Cabela's Salt Striker combo

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Just an FYI for anyone looking for some new gear. Cabelas has a Salt Striker BAIT FEEDER 6500 spinning combo with a King Kat rod on sale for $49.99. I have been using 3 of these reels for a couple of years and really like them. Baitfeeder spinning is all I ever use. I think I paid about this much for the reel alone. Don't know much about the King Kat rod but this is a heck of a deal for this outfit.
    Sale ends this sunday 2/22.

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use the king kat poles and also have a salt striker 6500, those are a great set-up at a great price

3. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I saw that it is a good deal. Just a warning on the reel...I use them for channel cats on a salmon rod.I have broken a gear inside 'em twice on the hookset.Where the base attaches is plastic. You would think that since the reel proposes to be salt water it would be heavy duty but the frame is made of plastic.Last summer I was fighting a 8 lb. channel and the reel broke at the seat.I had posted a pic of the reel in 2 pieces it won't let you use the same pic twice or I would post it.If you look up the Pleasonton thread ks lakes it's in there. I still use this same reel but Cabela's has replaced it free 3 times.

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Lucky you to live near cabelas.

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have to back Lendog on this those reels seem very strong maybe you just got defective batch :confused2:

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have heard a lot of bad things on the reel too, other than what Eric has posted on them. But then again it was the same Cabelas store so it might had been a bad batch that the store got. I would say for the money look in to the OKUMA AVENGER. I know Steve Brown has had great luck with them and so has others and they have been put to the test a lot.

7. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I have never broke any of the other Cabela's stuff before. I'd say the King Kat reels are bulletproof. Salt Strikers are made by Okuma under contract for Cabela's. The frame is made of plastic look at it closely. Of course Keith says it's my Jimmy Houston hook set that's breaking them.

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have 3 or 4 of the king kat poles(two 7 ft, one 8 ft, one 6 ft) and i believe they would hold up to anything in the river,especially now that they have improved the design of them and made them a little beefy'er than they were before and with better eyelets, i have had an issue with the king kat reel, one of the reels the drag wouldn't thighten and i needed to add a washer to make it tighten, also a couple of my friends had the same thing happen, but its an easy fix.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I agree that the poles are good I have a few as back up poles its the reel that I have seen and heard issues with.

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yea and now the new poles are coming out with 12-30 line weight making them better then the one's that were out before x-mas, i got a 7 ft'er in october and it was 12-25 line weight, then the wife got me another 7 ft'er for x-mas and thats when i learned the change to 12-30, i have a saltstriker 6500 on my 8 ft'er which is a great match and a very smooth reel, on the 7 ft'ers i took the king kat reels off and replaced them with shimano 4500 baitrunners and use the KK reels as spares, but it's hard to beat those poles for the price

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I caught my PB 45 lb. flathead on a Cabela King Kat 8' MH 2 piece spinning rod, with an Okuma Epixor EB 50 spinning reel, with 20 lb. Berkley Big Game line. Ive since changed to 30 lb. power pro line, but the rod and reel are still in great shape. They are my channel cat rods now, but I pulled in 5 or more 13-18 lb. channels last year with them , and numerous 3-10 lb. channels, with no problems whatsoever. One thing Ive learned in the past few years fishing for cats, is that when you are just going to the lake to have a good time, and catch some channels , with the occasional big one, you dont need to have the biggest baddest equipment you can get. The CKK rod is an awesome rod, and its only 20-25 bucks. Get two of those and a couple good spinning reels, take care of them, and youll have 2 good setups that will last you many years to come. Ive caught so many fish on my CKK rods, I quit counting. Now when you need to get big equipment is when you fish the Kaw prespawn for those big blues or the MO for the same , then youll need to upgrade. Good luck fishing this season fellas, and dont let the CKK rods price tag fool you, they are worth every penny. :cool2:

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Oh , I almost forgot, yes Delbert does have a Jimmy Houston hookset. Several times last year , he almost threw me out of the boat, so if you set the hook like Delbert and tighten your drag down hard, maybe you should go with the Shimano Baitrunner or Penn Captiva Live Liner for that extra tough hookset. By the way , Ol' Delbert is one of the finest SFL Channel Cat fisherman I have ever met , he just doesnt warn you that he's about to rock the boat down a good 2 1/2 ft with a hook set , so when you go with him fishing those big channels , keep one eye on him , and be prepared to brace yourself. :smile2::wink:

14. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I'm trying to keep those channels from wrapping me up on those feeder chains so you gotta horse 'em away from under the feeders. It's kinda like trying to get my wife away from the buffet table at Ryans.Need to get her a belly piercing so we can hook up the truck to pull her away from the buffet table. Nah! big girls don't get belly rings they get onion rings! Once ole Keith got the hang of it he was kickin our butt at the big lake.I thought you were gonna fall out when the wind came up at hillsdale while we were crappie fishing. Keith had a death grip on the rail on the console and he was turning white as a ghost. We were only going about 50. That boat will do 70 with a light load. I don't think he'd ever gone that fast in a boat before.He was a little green around the gills. I didn't think it was that rough compared to Melvern where the outboard came out of the water twice.

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thats some funny stuff right there i dont care who you are:smile2::smile2:

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah , I forgot all about that. I almost died at Hillsdale last year. Delbert has a really FAST boat.