Cabela's Salt Striker Bait Feeder or Penn Captiva Liveliner spinning reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by HUSKER77, Apr 21, 2007.

1. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    I WAS NEEDING SOME OPINIONS ON THE CABELA'S SALT STRIKER BAIT FEEDER OR PENN CAPTIVA LIVELINER SPINNING REELS?
    WHICH ONE WOULD YOU PICK BASED ON KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE WITH THESE REELS?
    THANK YOU!

2. Cat-dory

Cat-dory Guest

I bought 2 Captiva 6000 reels last year...BOTH...thats right ...BOTH... broke in less than 24 hrs......Buyer Beware

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Not many people have heard of Tica reels but I have been using their Tica Sportera 4507 bait runner for two seasons now and never once have a problem with it.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have 2 Salt Strikers. Other than a drag issue that strangely disappeared (User error maybe? :roll_eyes: ), They are good reels. Caught a 5 and a 7/7 channel today on a 12' Shakespeare rod and the Salt Striker. Probably had 100+ yds of string out in the current w/ 5 oz's of weight and horsed em in like nobody's business.

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    HUSKER77, the header is correct and the product is rightly named. I have heard things about the Penn and I would not purchase one! I have also heard things about the Salt Striker and say that is is an OKUMA with a different brand. You may want to look into that before you buy. That being said, I am fishing with a ABF65 and think that it was a GREAT buy for the money and quality. JMHO!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

The guy at Cabelas told me that their Salt Striker was made by Daiwa but he could've been wrong too.

7. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have a salt striker as does my brother. We have had no problems. I even threw an anchor out of the boat on top of my rod and bent the handle on mine and bent it back and it is good as new. I have caught channels to 10# but wouldn't be afraid to tie into much bigger (I wish!). The guy at Cabelas also told me they were made by Okuma and if you look at some of their models they are virtual twins.

I would by the SS. JMHO

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    myself i have had no problems at all with my 4000 PENN CAPTIVA LIVELINER love the thing nice and smooth ,i have it on a 7' ugly stik have got a lot of channels with some up to 10lb, got a mess of high end rods and reels and i would have to say its my favorite for channels as of now

9. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    have not tried the tica yet rob, but they do look like nice, fair priced reels!
    we have an okuma that we (she) love (loves) the thing has been thru two seasons and it looks and acts like new. i just ordered a smaller version so i could actually get my hands on one for a season! the drag on the okuma's is the best part, bigger washers, just like bigger brakes. the 10 bearing system for the rotating assembly is smooth as glass. no problem setting the drag at 1/3 line test but haven't needed to go further (50 # power pro).
    the bait feeder is a bit hard to hear, but it maintains tension on the line so hooksets are there without any slack in the line. added bonus ifyou don't use circle hooks.

Eric B