam just above the hyway and in summer you can catch a ton of big shad.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When we lived up in Atkins, I fished that area a lot.
    One good spot is the dike that runs parallel to the river just before the Petit Jean hits the Arkansas. To help you identify the right dike, there's an underwater dike running from the upstream end of the dike toward the shore. This is one of the very few places on the river where I could catch fish when there was no current...fishing on the shore side of the dike. All of those dikes along that section of the river are good, but this one always seemed to be the best.
    The rock bluff where the Petit Jean comes in looks like a flathead heaven, but it's really tough to fish.
    Downstream a ways, where the channel is all the way on the left, there's a big huge sand/gravel bar on your right; the channel is pretty narrow. On the other side of the sandbar seems to be where the channel used to run, because it's deep there, and there's pilings where barges used to tie up. Good spot. Big fish there.
    Bring a map to DeGray and I'll try to mark some spots for you.
    Where are you putting in? There's some good spots up around Sweeden Island Park, too.

11. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Jerry, I have not thought of where i would put in yet. I just have had a lot of time on my hands while sick and have been looking at all my maps of the Arkansas River around that area while i was laid up in bed.

Gets warmer, I plan on makiong a couple trips up that way and fishing by boat at places i have never been to on the river. If I fish the Petit Jean, then i may put in at Pontoon or somewhere like that.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    newt if you just looking for a place to fish lets plan a trip bout the middle of may or first of june.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've been by Pontoon a few times, but I've never fished right in that area. I remember a nice little branch running into the Petit Jean; it was on the right as I was going upstream, somewhere below Pontoon. Can't remember how far below, though.
    I'll tell you a good place to fish the upper Petit Jean, but you'll probably want to use a jon boat rather than your bass boat. Look at where hwy. 7 crosses the Petit Jean. If you are traveling from the Dardanelle direction, cross over the bridge, and immediately look for a place where you can pull off the road on the right. At this point, you can back a pickup & trailer down to the water. Well...you could the last time I was by there; it's been several years. Take notice of the shallows immediately downstream. Go that way, and you'll have to get out and drag your boat back. Upstream is the way to go. Before you ever get your boat launched, you'll notice the big clay bank on the outside bend just upstream. Good looking spot. Go around the bend so that you're out of sight of where you put in, and you will start finding all sorts of trees and logs in the water. Lots of good spots, and lots of fish. While a small outboard is nice, this is actually a place where you could get by with a good trolling motor and a good battery.