Cabelas predator rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by joadb, Feb 23, 2007.

1. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i just purchased two cabelas european predator casting rods ,has anybody ever used these rods.if so what do you think?will they hold up to big flats?all of my other rods are e-glass[tigers,glowsticks]these are graphite and that kind of makes me nervous.thanks

2. jmon

jmon New Member

State:
    il
    i have had one for years. never any big fish on one but the carp guys love them they will cast a mile

3. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    They don't seem to make them heavy enough to sling big baits and heavy sinkers. 20 lb line and 2 oz sinkers. I would like to have one if it would handle about 8 oz bait and sinker.

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have one and would love to have a couple more .

5. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Yeah all the carpers use them in the USA..there rated by the test curve and will really sling 1 oz of lead forever with and openface
    They hold up well and are by all standards a quality rod

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    unless your fishing in open water like a lake i wouldnt use them for flatties. they are designed for casting small/medium dough and cut baits and dont do well at all slinging live baits. i have owned about four of them since 1991 and use them for lake fishing carp and channels for which they are an awesome rod! will blast a 1oz sinker and a peice of shad over 100-150 yards. i tried them years ago in the river for flatties, just not enough backbone to horse a fish from cover or in current.

7. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    The flathead in my avatar (29lb 8oz) was caught on a Cabela's Predator rod 1 3/4lb test curve. It was caught in open water. I would not suggest you use those rods for flathead in a snag filled area. However, this style of rod in a 3lb test curve works fine for flathead. I have two setups using 3lb test curve rods. I fish for flathead with them at the Ohio river all the time and have no problems with them. I have yet to catch a really large flathead on them, but I have no doubt that they would handle it well.