cabelas salt striker

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Dec 8, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i got one for 40 bucks, i wanted a spinning reel that had a good drag and i was wondering how theese things are, havent used it yet due to the fact i use spinning reels for blues, there white and silver

2. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Is it the baitfeeder version? If so you did well. I have 4 of them and haven't been let down yet. They are the same reel as the Okuma Epixors, only a different color.

3. That would be a great deal it if was, I know I want one or two!:big_smile:

4. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Santa Claus is coming to town! Have you been a good boy this year?!? :roll_eyes:

5. I tried my best!:embarassed: I think I drank too much beer though....:sad2:

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no its not the bait feeder version,it dont have that feater i was going to get it but i dident want it it was 60 bucks and it was out of stock,ill look it up

7. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think you got what was called the "Salt Striker Metal." Many guys use them in the surf and they hold up well. IIRC that model is now discontinued?

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well the reveiws all give it five stars,so i guess i made the right choice,one guy said the line gets hung up wen he cast and gave it one star,i havent taken it out of the box yet waiting till i get a poll to match it

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got one without the bait feeder and it's been going strong for 2 years

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes that is what i got

11. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have been trying to find a thread I read a while back about them over on a stripers forum. IIRC, the metals are made by Plfueger, not Okuma. Either way the thread I read everyone commended them and said they were a great reel! I think you will be pleased

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well the dude at cabeles told me they were made by okuma but who knows if he was telling the truth,does yours get caght on the spool wen you sling it out

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the model is ssm80 and came with an extra spool

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the salt strikers are made by okuma, i have the the 65 baitrunner model and love it. casts a mile and has a loud clicker

15. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nope. Like I said I have 4 of the baitfeeder models and they all work great. They are not my go to reels for catfish (as I use Abus) but I still throw them out on a pretty regular basis! I am actually getting another (SSBF65) for christmas to go on a 10ft surf rod!

16. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The graphite bodied Salt Strikers (baitfeeder and regular spinning) are indeed made by Okuma, exact copies of the Epixor (baitfeeder and regular spinning) series of reels. The Salt Striker Metals, in question, are actually made by Pflueger. The metals are exact copies of the older Pflueger Medalist series of reels. The Salt Striker Metals seem to be very good reels, even though they are now discontinued! Here is one, of many, threads on them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

My wife has 3 of the baitfeeder models and 4 of the Saltstriker metals.I had more,but sold off 4 or 5 this fall.I,ve never experienced one problem with any of them and they get fished hard.The baitfeeders are going on 8 years and the metals are going on 3 years.Never had a bail failure yet or anything else.Unless you run it over with your car or something,I think you,ll get a lot of good fishing time out of them.Cabelas has run them on sale for 1/2 price(39.99) at least once a year and sometimes twice for the last couple years.I got a couple of the smaller SSMetals myself and use em on my steelie rods.:wink:

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I THINK HE SAID THAT I GOT THE LAST ONE AND THEY WERE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET HE HAD IT ON DISPLAY AND I TOOK THE DISPLAY,I THINK I GOT THE MODEL NUMBER RIGHT

19. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Love the Salt-Striker reels...

couple years back I got a Salt-Striker baitcaster when they discontinued. Essentially a round Trion 66. Love that reel. Very solid, nice casting, smooth drag. I was looking for another one on e Bay recently, no one seems to be selling them.

I picked up a Salt-Striker baitfeeder last year, haven't used a lot yet, but it seems like a keeper. It's basically an Okuma epixor, which is a nice catfish reel (if you like spinning gear). I'm fishing channel cats and flatheads with both reels, I was running 20# mono on the spinning reel but I think this season I'm loading both with 80# power pro.

The baitfeeder function works nice, but I hardly use it. The clicker on the casting reel isn't real loud, and you can barely hear it on the baitfeeder...i like the clicker option, but typically don't use so that's fine.

shawn