Cabelas Whuppin' Sticks?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by dinkbuster1, Mar 22, 2008.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anybody own one? i am looking at the 9' spinning model. they seem to be made similar to an ugly stick but are much cheaper. are they as tough as they claim? i am mostly concerned with the ceramic popping out of the guides, friend bought a couple of their "King-Kat" rods and they had horrible guides.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I own one. It's a rod that will catch fish. Would I buy another? Nope to freaking flimsy. I guess if you fish for small ones well then there you go.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I am with this guy. I bought one last year so I can practice using a bait caster. Possibly good Large Mouth and Channel Cat rod. The salt water ones they had seemed a bit better (read stout). Its basically a cheaper ugly stick they even got the picture of the same guy bending the rod. I believe its just an ugly stick with less graphite in it.... Just my two cents though...

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have one there pretty good rods

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For a channel rod it would be ok, the guides are a little better than the king kats if I remember correctly.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I figured whoopin stick was fer some 'o' dem PETA freaks messin with your fishin trip:wink:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well if you have a cabelas near by they will replace it if you have any problems with it. same with the king kats. the eyes seem simmular on both and the action is the same imo they are good for circles and they seem to be tough. they are flimsy but ive pulled pretty hard on them after the bend is bent without them breaking. ive been happy with bouth rods for the price. so if you werent happy with the reg king kats you probally wont be happy with a whupping stik.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I just ordered one the other day and can't wait to get out and try it.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I received the WHUPPIN'Stick WSSM70-2 7'-0" Action:M Line wt.6-15 lb. as a gift a few years ago.I haven't used it much but,it cast well with assorted open faced and Under Spin spinning reels and 10-12 lb.line.Handled,Bream,Bull head,3-4 lb.Channel Cats and 6+ lb.Bow Fin great.

I did have some old "Glass Cabela's rods" with no lettering left on them that have lasted many years (20-30).The tips,guides and such that were damaged or replaced were all due to damage that had nothing to do with fishing.I recently gave a friend and member a handful of them and other old rods as he asked for them to redo and use as he builds rods.

A word of CAUTION with these rods and many others.Mine has a cork grip/reel seat forward with internal threads.I have read where many put their best "Macho Man" grip on this to tighten their reel down in the seat.You should use the narrow "Nylon" part next to the reel seat for this.It seems as if the average moron can twist the cork off of the rod as you can on most rods if you pull wrenches or such for a living with your hands and try this.Cork is not a strong wood and is not put on a rod or anything else to resist such.Most reel seats can be damaged if overtightened.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I just picked up 2, 8 ft, h action, casting Whuppin' Stiks with cork handles, ceramic guides, for 25.00 a pop. I haven't fished them yet but for the money, I think they will be hard to beat.... I compared them to the King Kat rods side by side and for 5.00 more, the whuppin stik is way more rod for the money.

However, lets see how they fish...

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got the same one just waiting to get a fish on and see how it handles

12. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I visited the Cabela's up in Hazlewood they had a 1/2 price sale going on and I made the mistake of having the 8' hvy duty 2pc Spinning in my hand when the wife walked up. I've not had a chance to use it under actual conditions but I think for the money it will work O.K., and would probably be O.K. for an inexpensive option but if I am going for the "BIGGUN'S" I will either use my Shakespeare Big Water Rods or my custom rod!
    I think at this point I am going to side with some of the other Brothers that have already posted in that based on my small amount of experience, if I had to choose between the Cabela's Rod or the Shakespeare Big Water I would grab the Big Water Rod in half a heartbeat!:wink:
    Please remember that I may be entirely WRONG in that decision too! Like most things in life, you pay your money and take your chances. :big_smile::smile2:
    If I get the chance to give the rod a decent workout I will be sure to make a post letting everyone know what I was able to find out at the time.
    I do know that Cabela's STANDS BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS 100% and what very, very, few times I have had to send something back, it has NEVER been a problem!! Always an apology from the person on the other end of the phone and professional, COURTEOUS, help during the whole process!!:big_smile: That in itself counts for something with me!
    I hope this helps you all out a bit. If anyone should remember, when you get the chance to use your rods, PLEASE send me a PM letting me know exactly what you feel, good OR BAD, about the rods! I would really be interested in knowing and unless you tell me otherwise, anything you tell me will not be repeated using your name! I believe in confidentiality at times too!:wink: I may say something like "I have heard that this rod does ... ..." but there will be no names mentioned unless you tell me to do so!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Msg]]]]]

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Coyote, you are so right...A big water ugly stik is 5 times the rod that a whupin stick is...They cost more, but are well worth the money if you can afford them.

14. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have the 8' heavy in the spinning , no complaints so far !!!